Gransnet forums

News & politics

The cost of Brexit for us; the ordinary people

(1001 Posts)
MaizieD Mon 12-Dec-16 08:29:59

There have been headlines over the weekend, in response to the recent polling, on the lines of "Nobody voted for Brexit in order to become poorer" (though they were good at dsmissing warnings that they would as 'scaremongering') Richard Murphy takes us through 10 reasons why he thinks it is inevitable. If anyone has an authoritative source to counter his points I'd be happy to see it.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/12/11/ten-reasons-why-brexit-is-bound-to-be-costly-for-ordinary-people/

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:41:25

Now Gone!

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:40:14

Gone! grin 1000

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:39:48

Going!

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:39:37

Leaving!

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:37:56

We can saying 'yippee we are leaving' if anyone likes, but it's not as catchy.

Ana Thu 05-Jan-17 21:37:51

Which leftie blog did you read that on, durhamj?

Nearly at 1000 - someone will have to start a new thread without mentioning the word 'Brexit' grin

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:35:54

Brexit means we are exiting the EU , just a convenient word.

Ana Thu 05-Jan-17 21:34:22

GracesGran you keep insisting that 'Brexit' has no meaning for you, yet you keep posting on this thread.

None of your fellow Remainers seem to have a problem with the word.

durhamjen Thu 05-Jan-17 21:32:43

Isn't Brexit the religion of UKIP?

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:29:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 05-Jan-17 21:28:24

Mair I do not know what you mean by Brexit. It is a word that appears to have no fixed meaning so how come you know that I don't think it is 'correct' (strange word). Nor have I given an opinion on how we should deal with immigration in fact I have gone to great lengths to say it is COMPLEX - too complex to jump to conclusions. There will be a 'best' solution for a period of time but not a 'correct' one in my view.

What has 'faith' got to do with it - unless of course this Brexit is your religion? One big problem is that you appear to see any issues with immigration directly and only linked to us having been a member of the EU - I do not.

WW is not my "chum" (how old are you?) she is another poster, one with whom I would be happy to agree and disagree as the points in the discussion arise. That is what a discussion usually is not beating people over the head with your own particular view.

durhamjen Thu 05-Jan-17 21:23:32

The three Spanish teachers I know are all going back to Spain as soon as they can get jobs. There are more jobs for them teaching English in Spain than teaching Spanish in England.
Those jobs in England are going to be in even shorter supply because of the government's new education policy.
Haven't heard of a school which isn't going to lose staff this year.

Ana Thu 05-Jan-17 21:17:21

(unless of course you meant you were the one in possession of a brain inferior to a goldfish!)

daphnedill Thu 05-Jan-17 21:15:44

Mair, look in the mirror and wonder who the idiot is.

I'm not surprise you don't want to discuss modern languages. You know nowt. grin

I suggest you go back to HQ and get some more arguments.

Ana Thu 05-Jan-17 21:15:39

Blimey, don't mince your words daphnedill! What an offensive post...

daphnedill Thu 05-Jan-17 21:13:36

Oh dear, Mair! You really are a fool. No point discussing anything with somebody spouting from the 'handbook' whilst possessing a brain inferior to a goldfish.

Yeah of course, the ONS is designed to falsify facts! Doh!

Ciao! (That's Italian by the way!)

Mair Thu 05-Jan-17 21:13:03

@Mair Your belief that 'we' should concentrate on Spanish shows what a fool you are.

Up pops abusive daphne yet again with nothing useful to contribute (just as well since I dont want to see this thread diverted into discussing modern language teaching, interesting topic that it is).

Mair Thu 05-Jan-17 21:08:44

I put up those figures as a counter to Daphnes so called "Facts check" where she quoted a very misleading so called "Net" immigration figure, which is designed to confuse the public, and does so pretty effecttively.

GG
I believe that you believe you are being "open and honest" but I do not believe you are approaching this in a reasoned way nor do I agree that your solution is correct.

Of course we all know you dont think Brexit is correct, or tightly
controlling immigration.

Where you and your chum WW are crafty is that you refuse to say what you DO think is the "correct" solution, thus protecting yourself from any challenge to your deeply flawed faith.

It goes without saying that I dont believe you are approaching this in a reasoned way.

daphnedill Thu 05-Jan-17 21:08:18

@Mair Your belief that 'we' should concentrate on Spanish shows what a fool you are.

There's little to be gained from discussing with fools.

JessM Thu 05-Jan-17 21:06:34

Taking the long view - in 20 years time there are likely to be a lot more over 65s than there are now. They will be needing pensions, healthcare and social care.
If immigration was held down too strictly there would be insufficient numbers of people paying taxes and paying into pension schemes to fund those of us who hope to still be around (in droves). There would also be a lack of people to look after us.
But what the figures do tell us is that the government need to stop dragging their sorry feet and start building more living accommodation.

daphnedill Thu 05-Jan-17 21:06:26

Mair is a ls a post-factualist ie liar.

daphnedill Thu 05-Jan-17 21:04:22

I have.

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 20:55:03

And if anybody is unhappy with Mair's figures, then show some other ones?

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 20:53:03

Exactly....let's find all those posts.

Ana Thu 05-Jan-17 20:52:16

Or are you just talking about your own posts?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion