Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour and Corbyn

(32 Posts)
Fitzy54 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:42:25

Times headline today: "Labour is conducting secret succession planning for Jeremy Corbyn's departure according to leaked documents that warn the party is facing meltdown under his leadership". Labour suffered a terrible result at the last election, but their own research suggests they are on the brink of true collapse with the Conservatives predicted to win 361 seats to Labour's 198. The report says Corbyn is by far Britain's most unpopular leader. What does the party need to do reverse it's fortunes?

daphnedill Sat 18-Feb-17 12:11:12

I would be interested in knowing what people mean by a 'lurch to the left'. I'm interested in policies, rather than personalities or ineptitude. Which of Corbyn's policies do people think are too left-wing?

I see Labour in a no-win situation and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a realignment of political parties over the next few years.

Anniebach Sat 18-Feb-17 13:00:34

Daphne, think on it, he is supported by the communist party, he fought to get trots back in the party, is this a centre left politician ?

I am anti war, anti trident etc, but have no time for the communist party or the trots

I am centre left , no way is that man

daphnedill Sat 18-Feb-17 13:08:44

In that case annie people like you need to tell them they have nothing to fear. If Labour decides to become UKIP lite, they're finished. They're already losing some of their younger voters, particularly on university campuses, who tend to be pro-Remain, socially liberal and regard old style Labour voters as reactionary.

No, annie you've misunderstood me. Give me some examples of actual policies, not name calling, such as trots.

Anniebach Sat 18-Feb-17 13:45:03

Daphne, trots is no more name calling than calling a conservative a Tory

daphnedill Sat 18-Feb-17 14:13:27

It is when they're not Trotskyist. No self-respecting Trotskyist would have any time for them.

So what policies do you actually disagree with?

Do you think Labour should become UKIP-lite to appease its socially right-wing voters?

Anniebach Sun 19-Feb-17 11:06:19

When schools are discussed on QT which of Corbyns three spokespersons will be on the panel, Diane, Emily, Shami?