Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative voters don't look at this

(301 Posts)
FarNorth Wed 31-May-17 12:25:21

www.facebook.com/theguardian/videos/690794987774934/

This video shows the reality of life for a disabled person after seven years of a Conservative government (with a little help from the LibDems).

Is she an unusual exception, I wonder?

FarNorth Thu 01-Jun-17 16:12:16

Although Alex has given up on taking medications because of the cost of prescriptions, she is mainly being failed not by the NHS, but by Social Care.

Clearly, the UK doesn't have unlimited finances but we can apparently afford to spend money on upgrading palaces (Buckingham and Westminster), while causing misery to Alex and others.

Norah Thu 01-Jun-17 17:27:27

Do any of you believe you are changing the mind of another? I do not have that power.

Nonetheless, all the political threads are an interesting read.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:29:08

Merlot I have no idea what you are talking about. I am not spoiling for any 'fight'. I am not six; I am an adult.

Chewbacca, the question was rhetorical. I wasn't demanding anything.

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 17:33:50

Just having a conversation, Norah. Is that against the rules?
Is it against the rules to feel sorry for someone who has to crawl around her flat?
Is it against the rules to feel disgusted at the system that allows this to happen?

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:02:16

Where does Alex live that her local services have failed her so badly? Some areas do seem to manage better than others - does hers have lack of staff to add to the problems?
Why does she not get free prescriptions? www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx - Who is entitled to free prescriptions?

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:04:41

And what Jane10 said is often true
Jane10 Wed 31-May-17 14:07:00

Elegran Thu 01-Jun-17 18:33:40

Whose vitriol do I refer to? ANY AND ALL vitriol dirties the inclusiveness of the party whose members descend to it, and I have read some incredible examples of it on these political threads. If anyone thinks I mean them, and the cap fits, then wear it. The chief perpetrators will, of course, claim that all the vitriol comes from the other side, none of it from them!

At one point I was accused of not offering anything to the debate on here. I have no obligation to offer anything for anyone else to "debate" (aka pull to pieces and condemn as ignorance) You may assume what you will about how I voted on my postal voting paper, which I sent today. You are probably wrong.

Norah Thu 01-Jun-17 18:35:29

dj, did I say anything about the rules? I said nobody can change another to their vote, I can not.

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:54:09

Alex lives in Islington and another, more suitable, ground floor flat has been found for her which needs extensive alterations which are being carried out as quickly as possible apparently.
She has a carer but the hoist is too large to move from room to room.
I do not know why she is not receiving her prescriptions free of charge as it would seem that she should qualify. And incontinence pads are available on the NHS after assessment, for which I would have thought she would qualify.

Ana Thu 01-Jun-17 18:54:27

Well said Elegran. You're absolutely right.

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:55:40

Again - what Jane10 said

FarNorth Thu 01-Jun-17 19:07:52

Having checked further, here's what Alex says about incontinence pads :

“Only dementia patients get pull-ups now, and then only two a day,” says Alex, who can’t afford the £80 a month required to buy them every day. “So I’m left in soiled pull-ups causing sores and infections.”

She has been waiting since March (3 months so far) for the allocated flat to be made ready.

More info here :
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/30/disabled-readers-austerity-disability-cuts

whitewave Thu 01-Jun-17 19:09:32

2 incontinence a day!!!!! God almighty what is the matter with this wretched country

whitewave Thu 01-Jun-17 19:09:43

Pads

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 19:19:16

Please, Gransnetters, don't vote for that to continue.
It's appalling, degrading, dehumanising.

Whe my husband needed incontinence pads in 2012, the carers were appalled that they could not just bring them to him from the homes or hospitals.
We ended up with more than he needed as anyone coming to change or wash him brought some with them.
After he died, three weeks later, we took all the left over ones to the hospice up the hill.
I had hoped that it would have got better since then.

Jane10 Thu 01-Jun-17 19:19:47

Check my previous posting to which I see Jalima has already referred.

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 19:22:59

No, Jane, why should we?
Does my last post not matter?

FarNorth Thu 01-Jun-17 19:27:08

Here's a doctor talking about the NHS. He says doctors are told not to prescribe certain things. Perhaps some of those things are ones which Alex previously had prescribed.

www.facebook.com/ThirdFilms/videos/795320937287748/?fref=mentions

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 19:57:28

The NHS, to me, is the main reason for getting rid of this government. If they are elected again we will have given them permission to sell it off to their friends.
The idea makes me feel sick.

Cherrytree59 Thu 01-Jun-17 19:58:42

Is there postcode lottery on incontinence pads?
My late father had his NHS pads delivered, if for any reason he ran out, the district nurse always provided spares.

Jane10 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:01:21

dj in that case you've missed the point.

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 20:02:15

Okay, Jane, tell me what the point is.

Jane10 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:58:54

The point is that there are other people with disabilities who have lots of support and funding. The spectrum of disability and need is wide and some do better than others. Why this should be is unclear. As I said it sometimes seems like the squeaky wheel gets most oil. I see this across the large group of people who use the centre where I volunteer.

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 21:13:35

But because some people don't get it, you shouldn't say nobody can.
You change the system so it's available to all people with disabilities.
I resent the idea that it's available to those who shout the loudest.

Jane10 Fri 02-Jun-17 08:15:40

I didn't ever say nobody can or should. I think that the unfortunate person whose case was mentioned in the OP deserves better than to be used as propaganda implying that all people with disabilities don't get the help and support they need. For every "Alex" there's others who are doing ok.
Re those that shout the loudest ....unfortunately that's real life. I'm not making it up or saying that's what should happen. No system is foolproof.