Gransnet forums

News & politics

Snap election - could TM have seriously miscalculated?

(142 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 28-May-17 07:33:39

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/who-will-win-general-election-2017-latest-polls-odds-tracker/

Everybody (including the government) has seemed seemed to assume the Tories were on track for a landslide victory but current opinion polls suggest Labour is closing the gap. Support for Jeremy Corbyn is increasing especially among women and the projections suggest he will do better than Miliband.
Now, it could be one of several things
Fear of the consequences of a massive Tory majority
Distrust of May in the Brexit negotiations (and they will go ahead I assume )
I think hopes of a U turn there are misguided and in any case the resulting uncertainty and confusion would be catastrophic for the economy. The damage has been done there.
Maybe women don't like a "bloody difficult woman"
Or is it the twinkly eyes and the beard?

rosesarered Sun 04-Jun-17 12:01:05

Ourkid I'm afraid it's not looking at all good for the Lib Dems.

Anniebach Sun 04-Jun-17 12:02:09

And Jen, perhaps you need to speak to your family who have moved to Wales, they may help you understand there is a difference between a country and just one English city

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 12:10:46

Did I compare Wales and London?
Thought not.
I was just saying that LABOUR ARE GOING TO WIN IN BOTH LONDON AND WALES.

That, to me, is a reason to rejoice. You do whatever you like, Annie. Sackcloth and ashes?

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 12:12:24

Oh, and some of my family were born in Wales and have really Welsh names. Sorry about that. I know it will disappoint you.

Anniebach Sun 04-Jun-17 12:14:26

But not England and Wales, and why not Cardiff and London? Both are capital cities

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 12:16:19

I didn't do the polls, Annie. I am sure you can find what you want if you look.

Anniebach Sun 04-Jun-17 12:16:47

Disappoint me? Good grief why would I disappointed over anything which is of no interest to me .jen.?

daphnedill Sun 04-Jun-17 12:17:20

One person's view of the situation in Wales:

www.newstatesman.com/long-reads

daphnedill Sun 04-Jun-17 12:18:54

Some people could start an argument in an empty room.

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 12:22:58

Interesting polls about number of seats by yougov.
Tories will not have majority, but with Northern Ireland or SNP could form a government.
I wonder what will happen then.

daphnedill Sun 04-Jun-17 12:50:06

The polls are all over the place, ranging from 12 point to 1 point lead for the Conservatives. In the end, it depends on seats and the number of tactical votes. The number of 18-24 year olds who actually vote could also make a difference.

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 13:01:06

Someone got it right.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2017/jun/04/theresa-may-slithers-through-the-political-jungle

Anniebach Sun 04-Jun-17 13:15:05

Didn't say you did the polls Jen,n I never bother checking them, I did object to you comparing a country with a city and suggested you compare two cities

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 16:16:49

Brilliant timing.

www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jun/03/the-big-issue-labour-manifesto-what-economy-needs

GracesGranMK2 Sun 04-Jun-17 16:27:17

Interesting list of signatures Jen.

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 16:32:24

Yes, that's what I thought, GracesGran.
I hope their students take notice.