Gransnet forums

News & politics

Martin McGuinness

(162 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 21-Mar-17 10:01:08

Whatever part he played in the Peace Process, I will remember him more for the part he played in the IRA atrocities.

No RIP from me, I'm afraid.

nigglynellie Thu 23-Mar-17 16:17:44

It was a terrible business grannypiper, as was the murder of Captain Niarak (spelling) and so many other atrocities committed by terrorist organisations. Unfortunately the army seem to be the only people that appear to be culpable both then and right up to the present day. Others were granted an amnesty for their years of cruelty, but not the soldiers who ironically were sent in the first place to protect Catholics from their neighbours. They unfortunately continue to be pursued. Seems very unfair!

gillybob Thu 23-Mar-17 16:24:39

Absolutely annsixty.

I don't do religion at all but I agree with cherrytree59. MMc claimed to be religious so lets hope he is judged appropriately.

Greyduster Thu 23-Mar-17 16:51:21

One of those widows Ann was the wife of a colleague of my husband's, who was blown apart in a booby trapped house. They will carry McGuiness in his coffin today. There couldn't find enough of this man, so they carried sandbags instead.

rosesarered Thu 23-Mar-17 16:54:33

He claimed to be religous.......really !
It was all done with a political agenda.

Ceesnan Thu 23-Mar-17 17:21:30

Anniebach Derek Wood, the driver, was not "showing off" as you put it. If that was the information given to you by David Howes' best mate then I doubt he really was a mate. The truth is that Derek and David were part of an intelligence unit - Derek was getting ready to leave and was showing Cpl Howes the places where information and equipment were dropped off and collected. Given the layout of Belfast streets it is very easy to get off route and that day a lot of streets had been closed because of the funeral procession. Nobody knows how they ended up where they did, but I find it impossible not to react when I read such a dismissive remark about a mistake that led to such a tragedy.

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 17:40:42

I haven't read this thread through but there was a very appropriate comment in the DT this morning. It said in his obituary that he left a widow, in fact he left hundreds
annsixty that is very true indeed.
And widowers and many motherless and fatherless children.

Anniebach Thu 23-Mar-17 18:29:23

Ceesnan, I tellegence unit who didn't know there was a funeral tsking place or where it was taking place or the srmy had been ordered to avoid the area. I am not going to use the deaths of these two men for a disagreement, I believe what you claim is what the army claim was the truth, it was not.

Judthepud2 Thu 23-Mar-17 18:36:45

Ceesnan ? It seems from many witnesses from the press that the young soldiers, as soon as they realised their mistake, tried to turn the car and get out. They were blocked in by the crowd. However, AB seems to have insider info which calls into question all of this. What do I know?

Leaving this thread now. The memories of all this part of my life are just too unpleasant.

Ceesnan Thu 23-Mar-17 18:55:35

Judthepud2 I think you and I are aware of the truth. It's best to disregard cryptic comments, Like you I lived through those times in Belfast and have no wish to relive them.

Iam64 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:02:31

Judthepud2, I'll be sorry if you leave this thread. I didn't live in Belfast but I had close friends and visited regularly during the period we're discussing. It was always tense but also friendly. For what it's worth, your explanation for what happened is the one I remember.

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 19:20:48

I'm sorry you are leaving the thread Judthepud2 and appreciate, if only secondhand, some of the traumas and difficulties you lived through as I well remember we were often on red or black alert where I worked in the UK and how nervous it made us.