Gransnet forums

News & politics

Manchester Arena Incident

(139 Posts)
WilmaKnickersfit Tue 23-May-17 01:06:01

Is anyone else watching or listening to the news? This sounds bad.

J52 Wed 24-May-17 09:32:52

farview my thoughts are with you. So sad.

GrannyA11i Wed 24-May-17 15:28:07

My DH and I were there the night before to see Brian Cox and it occurred to me it would be an awful place to be in an incident. My handbag was given a brief glance inside but DH wasn't asked to remove his jacket where a suicide bomber could wear explosives. We walked passed the box office around 10.30pm on way to car park then 24 hours later saw the news. I feel awful that I am grateful it wasn't on our night. Also I know we shouldn't let terrorists curb our activities but I wouldn't want to go to an event anywhere like that now as I am one of those anxious people who worries where the heavy lights are hanging when seated at events.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 24-May-17 15:49:09

Unfortunately the young girl from York whose parents went to meet her, has lost both. That is her and her sibling suddenly orphaned. I have no idea how anyone would cope with that.

Maggiemaybe Wed 24-May-17 21:33:45

My daughter is in the emergency services. Because of our increased security level, she and all of her colleagues are now officially working 12 hour shifts, meaning she'll be doing even more unpaid overtime than she already does (unpaid because of her rank). Her reaction? "It's the least I can do, Mum". I am so very proud of her and all those like her, who run towards the danger we run away from.

Grandma2213 Thu 25-May-17 00:30:57

GrannyA11i I too was there to see Brian Cox the night before with all my sons and their partners. I also considered the difficulties of evacuation. There were so many stairs and relatively narrow exits as we all left and poured out onto the streets. I am trying not to think that my whole immediate family could have been wiped out.

Like so many of the young girls on Monday our tickets were Christmas presents. My heart breaks for those who have suffered from this atrocity and I have wept so much this week.

I would like to quote in full one of the most inspirational things I heard on Sunday which I wish these terrorists could stop and carefully consider:

"The first day or so we all pointed to our countries. The third or fourth day we were pointing to our continents. By the fifth day we were aware of only one Earth."

-Sultan Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, Space Shuttle STS-51-6

As Frank Borman (Gemini 7, Apollo 8) said, "why the hell can't we learn to live together like decent people."

Elrel Thu 25-May-17 01:23:45

A junior doctor posted on Facebook that the best action the general public can take is to do a basic first aid course. Although it's unlikely you'll find yourself at a major incident you'll have your skills to draw upon in the more frequent scenario of someone having a heart attack or being hurt by broken glass.
Basic first aid training should imho be mandatory in all schools as I believe it is in several European countries.

AlieOxon Thu 25-May-17 13:46:49

Agreed!
Police here now not sharing info with US intelligence since leaked info and pictures let US press name the killer before our news!

Elegran Thu 25-May-17 14:41:59

Named the killer before the generally agree 36-hour pause was up, thus forewarning his contacts and giving them a chance to skedaddle. Also published a photograph of something covered in blood, found at the scene, which could have identified someone whose family didn't even know that they had been there. Nitwits.

Backsup1 Thu 25-May-17 14:49:04

My apoligies to the person,i took her the wrong way
I was just upset after hearing what happened to those innocent people.
And me and my family has alway's detested the I.R.A.
When i was younger i was terrified to go into Dublin city in case a bomb went off.

Elegran Thu 25-May-17 14:51:20

The top US diplomat in the UK has said that leaks of the investigation into the Manchester attack to the US media were "reprehensible" and will be stopped.

gillybob Thu 25-May-17 15:07:02

Very sad news for my town today. Our flags are flying at half mast for a beautiful young couple who had their entire lives ahead of them. sad

Norah Thu 25-May-17 15:12:22

Elegran, The top US diplomat in the UK has said that leaks of the investigation into the Manchester attack to the US media were "reprehensible" and will be stopped.

Sure. Those idiots and their "news".

Luckygirl Thu 25-May-17 16:10:08

It is vital that this spat with the US dos not compromise the future sharing of important intelligence. Intelligence is the only concrete way forward.