Gransnet forums

News & politics

Retiring judge warns women who get drunk

(228 Posts)
Nelliemoser Sat 11-Mar-17 19:31:50

Telegraph Reporters 11 March 2017 • 10:45am

* A retiring judge has said women are entitled to "drink themselves into the ground" but must be aware of potential rapists.*
In an impassioned sign-off, Lindsey Kushner QC warned girls' "disinhibited behaviour" put them in danger of being raped by men who "gravitate" towards drunken females.

I have just been listening to the radio and I am appalled by the flack this judge is getting. All she did was to state the very bleeding obvious. That getting off your head on drink or drugs is going to make you very vulnerable to attacks or any other sort of exploitation. She did not even hint that she is "blaming" perpetrators.

Now there are parties are objecting to the judges statement and suggesting that this attitude is placing yet more "Blame on the defendants". Not the perpetrators.
I am largely referring to the party ravers who get pissed out of their minds on a weekend.

Yes the perpetrators are always in the wrong. but there has to be a sensible balance here. I worry that those who are complaining about the judges statement are not showing much balance with regard to this issue.

Somewhere along the line someone really does have to clearly state that everyone has to take some responsibility for their own behaviour and decisions.
Like FGS don't go out and get wasted in town on a night out.
This is a really difficult balance. Any thoughts?

Jayanna9040 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:14:20

LSP, I personally know someone who made a false accusation of rape. Her partner had left her and she hoped that this would bring the partner back. She did not even know the man but described someone who had been in the pub that she was in that night. He was arrested and remanded for three months in prison. He lost his home and his job. He found prison traumatic. His life was ruined. She received a 1 year suspended sentence.

Iam64 Mon 13-Mar-17 07:29:23

The Judge's comments included reference to the fact a woman consented to sex with one man didn't mean his friends could join in. The evidence was clear, the woman consented to sex with the first man, then screamed and said no when his friend had sex with her. He was the rapist who was sentenced to six years.