Gransnet forums

News & politics

The art of persuasion

(86 Posts)
Elegran Wed 05-Apr-17 09:10:41

The political scene online as well as off it has become the an arena for gladiatorial fights to the death, a snakepit of bile and venom and death threats directed at those with different views (also on GN, though so far no death threats). Isn't it time to try a new approach?

I realise this is a revolutionary suggestion but desperate situations demand desperate measures. Couldn't everyone make an effort to listen as well as shout? To see WHY people believe what they do? To say to them "I see what you mean. You have a point there. Could that be solved by . . ." instead of being accusatory and adversarial, instead of haranguing as though faced with delinquent adolescents?

Watch this.
www.ted.com/talks/sally_kohn_let_s_try_emotional_correctness

daphnedill Fri 07-Apr-17 23:45:29

I agree about "Macbeth". Great play! I still have a photo of my son from primary school, when they studied Macbeth and acted out some of the scenes. He was one of the witches in "When shall we three meet again? In thunder,lightning or in rain?" scene.

durhamjen Sat 08-Apr-17 00:08:44

I am going to teach him Macbeth next.
He chose Hamlet after reading synopses of both, because his other grandparents live near Helsingor and he has been to the castle. And because he is Danish, of course, but not a prince, although he is to me.
I taught Macbeth when I was a teacher, but not Hamlet.

daphnedill Sat 08-Apr-17 04:51:22

I did wonder about the Danish connection.

Goody goody! You'll be able to give Ana some advice. She seems very keen to know about how to teach Hamlet. Personally, I think it's a bit grim.

Jayanna9040 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:26:54

Oooh Hamlet - Benedict Cumberbatch. Yes!!

rosesarered Sat 08-Apr-17 10:34:13

daphnedil did you actually read the OP before firing off jibes on here?
grin I think not.
More flies caught with honey than with vinegar etc.

Ana Sat 08-Apr-17 10:57:51

Thanks for the informative answers although not for the snipes from the usual suspects.

I'm sure all we got at school was an instruction to 'read it' then we'd have a bit of a discussion in class then have to write an essay or two...not very inspiring!

Welshwife Sat 08-Apr-17 11:01:22

Another way to reach Hamlet or Macbethe is to go to the Old Vic !! If you live near enoug of course. I was lucky enough to be able to go when I was doing English A level. Although what I actually went to see was Henry IV part one with Richard Burton playing Prince Hal - that dates me somewhat! My friend and I were able to go with the ALevel group above us who were doing the play. It was during the London smogs and we travelled home on the tube and then by the time we got off we could not see a hand in front of our faces! - had been clear when we left home - so we walked along the wall until we came to the place to turn off.
We could not get tickets for Macbeth which I gather was great with the troops rushing down the aisles onto the stage.
What novel are you reading with him*Jen *?

daphnedill Sat 08-Apr-17 13:30:33

Pardon? I don't understand your point rosesarered. I thought Ana was asking a genuine question about teaching Hamlet. I was being polite (and I thought helpful) by answering. Why else would she have asked the question? The way literature is now taught has moved on from the days when we read some dusty and smelly old book in class and then wrote an essay, for which we were not prepared.

Please feel free to explain your accusation, because the only sniping I see is from you.

I agree with you Ww. There's nothing like seeing a Shakespeare play being performed. I was totally switched off by Shakespeare until I went on a school trip to Stratford. We're so fortunate now to have videos for those who can't see a live stage production.

durhamjen Sat 08-Apr-17 19:13:21

Welshwife, having read all the usual Tolkein, as well as The Sylmarillion with him, I decided to go lighter. We read a Philippa Gregory, called Stormbringers, about the children's crusade last. It lead to reading about different philosophers, as well as finding out about whether the children's crusade was real.
What I hadn't realised was that it was the middle book of a trilogy, but the other two books were out of print. They have just come back in so I have ordered them for next term.

durhamjen Sat 08-Apr-17 21:01:18

Sorry, Tolkien. You'd think I'd have got that right, wouldn't you?