Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Netherlands fights back against populism

(34 Posts)
varian Thu 16-Mar-17 18:44:02

I was hugely relieved to see that voters in the Netherlands had not gone down the right wing populist path of Brexit and Trump. They have rejected Geert Wilders which means, I hope, that the EU stands strong. If only we had been so responsible and had not condemned ourselves to be left out in the cold.

edition.cnn.com/2017/03/16/europe/netherlands-dutch-results/

Jalima Thu 16-Mar-17 23:25:18

Post Number five
(are you bored yet?)

Rigby46 you posted but didn't give your opinion, I presume you are pleased [?]

durhamjen Thu 16-Mar-17 23:35:58

Pleased that the Green Party gained so many seats, too.

Eloethan Thu 16-Mar-17 23:43:35

Thank goodness.

whitewave Fri 17-Mar-17 07:53:19

It's a shame we couldn't have done the same before Brexit. We were unfortunately in totally short supply (and still are) of good leadership.

rosesarered Fri 17-Mar-17 08:08:03

Am starting to think that maybe even the craft threads have to include a 'Brexit' comment.hmm

Cunco Fri 17-Mar-17 09:39:00

Yet again, a GN thread that implies that if you voted Leave, you have to be in favour of the extreme Right. It is very tiring to keep answering those who would have it so.

If I tried to imply that every Remainer is in favour of an integrated, ever-closer United States of Europe or a travelling companion of Goldman Sachs, I would no doubt, quite rightly, be howled down.

Yes, there are extreme Right people who voted Leave but we are not all extreme Right. The common factor is simply, as the voting paper said, do you want to be in or out of the EU.

Jalima Fri 17-Mar-17 10:23:02

roses grin

Some of the yarn I use is from Turkey - as they are not in the EU will that affect the supply post-Brexit?

rosesarered Fri 17-Mar-17 11:29:49

A. You will be fine with your Turkish yarn Jalima they have had a ding dong with Holland but still like us, here in the UK ( and as you say, they are not yet, if ever, in the EU) so our supplies of Turkish Delight are safe too.grin