Gransnet forums

News & politics

More gains for Libs

(60 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 09:55:21

Lost council seat in Sandhill, Sunderland to the Libs. Labour vote fell by 29.9 per cent

Gade Valley libs gained from Tories with labour vote slipping yet again

rosesarered Fri 13-Jan-17 10:12:32

Yes, the Libs are making little gains here and there.Difficult to see the big picture about things, but people, on the whole do not like extremes and often go for the centre ground.In local elections,it could be the stance of the particular candidate on some matter.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 10:32:11

We are prepared to lose seats to the libs here in Wales. And yesterday Corbyn insulted the Welsh nation, seems he doesn't know Wales is a country not an area in England

POGS Fri 13-Jan-17 11:42:37

Now Tristram Hunt has resigned from his Stoke on Trent seat it will be interesting to watch there too.

varian Sat 14-Jan-17 09:05:25

The LibDems have made many gains in the last year. As the party is strongly pro-EU this could be expected in areas which voted Remain but Sunderland voted to leave (very much against their own interest). Perhaps people now realise they were mistaken and regret being taken in by the lies told by Farage et al.

Sunderland has always been a Labour stronghold so a 29.9%:fall in the Labour vote when Labour is in opposition is pretty appalling.

There could be another factor, Left leaning voters who rejected the LibDems because of the coalition, now realise that the LibDems promoted good policies and stopped some awful Tory policies and the coalition government was much better than the unfettered Tory rule we have had since.

rosesarered Sat 14-Jan-17 09:09:40

I was pleased we had a coalition government and hoped for the same this time round,
But Lib Dem voters decided to punish their own Party! Simply because they had joined with the Conservatives to form a coalition.....what idiots to do this!

varian Sat 14-Jan-17 09:32:58

Jeremy Corbyn's relaunch was a farce. The Labour party is in meltdown. The SNP is single issue separatist party. The Liberal Democrats are the real voice of opposition.

Anniebach Sat 14-Jan-17 10:20:25

The libs are regaining the trust of the voters , many do not want far right or far left parties

felice Sat 14-Jan-17 12:19:27

I was not going to mention this on here, I joined the Liberal Party in 1975 and have been active since. In fact I was elected onto the BELD(British and European LibDems) executive committee last year.
Our membership here on mainland Europe has quadrupled since the referendum with many new members coming from Labour. Many people since the referendum have become disillusioned with the Labour and Conservative parties, these were party activists and our gain.

Anniebach Sat 14-Jan-17 12:59:22

I am not surprised Felice, we have lost half of the members in our local Labour Party to the libs and I think more are to follow them . We expect our county council to be lib controlled after the elections in May, means a loss of excellent labour councillors

varian Sat 14-Jan-17 21:57:54

Annie I hope your excellent Labour councillors will be replaced by excellent Liberal Democrats. The LibDems are grounded in their local communities and will show you that you no longer need to reject a councillor or MP who is not a member of the party you have always supported. Ask yourself - does the chaotic Corbyn led Labour party still deserve your support?

varian Sun 15-Jan-17 11:41:45

Tim Farron appeared on the Sunday Politics today to set out the Liberal Democrat position on brexit. It seems utterly reasonable to me that, as those who voted to leave knew nothing about the deal we might get, and indeed nobody does at this point, the terms of the future deal should be explained after the negotiations and the Britsh electorate given the chance to accept or reject the deal. It is ironic that those who shout loudest about British democracy will not agree .

Anniebach Sun 15-Jan-17 12:08:31

Varian, the Labour Party has my support , Corbyn does not, I am loyal to the party the same cannot be said of that man and his momentum party

Ankers Sun 15-Jan-17 12:12:54

I sort of see your point varian but
a. I dont think any governemnt of any colour is going to have a referendum about anything anytime soon. Way too risky!
b. Having a referendum costs money
c. If the electorate said no, would then the deal have to be renegotiated ad infinitum, causing several referendum[s] [sp]

Ankers Sun 15-Jan-17 12:15:02

Those who voted to leave, on the whole, were more concerned about getting out of what we are in, than the deal to follow. Almost any deal to follow looked and looks more promising than what is left.

daphnedill Sun 15-Jan-17 12:16:39

What about democracy?

If there's sufficient evidence (and I don't know that there is) to suggest that the public has changed its mind after the details are known, shouldn't people get a chance to express their views?

Ankers Sun 15-Jan-17 12:16:45

Personally I dont the lib dems will get much further than where they were at their peak 20 years ago or so.
A lot of people at the end of their day, do not like their policies[which they have not changed very much?]

daphnedill Sun 15-Jan-17 12:17:38

You are pushing your own view. You don't actually know why people voted as they did.

daphnedill Sun 15-Jan-17 12:18:14

Really? What do you know about LibDem policies?

Ankers Sun 15-Jan-17 12:25:24

But people change their minds all the time dd. It could well be different again in 6 months and 6 months after that.
How many referendums should there be?
In reality they wouldn't stop.

How many times should the scottish people have a referendum on independence. Once a year?
They vote to leave one year, find they dont like it very much, and vote to not have independence the next year?

If people dont like the Brexit deal, I am sure they will let the government know!
Often these types of things are "leaked" in advance. If enough people make enough noise, parts will be quietly dropped or amended, or put on hold[which may be put on hold and then quietly dropped]. This seems to be the way democracy is working lately in this country.

If the deal looked to be awful by the majority of people in this country[and I think this would have to involve many conservative voters being majorly uneasy]then there might be the possibility of a public vote again? Though I doubt it. I think the conservative party[I woudlnt guarantee it] would be so scared of losing power and a substantial number of seats, that they would look at altering major parts of the Brexit deal if they could.
My opinion.

Ankers Sun 15-Jan-17 12:27:09

I dont think, is pushing my own view?
I struggle to see how.
Please tell.

varian Sun 15-Jan-17 19:37:36

The next two byelections are in areas which are not fertile grounds for the LibDems but I will be surprised if the party does not see an increase in its share of the vote.

daphnedill Sun 15-Jan-17 19:45:12

If people are really so fickle that they change their minds every six months, there's a good case for not changing anything, considering how much damage Brexit is going to cause.

I don't know how many people have changed their minds, but it's a matter of principle. If democracy matters so much to the people who claim it does, people should be given an opportunity to vote on the deal once negotiations have taken place.

Ankers Mon 16-Jan-17 08:01:23

A lot of people who voted for Brexit have felt much the same for 40 years! Hardly fickle!!

Ankers Mon 16-Jan-17 08:04:12

The people I know, say it is they that were duped.

They thought that going into Europe was "voting for the common market", something like that.
They had no idea what else was coming besides that.