Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should I vote Conservative

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:07:35

Anyone got any information we can put onto this thread please?

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 20:10:22

Another reason not to vote Tory.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/further-rise-in-foodbank-use-linked-to-universal-credit-delays/

Universal credit roll-out means more use of foodbanks as people can't afford to feed themselves and their families as they have no money.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 20:18:33

What I can't understand with these poor souls is if they can't afford food how on earth can they afford the fuel to cook it?

I was watching Channel 4 news about food banks. If you put everyone in Victorian clothes you would be hard put to distinguish the difference.

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 20:38:52

Some of them can't afford fuel and they have to get food that doesn't need cooking.
Others can maybe afford one or the other - heat or eat.

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 20:47:01

From the foodbank link, above : "The (Trussell) trust says the standard six-week-plus waiting time for a first benefit payment faced by new UC (Universal Credit) claimants was behind the rise in demand for charity food."

Six weeks! How are people who need benefits supposed to manage without any money for six weeks or more? This is a deliberately cruel policy from the Conservative government.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 20:49:07

They ask for rice, so I quite often put in a few packets of Seeds of Change ready-cooked rice. You can heat it if you want, but don't need to. It's also good for single people or a mother and child.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 20:50:13

FarNorth, they are supposed to be able to get loans from the councils. Ha!

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 20:52:17

You see?

These threads are absolutely pointless - all the left wingers are posting on this one to criticise the Tories and also on the Labour and Liberals {for some reason not Lib Dems) to praise them and their policies.

When the manifestos are out it'll be exactly the same...

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 20:55:23

The title is Should I vote Conservative?
Surely that invites all views.

Have you any points to put in favour of voting Conservative, Ana?

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 20:57:21

Sorry, Ana. Should I vote Conservative invites either yes or no.

I say no, because...
You are quite entitled to say yes, because....

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:16:43

"In 6 weeks’ time there will be a general election. Your donation is vital. It is vital to bolster an election campaign that aims to strengthen Theresa May’s and the UK’s negotiating position on Brexit.

Your donation will help defeat Jeremy Corbyn, and our Lib Dem and SNP opponents, who together are planning to disrupt our Brexit negotiations, raise taxes, increase borrowing and waste.

Will you be one of our General Election 2017 Fighting Fund supporters, and will you help us get on with the job of making life in the United Kingdom even better, Susan?

Donate today:

£20 gets us 100 campaign posters

£35 delivers 500 leaflets to target voters

£50 helps us call 1000 target voters

£100 delivers 3000 letters to target voters

£500 delivers 3000 freepost surveys to target voters

We are finalising our election plans now, Susan. Will you donate to our campaign and become a Fighting Fund supporter today?

Thanks for your support,

Conservative Campaign Headquarters"

This was sent to someone who has had her housing benefit stopped and cannot get a discretionary housing loan from her council as they have no money for them.

Another reason not to vote for callous Tories.

Beammeupscottie Tue 25-Apr-17 21:35:01

The reason for voting Tory is that you know what you will get. A vote for labour is a vote for a useless leader and the path to Communism. This will frighten much of Middle-England. They are also reading the mood of the people who want Brexit and those worried about losing jobs to immigrants. Sorry, DJ, but their research will tell them that food banks etc., are not of great concern to the majority of voters.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:39:56

Their research is a bit suspect. That email sent to Susan was to someone who would never vote for them anyway, yet they were asking her to spend half her benefit to help them?

Beammeupscottie Tue 25-Apr-17 21:44:53

I have ALL party leaflets pushed through my door. So what?

I never read any of them and they are binned with the free pizza vouchers and offers to walk the dog I do not have.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 22:08:57

It was an email. In order to be sent an email from a political party you have to have agreed for them to use your address under privacy rules.
That's why Coyle is likely to be prosecuted for using information he gained illegally.
It's different to having leaflets put through your door. You must see that.

I have leaflets, which I am keeping and using to teach my grandson about local elections. Very educational. When he is old enough he will know how to vote.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 22:09:42

www.change.org/p/uk-supermarkets-add-a-donate-to-foodbank-option-for-online-supermarket-shopping?source_location=minibar

For anyone who does care about foodbanks.

Beammeupscottie Tue 25-Apr-17 22:21:55

It costs money to have a computer or mobile phone. If I needed a food bank this would be the first thing to go. I stood behind a woman in Tescos once; she was moaning about not having money to buy food but at the till bought a packet of cigarettes.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 22:27:04

You don't know much about the DWP system, do you, beam?
You have to have a way of getting online in order to apply for anything. You have to prove that you have applied for jobs, filled in the forms correctly, etc.
And don't say what's wrong with libraries. Many of them have closed, along with jobcentres.

"I stood behind a woman in Tesco's once...."
Wow, careful.Poverty might be catching.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 22:29:05

"The FT also has a nice scoop that the Home Office is so worried about a new deluge of permanent residence applications that it is discouraging EU nationals in the UK from doing so. Its website now says: “Under EU law you don’t need a document to confirm your residence status in the UK. If you’re planning to apply for a document just to confirm your status, you can sign up for email alerts instead.” Email alerts?"

What do you think they need to be alerted to?

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:10:15

Seems like the choice is to either vote conservative or chaos, & I don't think we need any more chaos , there will be enough of that negotiating brexit !

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 23:14:02

The Conservatives have caused the chaos.
There wouldn't be an election if Cameron hadn't called for a referendum.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 23:18:10

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08nf44j

Victoria Derbyshire this morning. 1.25 minutes in is about foodbanks.

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:21:07

But we don't want to make it even worse two wrongs don't make a right

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 23:31:04

That must be the worst reason ever for voting Conservative!

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 23:36:40

"The last time I felt sentiment like this that was so obviously disconnected from reality was in 1999 when market values of dot.com companies were wildly inconsistent with any then known possibility of real worth arising. A crash did, of course, follow.

That same disconnect exists now.

The NHS is in crisis and it is this government’s fault.

The same can be said of education, social care, the justice system, the police, energy, social housing and so much more.

And the Conservatives have completely failed to deliver their economic promise, even if it was wrong headed.

Despite all this they appear dominant in all polling. There is, quite clearly, a collective leave of sense sweeping the UK right now."

Richard Murphy on Taxresearch. Reasons not to vote Tory.

daphnedill Tue 25-Apr-17 23:38:09

I despair!

There's a reason May is known as Mrs Mayhem!

I hope Conservatives realise that Lynton Crosby is in charge - not May.

moon

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion