Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yet more Conservative manifesto rubbish

(273 Posts)
Rigby46 Fri 19-May-17 23:56:36

Yes I know it's hard to imagine that there's even more but why on earth are they going to change the voting system for electing mayors and police and crime commissioners? Oh wait a minute, is it because, surely not, that it would advantage them?

paddyann Sat 20-May-17 00:09:56

the UK is heading towards a dictatorship ,it started when Cameron changed the election rules making it a fixed term 5 year interval between ...where it will end god only knows but its not looking good for the majority of us ...of course the uber rich whose wealth has swelled while most struggled over the past years of Tory and coalition government will tell you that the tories are doing a fantastic job!Even while the debt doubled and services were cut to the bone they will tell you that our finances are safer in Mrs Mays hands .....lol.They obviously think we're all brain dead

Rigby46 Sat 20-May-17 00:15:19

Well they're abolishing the fixed term parliament act as well now. But what really worries me paddy is not the uber rich saying the Tories are doing a fantastic job but the deluded stooges souls who are far from rich agreeing with that preposterous proposition.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 00:24:12

There must be a load of deluded souls out there then.
Saying that anybody of another political persuasion is deluded or are stooges is just plain daft. All it means is that they think differently to you.

MaizieD Sat 20-May-17 01:05:00

Differently 'from'

Ella123 Sat 20-May-17 07:55:35

Hi first post but have been reading a lot of posts.I am Scottish and was against independance but I dislike TM so much she is changing my mind for me

Anya Sat 20-May-17 08:09:04

I don't think that those who are of a different political persuasion to myself are deluded, especially given the current political choices we have. I've stated my reasons on here why I cannot bring myself to vote for Theresa May (or ought I say the Conservatives?!) but equally I'm not happy about the people pulling the strings of the Labour Leader.

However I'm having to decide between the two philosophies and vote for the one nearer my political ideals. I'm voting against education cuts and the disintegration of the NHS (and to a certain extent against May whom I totally distrust). But i know it will make no difference to the outcome of this election.

whitewave Sat 20-May-17 08:12:22

anya the difference it may make is that it will reduce her majority.

Christinefrance Sat 20-May-17 08:39:40

MaizieD pedants are on another thread.
I agree Anya its deciding which is closest to your way of thinking.

Anya Sat 20-May-17 08:57:23

Sadly WW not in our constituency. In the CC elections our Labour candidate scraped in by 4 votes. He's well known locally as a man who gets things done and he was the only one I could find to kick ass and get a swastika removed from a local pavement after months of badgering the council.

However there's a lot of new build around here and thousands of newcomers who are out of touch with local politics. We also gave a large, affluent Asian population of business men and women who are very conservative.

yggdrasil Sat 20-May-17 09:03:56

I just posted this link on another thread

www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn&sk=h_chr

It is relevant to this one, and unbelievable!

Morgana Sat 20-May-17 09:37:04

D.S. says he is surprised at how many women are right wing especially older ones. Do we agree? And if so why are women Conservative?

sunseeker Sat 20-May-17 09:41:45

Judging by the posts on GN I would say that is not true

Elegran Sat 20-May-17 09:59:06

The most vocal always appear to be the most numerous. Some posters do a great deal more posting than others.

A lot of those posts are spent issuing challenges to those who don't agree with them to step into the ring and get their teeth knocked out.

MaizieD Sat 20-May-17 10:15:36

A lot of those posts are spent issuing challenges to those who don't agree with them to step into the ring and get their teeth knocked out.

That's a bit like acknowledging that posters 'who don't agree with them' don't actually have enough evidence to deliver a knockout blow themselves'

Anniebach Sat 20-May-17 10:30:56

Perhaps some are pacifists and don't give knock out blows

Jane10 Sat 20-May-17 10:45:46

The Scottish independence referendum clearly demonstrated that the majority of people kept quiet and voted against it rather than get involved in the unpleasant noisy public arguments. I reckon that happens on GN. We all know the usual suspects!

Elegran Sat 20-May-17 10:50:10

Oh, some pacifists can be most bellicose, anniebach!

Elegran Sat 20-May-17 10:52:52

Some who don't agree with the most vocal posters let them get on with it - each person only has one vote when they are alone in the ballot booth.

Elegran Sat 20-May-17 10:55:33

They may also agree with some things and not others, or agree with general principles but not with prejudices and sledgehammer tactics.

Ana Sat 20-May-17 10:58:57

The results of the GN voting surveys are always very revealing.

Anniebach Sat 20-May-17 11:04:23

Suppose so Elegran, Corbyn for example

Tizliz Sat 20-May-17 11:07:05

I think there are a lot of people like me who feel unable to make their point because they lack confidence or the ability to find the right words. So we keep quiet. I don't want to get into a verbal joust as I can never find the right words to explain myself. But I do like reading other's point of view as it helps to know what others think.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 11:08:22

Exactly Elegran ( agree with some things and not others etc)
Some want a knock out blow and others like to win on points! grin
The quiet majority always carry the day on voting day though.

kittylester Sat 20-May-17 11:49:19

Me exactly Tizliz. I occasionally say something but am generally ignored or challenged in quite a nasty way so I shut up.