Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are the UK electorate out of touch with reality?

(136 Posts)
James2451 Mon 15-May-17 21:31:55

I have only been on Gransnet a few weeks, but I have been most impressed with the articulate level of debates, one or two have been rather catty ( may I use that expression ?) but the majority of comments are very enlightening in their expression of views about the debates going on around this election and the reasons for calling same.

Our newspapers are so biased it is almost impossible to obtain a factual unbiased report. The political parties propaganda is appalling, yet influences millions of electorates.

I am now getting the feeling that the electorate are out of touch with reality and almost brainwashed. One simple question please, is this election a vote of support for Brexit or remain,or what it should be, that is a decision on political caring and needed policies we desire to be implemented by Parliament over the next five years?

I await your wise and honest unbiased views.

James2451 Fri 19-May-17 21:18:28

Well said Daisychain 21,
I am now getting the feeling that the electorate is being brainwashed. One simple question please, is this election a vote of support for Brexit or remain,or what it should be, that is a decision on political caring and needed policies we desire to be implemented by Parliament over the next five years?

The last 48 hours have convinced me that the election being about Brexit is a kidology to bring May's extremism in through the back door. I hate the decision to stop free meals, allow barbaric Fox Hunting, Renage on Leveson and allow Murdoch etc to continue malpractices and go unpunished. Very unhappy about rejecting Dilnot recommendations on Care in favour of hidden property tax for Care. Sorry but I am not voting for May it it now Lib Dems or Greens. Even Labour.

whitewave Fri 19-May-17 21:24:12

You are right james

If May gets a landslide as she is hoping, she will feel free to go for everything youve listed as well as Grammers (a ridiculous vanity project) but also a hard Brexit which will be disastrous.

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 21:29:22

Mainly it's about who would be best in the driving seat with Brexit on the horizon
IMHO James
Corbyn has thrown all he has got at the electorate with tons of people pleasing policies, free this, that and the other ( live now pay later.)
The Tories haven't done that, which is a risk for them, but have decided to be realistic as there could be hard times ahead at least for the short term.
If the people don't choose Corbyn and all his freebies, that means people see through these policies and don't trust him with the economy.

Lynnieg Fri 19-May-17 21:30:16

I'm doubtful that you were ever going to vote for May actually James. I think you're being a bit disingenuous there.
(In my opinion of course)

Ana Fri 19-May-17 21:32:37

I don't agree. I don't believe May's policies are extremist and why complain about a few Grammar Schools?

She hasn't said she'll bring back fox hunting, just that there might be another vote on it.

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 21:34:48

Also James free school dinners will still be available to those on benefits or very low incomes ( ie. those who need it) and there will be free breakfasts at school for all who want them.
'Barbaric fox hunting' won't just be allowed, Parliament would be free to vote on it and I doubt they would vote to bring it back.

Ana Fri 19-May-17 21:35:17

And you're right about the LP manifesto roses - Lord Bountiful offering everything to everyone but knowing he'll never be called upon to deliver.

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 21:35:23

X posts!

Lynnieg Fri 19-May-17 21:35:33

And the majority will vote against repealing the act and it will be off the table, probably for good. Like the death penalty

James2451 Sat 20-May-17 12:15:30

Lynnieg, I wish I had your faith in having a House of Commons swamped with many Tory MP's with extreme RW views. I would also feel concerned about a House filled with extreme LW Labour MP's.
Incidently, No matter what you presume about my voting intentions, I have never voted on Tribal party grounds like the majority.
I do consider party manifesto's and the views of the candidates standing in my constituency, they are all seriously taken into account. Which is why since mid 50's I have voted on different occasions Tory, Labour and Lib Dem.