Gransnet forums

News & politics

Momentum

(48 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 06-Dec-16 10:22:32

War has broken out in momentum . Seems some members are not happy that trots have inflatrated and are taking control . How I wish we had one momentum member in this forum to explain what is going on

petra Tue 06-Dec-16 17:16:32

AB wink

rosesarered Tue 06-Dec-16 17:18:24

It was always going to happen!

Ana Tue 06-Dec-16 17:26:00

It's the Curse of Corbyn!

Anniebach Tue 06-Dec-16 17:32:06

The baffling thing is, they didn't know yet had the communist party st their conference selling their newspaper . It was bloody obvious Poor fools

petra Tue 06-Dec-16 19:09:36

AB I'm sure there'll be a blue link along in a little while, or a stinging rebuke of your facts.

Anniebach Tue 06-Dec-16 20:35:56

Wouldn't be surprised Petra but it is true,

There was a meeting last Saturday and seems there is a split between those still loyal to Corbyn and those who fear Corbyn will prove too willing to compromise in an attempt to make "new politics" work .

Jackie Webster who caused a storm and was suspended from the Labour Party in September because she was recorded at a momentum training dsy saying she had not found a definition of anti semitism she could work with , has been appointed to Momentums conference arrangements committe .

Laura Murrsy ,womens representative , has claimed the tatics of the Alliance Workers
Liberty are contributing to a form of hard left warfare in the Corbynite group, she calls them a Trotskyite faction . 'They are vocal, disruptive and over-bearing minority who have won themselves key positions in regional committees, National Committie and the Steering Committie.

Paul Mason - often quoted here - has joined momentum to support Jon Lansman - the trots trying to grt him out !

Murray also said when she arrived at the meeting what I witnessed was horrible.

So my warnings were spot on yet mocked

rosesarered Tue 06-Dec-16 20:52:23

Not by ALL of us ab , chilling isn't it?

Anniebach Tue 06-Dec-16 21:02:54

No, not by all Rosesarered and I give thanks for that, i was panicked by the thought of admitting I had been wrong but had to do so.

yes it is chilling but even more chilling is the thought of what is being plotted in dark places

whitewave Tue 06-Dec-16 21:04:54

You sound like the Queen Annie grin

Ana Tue 06-Dec-16 21:20:58

At least we know you certainly would be honest enough to admit it if you were wrong, Annie. That's a very commendable quality which doesn't come easily to everyone.

Anniebach Tue 06-Dec-16 21:29:23

Realy whitewave? I never noticed her welsh accent, you are obviously more observant than me

whitewave Tue 06-Dec-16 21:31:53

No I mean when she talked of "dark forces" at work in the UK.

Anniebach Tue 06-Dec-16 21:51:47

Did she?

POGS Fri 09-Dec-16 14:50:57

My views have been clear from day one about Momentum and challenged repeatedly on Gransnet but I think some people are coming to understand what a few have been saying since Momentums inception to support Corbyn the individual not the Labour Party and called Momentum ' a party within a party ', a fact vehemently denied by many. If you dared to mention Trotskyist, far left connections boy oh boy were you out on a limb.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost. It was interesting to listen to the BBC Daily Politics program 8.12.16 interviewing left wing journalist Paul Mason , a Momentum member and praised by some Gransnetters. He has been full on in support of Momentum but some truths are becoming indefensible and at least he was honest.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38258143

labourlist.org/2016/12/paul-mason-on-the-brink-of-quitting-momentum-as-internal-democracy-row-continues/

Are there truths in the BBC headline ' Is Momentum at war with itself'? I find some points raised by the Workers Liberty Party interesting.

www.workersliberty.org/node/27367
Extracts

'The writer Paul Mason told the BBC Daily Politics on 8 December that, although he had "never been to a Momentum meeting", he demanded a purge. "If Jill Mountford [a National Committee member of Momentum]... remains basically an expelled member of the Party and remains in Momentum, I will not remain in Momentum".'

'Remember: the Compliance Unit could well expel Paul Mason - he is an ex-member of a Trotskyist group, and surely has said unkind things about Labour right-wingers on social media.

Owen Jones, another figure on the fringe of Momentum, another one who could well be expelled by the Compliance Unit if they choose, has used the Guardian to claim that the issue in Momentum is "a takeover bid by Trotskyist sectarians".

Mason, Jones, and others should put aside their megaphones. They should come and discuss the best way to build unity and effective campaigning for Momentum.'

Both Mason and Owen Jones have been lauded by some posters yet even they are seemingly becoming a problem to some in Momentum, if they are seen as such then that lord knows how Joe Soap who joined with the very best of intentions are viewed.

grumppa Fri 09-Dec-16 14:54:15

I recall being shot down in flames very early on for saying Momentum would dump JC if he didn't toe the line.

petra Fri 09-Dec-16 14:59:02

I knew there would be blue links coming but I didn't think it would be from you,POGS
smile

POGS Fri 09-Dec-16 15:02:16

I have learnt the 'If you can't beat them join them' phrase has it's uses.

Ana Fri 09-Dec-16 15:06:53

Good to see you back, POGS smile

petra, perhaps certain posters are determined to ignore this thread!

petra Fri 09-Dec-16 16:16:35

Ana I can't think to whom you refer to smile

daphnedill Fri 09-Dec-16 16:17:32

I think I'll write a book and call it 'Animal Farm'. Oh drat! Somebody's already done that!

Ana Fri 09-Dec-16 16:44:10

Yes, there certainly are similarities, Daphnedill.

daphnedill Fri 09-Dec-16 17:09:09

It's amazing really. Ukip seem to be beating themselves up too. It seems the trick to a successful political party is to get on reasonably well with - or at least tolerate - other members. The Conservatives' strength is that they usually hide their squabbles.

It's no wonder the public don't have much confidence in politicians.

Slightly off topic, but an Independent won a council seat in Maldon West yesterday. This is ultra-safe Tory territory and the Conservatives collapsed. My town already has three Independents on the District Council, so the Conservatives aren't universally popular, even in Toryland. There's an open goal, but there don't seem to be any strikers.

Devorgilla Fri 09-Dec-16 21:27:43

Perhaps the secret to success is to maintain the status quo with a few tweaks here and there. Perhaps people feel safe with that at the end of the day. I am not surprised Momentum is having problems. Along with others on this site I predicted it from the beginning. There is always the 'young rat' coming up behind you.

Devorgilla Sat 10-Dec-16 11:38:09

I gather JC is having trouble at his meeting today. Tatchell and co interrupting his speech. Just come onto BBC website for those of you who follow such things. 'Trouble at Mill'?