Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti-Trump Demonstration Today

(297 Posts)
Rinouchka Sat 21-Jan-17 19:15:03

Today, I participated in the Women's March to The American Embassy in London in protest against Trump's attitude to women and to his proposed plans.
There were thousands of woman( and some men, babies in slings and pushchairs, marching children, even dogs on leads), all using the only method left to us to express our solidarity. It was cold, the sun shone, drums beat and people chatted, shared case histories, laughed, sand, cheered to each helicopter flying overhead and marched until they could move no more.
The police were wonderful and it was peaceful all round, full of goodwill.
There were hundreds of pink pussycat hats, original handmade placards and slogans, even a huge vagina in cardboard. My favourite was a placard( in background of one of the photos attached) stating thus:
A woman needs Trump
Like a fish needs climate change.

My DH, who was with me, thinks that the march, especially one in a foreign country, is a feel good moment for the participants but otherwise useless. Trump is now president and such marches, DH thinks, will do nothing to change the course of his government.

I disagree.

What do Gransnetters think?

willsmadnan Sat 21-Jan-17 20:40:43

Sorry stillaliveandkicking you're not making sense. And how dare you refer to someone as a dick ? Elegran is a woman (I think) ...eerm maybe you need an anatomy lesson, or do you not know what the full expression actually is. Sadly, I think I'm feeding a troll.

whitewave Sat 21-Jan-17 20:42:34

I think you are right will time to blank I think

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 20:43:32

It was a saying will, so lets not get above ourselves here. No lesson needed in anatomy.

However, to call me a troll is however a very nasty thing to do, one which I would never stoop so low to do to someone.

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 20:43:55

"All you need do is say "no" in everyday life" Oh is THAT where the women people who have been raped, beaten, given menial jobs, underpaid for their woek, lost that job if they wouldn't accept the treatment, and many other things imposed by the power of someone bigger, stronger, and richer have been getting it wrong? They didn't KNOW that all they had to do was say no?

A load of spherical goolies. When someone who believes that being bigger stronger, richer, non-Muslim, non-Mexican, means he can badmouth and bully becomes the chief of the most powerful nation in the world, just saying no on your own won't do any good.

That is why all those women are demonstrating TOGETHER and not waiting to say no on their own.

Ankers Sat 21-Jan-17 20:44:15

They must all have been browbeaten by the males to vote for him

Really?
You think the women of the USA did that?

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 20:44:34

Apologies for repeating however twice! I am really rather sad and bewildered by someone calling me such.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 20:46:21

Women are not that down trodden Elgran, really we aren't. We can make our own decisions these days and we really very often do.

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 20:46:52

Which is worse, calling someone a troll or a dick?

Anniebach Sat 21-Jan-17 20:47:44

Stillalive, I assume you think women should lose the right to hsve an abortion, for men to grab women by their genitals because they want to, you like Trump dismiss climate change as rubbish, you like Trump are racist? You like Trump would be supported by the KKK. Women marched in many countries today against all Trump stands for

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 20:48:47

Have you gone yet will? Hopefully so and how fecking dare you insinuate that Im a troll.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jan-17 20:53:24

Because you're acting like one mainly Not coming over very well I still think there's testosterone in your posts big breasts or not

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 20:54:33

I think nothing of the sort Annie. I like the fact that Trump is standing up to the megalomaniacs of society same way Brexit is happening. I am neither a stupid uncalled for "racist" nor am i subservient. Its always the same fanatical argument. You cannot accept reform and change. I can.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 20:56:05

I like reform, I don't have to have to hold a bunch of flowers nor to i have to use a douche.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 21-Jan-17 20:58:48

I went on the march with my daughter (and a gazillion other people I know). I'm glad I did

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 21:00:57

How dare YOU call ME names? Equality includes equality in how you are addressed, so if you can't be polite to others why should anyone be polite to you?

Sad and bewildered? Pull the other leg its got bells on. You love a good slanging match, or you wouldn't be calling someone a dick. Stop pretending.

Your opinion is one thing, you are free to hold it. You are NOT free to make it an excuse for insulting those who don't share it.

A troll posts to cause discord and insults people to achieve that end. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 21:03:13

A march against lots of other things may have been more productive cari. I hate the fact that someone who has apologised and has daughters that are very well adjusted, happy and thriving, need to see this. It is ridiculous. To think that women will try to stop the best thing that has happened in decades is madness.

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 21:03:34

WTF has a douche got to do with anything? They went out of fashion decades ago, the only time the word is used these days is when someone calls someone else a douche-bag as an insult.

Anniebach Sat 21-Jan-17 21:04:22

Still alive, and women's rights? You support him changing the sbortion laws ?

whitewave Sat 21-Jan-17 21:05:09

Blimey you learn something every day on GN grin

mcem Sat 21-Jan-17 21:07:58

I've seen threads deleted that didn't reach such levels of rudeness, insults and name-calling. An intelligent poster is forced to defend herself against such utter crassness. Unacceptable!

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 21:08:11

WTF does it matter to you Elgran? WTF does it matter if I believe what you say is shite? Its an opinion and one I think is well justified.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jan-17 21:09:11

First I thought Saak was a man now I ve decided it's the Trump itself.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 21:10:06

A lucid no nonsense poster is allowed to post on a forum mcem no matter how you dislike it.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jan-17 21:11:12

Obviously an American man from the Deep South

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 21:11:13

I love it Bluebelle.

Im sort of what lots of people want to say but for some reason won't.