Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should you vote Liberal?

(239 Posts)
whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 12:37:01

Here we go then. I am going to outline all the information I can get hold of without the flim flam and criticism of other parties.

Other folks are more than welcome to join in - but I would ask you keep it as objective as possible without the temptation of trashing the opposition. We can do that on other threads. I always bite off more than I can chew so will appreciate help -cheers!!

This stuff has been kindly donated by another gran whose name escapes me at the moment but I will add it later.

The following can be described as a statement of intent - it isn't the manifesto, so it can be compared to the manifesto when it gets published

Economy/Business
We intend to achieve a growing stable economy

1. Ensure regional growth
2. Embrace new technology
3. Belief in globalisation
4. Live within our means
5. Sensible deficit reduction - but also productive investment in infrastructure, skills and training.
6.Fair corporate tax code - multi-nationals must pay their fair share
7. Help entrepreneurs and small business

Health
We believe in the National Health free at the point of use

1 Additional investment as a matter of urgency
2 we have called for a cross Party commission to look how we can deliver sustainable development for health care in the longer term
3 Belief in healthcare for all both physical and mental health
When in government we ensured additional investment plus the first ever treatment waiting standard for mental health
4. Support to introduce a regulated cannabis market.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 12:38:41

There's more to come.

MaizieD Tue 25-Apr-17 13:00:16

4. Live within our means

This is the one that bothers me, ww. It seems to indicate a willingness to perpetuate 'austerity' and a 'running the national economy is like running a household budget' mentality which has been frequently debunked by economists.

Ilovecheese Tue 25-Apr-17 13:32:06

Health. We believe in the National Health FREE AT THE POINT OF USE. This is the one that worries me, it seems to imply more and more outsourcing to private providers, who will be paid by the taxpayer, thus we will be paying for their profits, but somehow that is o.k. because it is still "free at the point of use"
The Liberal Democrats did support Andrew Lansley's Health and Social Care Act which was a preparation for more privatisation.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:35:55

moxeyns donated all this

Education

1All children should be able to achieve what they set out to achieve
2 Strongly oppose Grammers
3 Education system should be properly funded and protected in real terms.
4. Introduced the pupil premium for children from disadvantaged backgrounds
5. There is too much emphasis on passing exams, there should be a more rounded education
6. Introduced a record number of apprenticeships. There should be a greater investment in adult skills and training
7. Work to reduce the workload currently being experience by staff and increase recruitment

Environment

Recognise climate change

1Invest in renewables. Invest in green energy thus creating jobs and growth
2 End cuts to solar and wind power
3 Net emissions to be reduced to zero by 2050
4 improve countryside and green spaces
5. Introduced the 5p charge on plastic bags
6. Recognise the poor air quality resulting in 40000 extra deaths a year, invest in green transport and phase out diesel
7. Food policy and security - recognise that this has been neglected and so will encourage investment, innovation and new entrants in order to secure our food future
8. Introduce higher standards of animal welfare.
9. Introduceca puppy breeding licence.
10 Minimise animal scientific experiments.

M0nica Tue 25-Apr-17 15:11:42

Don't forget they are the only party who have always supported Britain remaining in Europe.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 15:12:55

Just coming to that monica only my sister has just paid a visitgrin

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 15:32:28

Europe

Believe UKs best chance to succeed is within Europe

1. Respect the outcome of the referendum
2. Believe that the UK is more prosperous when we work in partnership with our closest allies and neighbours.
3. Free trade is a good thing
4. Fight tonremain part of the single market
5. The vote of the referendum voted for departure, not destination, sonwe need a final vote on the deal that has been negotiated.
6.Brexit will have a huge impact.

Justice and Liberty

1. Fight for continued liberties and freedom of speech
2. Make a positive case for continues immigration
3. Urge the government to do more for refugees
4. HRA - fight to stop it being watered down post Brexit
5. Stand up for EU citizens rights
6. Fight against the proposed mass surveyance that will cost billions
7. Fight against the proposal to collect and store our web histories
8. Scrap the prevent programme and introduceca community lead scheme
9. Introduceca presumption against short sentences that do not work
10. Stand up for our justice system agAinst media/political attack

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 16:05:39

Tax and Benefits

No tax for those earning less than the minimum wage
Clamp down on tax dodging
Unearned wealth taxed more aggresively than earned income
Reverse cuts to universal credit
Give extra £5 a week to families with children
Abolish Work Capabilty Assessment - replace with a more humane system
Decent state pension and tax system that encourages low/middle earners to save for old age

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:41:31

Well, some of it does sound very laudable but in fact quite waffly and 'head in the clouds' with any realistic hope or ideas of how to achieve any of it.

It does also sound as if they have no hope of ever forming a government (probably right) or that they would ever form another coalition with a minority government.

Support to introduce a regulated cannabis market.
Sorry, no, unless it is for medicinal purposes only.

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 17:54:47

Legalising medicinal cannabis would be a start.

Although I lived through the sixties, I never smoked pot, but I have a good friend who has done for many years because he is in constant pain since an accident which left him paralysed from the waist down. He should not have to get what he sorely needs to alleviate his pain from dodgy sources.

ninny Tue 25-Apr-17 17:57:07

You can promise the earth if you haven't the chance of ever having to deliver it.

nigglynellie Tue 25-Apr-17 19:41:13

Remember university fees? The liberals certainly caught a cold with that promise!!!!

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 20:01:34

Tory policy niggly, not Libs.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 20:14:32

www.24housing.co.uk/news/lib-dems-to-bring-housing-benefit-back-for-18-20-year-olds/

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 20:16:51

The LibDems still failed to fulfil their promise to those who voted for them.

And their idea of providing free school meals to primary school children in years 1 and 2 cost county councils a ridiculous amount of money. No wonder council tax went up.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 20:19:18

Council tax went up because of the cuts

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 20:20:01

Council tax went up because of Tory Government cuts.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 20:20:43

Snap!!!!

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 20:25:52

Oh, so not because some schools had to actually install new kitchens to provide these free school fees? And employ more staff?

Where did that money come from if not from council tax? Did the LibDems kindly donate money to all schools to pay for their gesture of largesse?

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 20:26:28

Not fees, meals!

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 20:44:47

It came from the government. It was a government scheme for two years.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/184047/DFE-RR227.pdf

158 pages for you to read to find out how effective it was.
It would cost County Durham about £4 million a year.

varian Fri 28-Apr-17 12:05:30

Yes, you should vote Liberal Democrat says ex-Tory Rachel Johnson, one of the many new party members.

www.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr/27/rachel-johnson-joins-lib-dems-and-may-stand-in-general-election-member-tory-brexit

She may want to stand as a LibDem candidate but I don't think she will be accepted as party rules require candidates to have been members for at least a year. She would certainly be an improvement on either of her Tory MP brothers.

durhamjen Fri 28-Apr-17 12:13:08

Apparently her dad and the other brother are liberals, too.
Family gatherings must be good at the moment. Or maybe there aren't any until the election is over.

varian Fri 28-Apr-17 12:21:29

Her Dad, Stanley was a Tory MEP and is very strongly pro-EU.