Gransnet forums

News & politics

Roll up, roll up place your predictions

(256 Posts)
Rigby46 Sat 03-Jun-17 17:59:38

My prediction( not hope) is for TM to have about a 40/50 overall majority. I reserve the right to change this prediction up to the announcement of the exit poll. Anybody else have a prediction?

varian Sat 03-Jun-17 18:51:54

She will have a majority, but I really hope it's less than she started with. Her campaign has been an utter disgrace, quite pathetic, but you wouldn't know that if you read the DM, E, S, etc and sadly far too many ignorant voters do.

MawBroon Sat 03-Jun-17 19:15:43

My prediction is that either way we will be poorer after 8 June.

MawBroon Sat 03-Jun-17 19:17:30

Oh and if her shenanigans result in either a Labour government, vastly reduced majority or hung parliament "they", the Tory grandees, will have TM's guts for garters for her folie de grandeur.

Anniebach Sat 03-Jun-17 20:15:49

For me, same as MawBroon.

LadyGracie Sat 03-Jun-17 21:47:26

I'm one of the ignorant ones, but I've watched the debates avidly and with an open mind, but my hopes to date are that she gets a bigger majority than she started with! Five days to change my mind!

phoenix Sat 03-Jun-17 21:50:43

Plus ca change, plus c'est let meme chose.

daphnedill Sat 03-Jun-17 22:02:01

Not at all, phoenix. If you genuinely think that, you haven't being pay8ing attention.

daphnedill Sat 03-Jun-17 22:04:59

There's no point in trying to change your mind LadyGracie. If you can't make a decision based on evidence, there's little hope that you'll change your mind in a few days. Progressive politicians have to live with people like you.

Anya Sat 03-Jun-17 22:42:04

Getting back to the OP ....

'There is a quiet integrity and goodness about Mr Jeremy Corbyn which gives me confidence in him. He does not make personal attacks on his political opponents even when they and the Tory press vilify him with lies. He concentrates on the needs of ordinary people in this country. This infuriates the attack dogs who, like bullies the world over, want to provoke him into trading personal insults so that they have an excuse to be even nastier.
A few weeks ago I had my doubts about Mr Corbyn ; I don't now. He is an honest, intelligent and caring man whom I dearly want to change things in Britain for the sake of my children and grandchildren.'

This was written by someone I know and respect and it mirrors what I feel. If enough intelligent, professionals like this have changed their opinions and intend to Vote Labour then anything is possible,

NotTooOld Sat 03-Jun-17 23:16:04

I agree with that, Anya, as I sort of feel the same. However, as I think I've said elsewhere, I can't countenance Diane Abbott as Home Secretary or Emily Thornberry (sp?) either, hence my problem. I'm still trying to make up my mind how to vote on Thursday and I guess there are many others in the same situation.

LadyGracie Sat 03-Jun-17 23:16:05

I meant I was ignorant because of varians opinion of DM readers, which is quite offensive as is your post daphnedill. I said my hopes are that TM gets a bigger majority than she started with. But there are 5 days to change my mind! (tongue in cheek)

Rigby46 Sat 03-Jun-17 23:37:34

Aw - I'm disappointed - I wanted quantitative posts not qualitative ones ( but I liked Anya's )

Tegan2 Sat 03-Jun-17 23:44:47

Me too, Rigby....sums it all up for me [thanks Anya!]...

durhamjen Sat 03-Jun-17 23:48:32

Corbyn to win with a majority of ten? A certainty if the youth vote gets out.
Will that do, Rigby?
Someone's got to be positive.
I agree with Anya, as well.

paddyann Sun 04-Jun-17 00:08:45

labour in England( NOT A PREDICTION A PRAYER) SNP in Scotland ,though theres a Tory MP who is insisting he'll oppose a tory government about the things his constituents want him to oppose....lol Highly unlikely even Labour supported the tories over the past couple of years so why would a backbench tory get away with disagreeing? Anyway ,,as the C and U party are sending out all their leaflets staing RUTHS candidate it would appear Ms Davidson has illusions of granduer and thinks SHE'S in charge

Sar53 Sun 04-Jun-17 06:03:37

I totally object to being called an 'ignorant voter' because I read the DM !! Yes the DM is Tory biased in the same way as the BBC is labour biased, but I am intelligent enough to make up my own mind as to who I want to run this country.
My prediction is a small Conservative majority.

Leticia Sun 04-Jun-17 06:16:40

I never read the DM but I do object to being constantly told that I can't think for myself.
I predict a Tory win but a much smaller majority.

NfkDumpling Sun 04-Jun-17 06:32:21

I think we'll be back where we started with a small Conservative majority. I did think Ms May was strong and wouldn't be taken for a ride so would be a good bet to get us through Brexit, after her campaign I'm not so sure, but on the other hand I fear Mr Corbyn is too reasonable and will compromise too much, give away too much and we'll be worse off than when we were in. Doomed either way.

kittylester Sun 04-Jun-17 07:32:36

Hopefully a larger Tory majority. I also read the DM, The Times, watch the BBC, read Gransnet, talk to people and, surprisingly, have a brain!

Daphne, your post to Ladygracie was rude and arrogant in the extreme and why people who might vote Tory often don't bother posting on political threads.

daphnedill Sun 04-Jun-17 07:48:27

You are entitled to your opinion kittylester.

I actually find many posts from potential Tory voters extremely rude. Sadly, they don't like being challenged.

daphnedill Sun 04-Jun-17 07:51:41

Back to the OP...

My prediction is that the Conservative lead in the popular vote will be in single figures. The Conservatives will win most seats and we'll probably see some unexpected results.

It looks like Nick Clegg will probably lose his seat and Tim Farron's seat is in danger.

kittylester Sun 04-Jun-17 07:55:34

Thank you, daphne.

Iam64 Sun 04-Jun-17 08:16:48

I'm another supporter for f Anna's post, including the quotation. I read a similar article in the Independent yesterday from one of their lead journalists. I don't fear Corbyn being unable to negotiate Brexit effectively. I want a Labour win but hope Diane abbot is immediately replaced as shadow or Home Secretary, whatever the result.

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 08:56:23

I would think that home secretary would be Emily Thornberry or Keir Starmer, depending on which one of them had most to do with Brexit.