Gransnet forums

News & politics

May or Sturgeon?

(116 Posts)
trisher Wed 22-Mar-17 10:25:06

Ok the question is which is the better politician?
I'm going for Sturgeon. I find her a better speaker, she seems more sincere and more able to withstand questioning.
May sometimes looks like a rabbit in the headlights (I know I'm the leader but what do they want me to say ?)
Occasionally comes across as the Head girl (You must do what the Headmaster wants-it is his school)
And sometimes just seems to be a bit lost and needs her notes.
I know many of you will say it is my political views that have influenced my choice and you may be right. But let me know who you prefer.
Oh and completely un PC but quite fun I think Sturgeon has the better outfits!

Anniebach Wed 22-Mar-17 10:41:58

If I have to then May, but in honesty it's their voices , Sturgeon's voice causes me to switch off/over. Thornbery has the same effect .

Cherrytree59 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:42:05

I believe thst Sturgeon is a very canny lady and should never be underestimated.
But she also reminds me of a terrier with rag between it's teeth.

May has at least shown that she can adapt and work with the majority, even if it was not what she personally had believed in.

A bough that bends with wind does not break.
So for Me it would be May

Cherrytree59 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:43:28

'With the wind'

Teetime Wed 22-Mar-17 10:45:54

May for me too and I'm no Tory. I like her no-nonsense approach and I think she is certainly more in touch with people than her predecessor. Sturgeon - no sorry, she strikes me as a bully.

ninathenana Wed 22-Mar-17 10:48:10

Basically I'd go with the reasoning of the op but they're both a "much of a muchness" as my grannie used to say.
I'm not going to comment on thier polthier.

rosesarered Wed 22-Mar-17 10:54:15

Of course you are influenced by your politics trisher as I have never heard you say a good thing ( ever) about any Conservative politician.

I think that they are both good politicians actually, even though very different characters, and wouldn't have got to where they are today had they not been tough cookies.

jollyg Wed 22-Mar-17 11:04:41

Ill go with you AB. Sturgeon is the new kid on the block. She learnt a lot from Salmond, And she is a rabble rouser. as was Rev Paisley, now he is part of a comedy double act, confined to history

May strikes me as having quite a lot of gravitas, I might think her husband has a lot to do with it, and no kids to distract.

May has to deal with that Delors, he seems to most untrustworthy , and must have EU blood in his veins,
Ill bide my time till the fat [thin]lady has done her bit

trisher Wed 22-Mar-17 11:08:55

I like Kenneth Clarke rar think he is honest, amusing and competent. There I can do it. Struggling to think of another though (there aren't that many politicians I like anyway!)

trisher Wed 22-Mar-17 11:09:27

No one on the outfits?

Alima Wed 22-Mar-17 11:18:40

I used to think Nicola Sturgeon would be a good politician but now she reminds me of a wasp buzzing round a closed window. Lots of flapping with no result. Also reminds me of The Krankies, cannot think why. I think Theresa May is a good politician and a good person, probably the one to be at the helm right now. Not that there is any alternative at the moment, party-wise, thought the Tories are quite able of shooting themselves in the foot, has happened before.

rosesarered Wed 22-Mar-17 11:24:21

On the oufits....I think May wins easily, elegant, business like, but has a touch of 'quirk' now and again.Sturgeon must like what she chooses, but her clothes are usually too tight and brightly coloured, and puff sleeves isn't a good look.I have seen her ( now and again) in darker coloured suits, and she looks miles better in them.

POGS Wed 22-Mar-17 11:24:24

I prefer Ruth Davidson to either of them.

rosesarered Wed 22-Mar-17 11:26:02

Cop out POGS grin but agree that Davidson is a politician to watch for the future.

nigglynellie Wed 22-Mar-17 11:30:57

Mrs May for me by a long straw! (No surprise there I guess!) NS, is far too strident for me, far too dogmatic! Mrs May is, unlike her predecessor, a tough, fair, as much as you can be in politics, and I think a good person. I know she will do the very best she can for the whole of the UK under very difficult circumstances which she herself didn't want. As for clothes?! Not much to choose between them!!!

nigglynellie Wed 22-Mar-17 11:33:00

Ruth Davidson is certainly a lady to watch! I admire her already!

POGS Wed 22-Mar-17 11:44:33

" No one on the outfits?"

Yes, they are 'both' very smart, professionally dressed women who display an understanding of the need their position demands.

I dare say they are 'both' sensible enough and mature enough not to let silly criticisms get them down if any come in their direction.

Do most people really care about their shoes , trousers etc?

daphnedill Wed 22-Mar-17 11:58:53

May is weak. The budget U-turn proved that. She caved in to pressure from her back benchers and the media.

nigglynellie Wed 22-Mar-17 11:59:07

I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe there are those who hold great store by it!!!!!!

nigglynellie Wed 22-Mar-17 12:02:22

It didn't prove anything of the sort. The manifesto promise was about to be broken and she, very sensibly recognised that and put it right, as she should!

Cherrytree59 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:07:07

Re outfits trisher who do you think won the best dressed man?
Alex Salmond or David Cameron?
You can add Jeremy Corbyn in to the mix if you so wishsmile

trisher Wed 22-Mar-17 12:08:34

Start your own thread Cherrytree59 and don't hi-jack mine.

Lazigirl Wed 22-Mar-17 12:10:25

I think it's inevitable, but a shame in this day and age that women politicians of all political parties have to be so closely scrutinised and critiqued by the fashion police. It doesn't happen to the men in the same way, and it's a difficult enough path for female politicians anyway. I am also disappointed that the Labour Party seem unable to elect a strong female leader, as there are definitely some who could fill the post. I wonder if something in the Party culture prevents this? As for May and Sturgeon I find them both credible leaders.

Riverwalk Wed 22-Mar-17 12:17:55

Comments on both May's and Sturgeon's clothes are fair game.

NS has obviously had a serious make-over in the past couple of years, including going from brunette to blonde, and TM has just posed for Vogue!

Jane10 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:20:02

Ruth Davidson is terrific! I loved her comment about Sturgeons attitude being 'a big Tory did it and ran away!'.