Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should I vote Conservative

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:07:35

Anyone got any information we can put onto this thread please?

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 12:03:05

I am not trying to deflect anything Durhamjen. Nor am I trying to dictating who people should or should not vote for!

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 12:15:44

And to get back to the point which was a comment made by poster about Corbyn being a ditherer. I would say he is because he has principles which many people(voters admire) but they will be a hinderance to him if he were to be prime minister , reality sometime make principles a difficult bed mate.

Cunco Sat 20-May-17 12:15:58

When I suggested Corbyn dithered, it was because he dithered before he confirmed that he voted Remain in 2016 during the head-to-head Labourship debate.

As I recall, he hesitated and was asked several times before he answered. It is a common use of the word 'to dither' where I come from.

I pointed out this example of Corbyn dithering because Teresa May had previously been accused of dithering. I felt that I should point out if May dithered, she was not alone among party leaders. I felt it only fair.

If I did wrong, I clearly deserve a smack.

Now, back to the real world.

trisher Sat 20-May-17 12:25:25

Having principles and sticking to them is the opposite of "dithering" norose54 . "Dithering" is what Mrs May did over immigration, National Insurance increases, taking in child refugees, Hinckley Point and many other things when she changed her mind (had her mind changed for her).

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 12:30:07

Norose, the title of this thread is "Should I vote Conservative?"
Nobody is trying to dictate, just answering the question.

Sorry, Cunco, what's a Labourship debate?

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 12:32:57

Corbyn is stuck between a rock & a hard place i.e. Principles & Reality .not a good combination if you are in power in today's climate with extremely difficult world wide problems plus brexit deals .

whitewave Sat 20-May-17 12:35:18

It is amazing how people make unsubstantiated claims about Labours spending plans, when they are fully costed by an independent body and considered moderate.

It would make much more sense to make such unsubstantiated claims about Tory spending as everyone is clueless about what their spending plans are going to cost,

trisher Sat 20-May-17 12:41:33

If we have no principles norose4 we may as well go the whole hog and sell arms to anyone, cut benefits to the poorest, destroy the NHS and allow the richest to rake in cash Oh sorry that's what the Tories actually do isn't it? not to be confused with what they SAY they will do!

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 12:44:44

I think for this particular election , we all need to think long and hard about which party we think will get the best Brexit deal for ALL of us, that may mean some of us vote for a different party than we would normally vote for,. We have to have a starting point in believing that all politicians want what they think is best for all of us and then decide who you pratically speaking believe that to be, this is a crucial election which will impact on all of us for years to come .

whitewave Sat 20-May-17 12:46:17

Rather like Trump, apparently he is gleefully selling billions worth of arms to Saudi Arabia and no human rights questions asked. What a world we live in.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 12:50:59

If only we had a perfect world Trisher, I despair of all of it at times, there can never be equality a very sad fact, my heart bleeds for people all over the world the un fairness of people's lot in life etc. & what do I / can I do except put a donation here & there ,hoping it will make a difference but knowing that nothing much will change, the very least we can do is try to see the good in others & their attempts to do right by everybody. Sadly reality & good intentions are still worlds apart,

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 12:55:44

Whatever else you read, norose, it really isn't all about Brexit.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 12:59:16

Why can there never be equality?
Why can we not say that the person at the top of a company cannot earn more than 20 times the person who earns least?
Why can we not say there is enough food for everyone in the world, providing those with the biggest wallets don't take it away from those who produce it?

Some of us can see a better world and do not accept that inequality you talk of.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 13:00:10

That's why we would never vote Conservative, and neither should you.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 20-May-17 13:12:53

I actually think that most politicians want what they think is best nonose and I don't worry as much as you appear to about Brexit. Much of the negotiation will be done by the all too few people who are capable of such thing and they are not the well known politicians but people whose names we are unlikely ever to know. So small are they in number - because the EU has been doing it for us - that they will probable end up using the same people with direction and agreement coming from the politicians.

So I find it much more important that we have a party that is nearer to what I believe in domestic politics.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 13:19:49

Oh durhamjen your childish posts and view of the world!

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 13:23:23

Yes, this time Brexit is very much to do with the GE.
A lot of people who will be voting will be thinking of which party is likely to deliver on the best outcome of leaving the EU.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 13:25:48

No I'm not really worried about Brexit as such Graces, I was borderline remain , & unfortunately it's more or less the same predicament, between those you may like to vote for to do the job & those you believe have more chance of doing the job

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 13:26:56

Proof of that, roses?
I bet you don't have any. It's just your rosetinted glasses again.
You dismiss anybody who disagrees with you without any evidence whatsoever.

trisher Sat 20-May-17 13:29:05

rar perhaps you should take your own comment on board
we are not in school now, so perhaps curb the teacher in you which is forever correcting posters.
It isn't "childish" to believe there is a better way to run a society. Thank goodness the suffragettes, the chartists, the Quakers, the Labour Party and all those who have campaigned for our freedom and equality didn't think as you do or we would be still sending children into factories and down mines.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 13:32:07

I cannot ask each and every voter if Brexit looms large for them, but just think, how very important it is to get a good outcome.All the largesse that Labour are offering would be directly affected if the economy plummets.
I fail to see how rose tinted glasses is in any way relevant btw but Brexit is the biggest thing to happen politically for a long time, and getting it as right as possible is crucial.
Anything else is tinkering with deck chairs.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 13:34:29

If posters write things like 'why can there never be equality?' trisher what do they expect!

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 13:34:29

Do you actually read or understand anything I've written Durhamjen. It's supposed to be an opinions page doh !!off to do something pleasant now!!

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 13:35:09

We don't have to leave, roses, if the terms aren't right.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 13:37:24

I do read everything. I admit to not understanding some of your ramblings, norose.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion