Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should I vote Conservative

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:07:35

Anyone got any information we can put onto this thread please?

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 14:06:44

This is from the Conservative Web Site

Economy

Plan for a GlobalnBritain that is outward looking
1 Forge new equal partnership with the EU
2Trade beyond Europe
3Plan for a atronger economy where everyone plays by the same rules.
4. Ensure the consumer markets work as they should, and crack down on those who abuse the system
5. Deliver a modern industrial strategy that spreads jobs and prospects across the country
6. Continue to bring the deficit down
7. Plan for a fairer society whose success is based in merit and not privilege
7.Good school place for every child
8. Deliver more affordable homes
9. Record investment in the NHS
10 A welfare system that works well
11. Tackle racial and gender discrimination.
12. Plan for a United nation that we are proud to call home.b
13. Strengthen the union
14. Act to benefit for all of us in cities, towns, villages and communities.

MawBroon Tue 25-Apr-17 14:12:45

Have manifestos been published then?

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 14:15:47

No maw these are statements of intent -it will be interesting to compare and contrast and also to see if manifestos reflect these statements

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 14:34:20

Is it your intention, whitewave that we should only contribute to this thread if we want to endorse the Conservatives or are we allowed to criticise anything?

(This comment also applies to the LibDem and Labour threads)

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 15:11:52

I don't mind really varian I just thought that it would be a good wheeze to have somewhere to go to read up about the various parties policies. I know that some people are getting agitated about it but they need to chill a bit. It is simply and purely as far as possible a thread of information, which is as unbiased and clear as I can make it.

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 15:26:53

Thanks whitewave I think it's a good idea.

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 15:28:45

'A good wheeze...' hmm

This election isn't a flaming joke, whitewave.

tanith Tue 25-Apr-17 15:28:48

Are we meant to 'believe' any of these various policies then? Been there done that.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 15:44:36

Up to you tanith

paddyann Tue 25-Apr-17 15:55:56

I have issues with most of that but mainly number 6 .....this is the party who has borrowed more in the past 7 years than ALL labour governments EVER .Who have more than DOUBLED the debt from 800 Billion to 1.8 TRILLION .Anyone who thinks the CON servatives are doing a good job needs their head tested

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:43:12

They can all say what they want though - achieving much of it when in government is the difficult part.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 16:44:50

Notice nothing mentioned about Grammers, have to wait and see manifesto.

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 16:45:27

It's the same for all the parties - have you seen the extremely long list of Lib/Dem pipe-dreams?

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:08:36

I was exhausted reading it Ana

Now I need a brew

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:09:19

ps they have been on the phone already asking if we've received our postal ballot.

Not yet.

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 17:20:52

No 10, a welfare system that works well - that'll be a nice change.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 17:30:55

grin

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 17:31:38

Record investment in the NHS grin

NanaandGrampy Tue 25-Apr-17 17:36:48

Politicians will tell you anything to get your vote - they all lie.

Look at the mayor of London and all his promises about not increasing fares across London....

politics.co.uk/news/2016/06/08/sadiq-khan-breaks-promise-londoners-won-t-pay-more-fares

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 17:46:57

I've read this list and here are my initial thoughts - (why are there two number sevens on the list? I hope you're not telling us the Tories can't count)

1 Forge new equal partnership with the EU - We have already got an equal partnership which you want to break up

2 Trade beyond Europe - We already trade beyond Europe, some of that is because we are in the EU

3 Plan for a stronger economy where everyone plays by the same rules. - Including tax-exile newspaper proprietors and foreign billionaires, banks and big businesses?

4. Ensure the consumer markets work as they should, and crack down on those who abuse the system - ?? er “Sir” Philip Green?

5. Deliver a modern industrial strategy that spreads jobs and prospects across the country - We will certainly need to do that to replace all the jobs lost by Brexit

6. Continue to bring the deficit down - Show us some figures please

7. Plan for a fairer society whose success is based in merit and not privilege – Are we going to have the privilege of inheriting £1,000,000 without paying inheritance tax ?

7. Good school place for every child - When your local comprehensive is damaged by creaming off clever children to grammars what happens to the ones who are left ?

8. Deliver more affordable homes - Affordable only for those earning £60,000 pa or more?

9. Record investment in the NHS - The NHS needs far, far more investment to cope with the demands of modern medicine and an ageing population.

10 A welfare system that works well - So no demonising those in need anymore? No foodbanks?

11. Tackle racial and gender discrimination. - Good idea, why has it not already been done?

12. Plan for a United nation that we are proud to call home. - The nation has never been as divided as it is now, thanks to the threat of Brexit

13. Strengthen the union - There is a real risk of Northern Ireland and Scotland separating from what remains of the Union

14. Act to benefit for all of us in cities, towns, villages and communities. – Stop cutting funding to local authorities.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 18:00:42

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/25/theresa-may-ed-miliband-energy-price-cap

Red May doesn't have the same ring as Red Ed, but she is pinching his policies.
Of course, she will not go through with it.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 18:02:21

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/25/kim-jong-may-received-with-rapture-and-adulation-in-bridgend

John Crace excellent as usual.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 18:03:51

Give me a mandate to deliver for Britain is quite meaningless.
To deliver what for Britain?

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 19:17:15

This is why you shouldn't vote Tory.

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/theresa-mays-secret-plans-to-replace-nhs-england-with-private-us-healthcare-system-kaiser-permanente/

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion