Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ian Brady

(136 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Tue 16-May-17 08:26:27

At last we don't have to pay to keep him in prison. My heart goes out to the families of his victims, particularly the child whose grave was never found.

mrsmopp Wed 17-May-17 16:54:04

Including Lord Longford, Annie?

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 16:57:47

Was Hindly's sentence a miscarriage of justice Mrsmopp?

mrsmopp Wed 17-May-17 17:17:09

No.

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 17:35:42

Then I don't understand your question Mrsmopp

Luckylegs9 Thu 18-May-17 07:39:15

To get a guilty person off sentencing, is a gross miscarriage of justice. Don't know how lawyers that do that sleep at night. I would be ashamed.

mumofmadboys Thu 18-May-17 07:42:35

Luckylegs where has anyone said you are not Christian??

Rigby46 Thu 18-May-17 07:50:35

People do not 'get off' on 'minor technical errors of procedure'. A case may be dismissed because procedural rules necessary for the fair administration of justice are not followed. These rules are the bedrock of the rule of law and those charged with the administration of justice bear the responsibility for its proper administration. Or would some of you like a return to the lynch mob?

Christinefrance Thu 18-May-17 08:07:10

I can't comment on Brady's mental health as I don't know enough or have the knowledge to decide. The fact remains that he indisputably murdered those children. You could argue that anyone committing such crimes must have a mental illness. However I think that once again the focus is on the perpetrator and not the victims. The public need to be protected from people like Brady, Sutcliffe etc and once their crimes are proven they should be confined for life no chance of parole. Capital punishment is not an option.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-May-17 11:34:11

Or would some of you like a return to the lynch mob?
Certainly not, but I do like to know that justice is done.
When the evidence is overwhelming is it right or wrong that a case should be dismissed because one 'i' may not have been dotted in the myriad of evidence to be presented to the court?

I agree Christinefrance

angelab Thu 18-May-17 12:34:04

jalima I don't understand your comment (am I getting a bit lost here?) Ian Brady and Myra Hindley were both found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment; capital punishment had been abolished, so what else should have happened?