Gransnet forums

News & politics

Diane Abbott

(213 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 03-May-17 09:51:52

Did anybody feel sorry for her yesterday? Or embarrassed? Or, like me, annoyed that she was so ill prepared and frankly incompetent.
She "misspoke" apparently. hmm
She only had one job to do.
And before anybody says the poor dear had to give eleventy billion seven interviews -she is a professional politician it's what she does.
What compounded it was her tone of voice -like a primary teacher talking to a very stupid child, trying not to lose her patience but clearly just about to. Especially as she was talking such nonsense.
With talent such as Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Michael Dughan and others (even Ed Balls!) to call on why does the Labour campaign wheel on choose someone like Diane Abbott to score an own goal?

Jalima1108 Sat 06-May-17 16:21:28

Robert Peston?

Jalima1108 Sat 06-May-17 16:24:21

I think he drawls because he had a stammer which he has overcome. As did Ed Balls I believe.

I know how awful migraines can be but usually a sufferer will have a warning and can take appropriate medication - especially if an extremely important vote was on the agenda.
After all, other MPs managed to get there despite their incapacity.

Ana Sat 06-May-17 16:25:14

As far as I know Theresa May has never used her diabetic status to excuse herself from any political duties - so until that happens it's irrelevant.

norose4 Sat 06-May-17 16:25:27

Yes I think that's him, I am ashamed to say I cant take in what he is actually saying , because I am trying to breathe & speak for him!

trisher Sat 06-May-17 16:27:13

Have you actually watched the interview? She is asked if she knows the net losses, she answers she THINKS they are about 50 at the time of the interview. She obviously expected there to be other gains. Just because the interviewer already knew the answer to the question isn't a reason to doubt what she THINKS. She then says he last time she looked it was about 100. So it isn't true that she didn't KNOW she never said she KNEW.
If a manager is asked what the net profits or losses will be in any business without seeing the final figures most tend to err on the optimistic side.
The trouble with a lot of people is they believe the hype they are fed and don't listen for themselves.

norose4 Sat 06-May-17 16:34:32

I felt a bit sorry for her, but then my favourite song at the moment is ' Don't put the blame on me ' by rag & bone man

Jalima1108 Sat 06-May-17 16:37:37

Surely, though, the answer should have been she thinks they are about 100 if 100 was the number the last time she looked?

confused

The trouble with a lot of people is they believe the hype they are fed and don't listen for themselves
Do you mean Diane Abbott when you say that trisher?

rosesarered Sat 06-May-17 16:39:11

Yes norose and also Human ( rag & bone man) haha!

norose4 Sat 06-May-17 16:40:20

??

trisher Sat 06-May-17 16:41:16

If she'd said 100 and there had been some gains how quick would the media have been to say "DA expects Labour losses"?

Fitzy54 Sat 06-May-17 17:00:48

Trisher she messed up! Why didn't she say that the last time she looked it was 100? Why set yourself up for a fall? I have to say even without gaffes, the last few times I've seen her speak (only over the past 3 weeks or so) she seemed to be struggling a bit.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-May-17 17:00:51

[sigh]
All she had to say was that the last time she heard before she came on air .....
not pluck a number out of nowhere.

Some people have dyscalculia
It doesn't mean they are not clever in other areas.