Gransnet forums

News & politics

A strong statement?

(56 Posts)
phoenix Mon 05-Jun-17 18:25:38

Evening all, not sure if this should have been under religion?

I've just heard on the radio that several mosques are refusing to say the traditional prayer for the dead for those responsible for the events in London.

I applaud their decision, especially as it would seem to go against usual practice, but will it result in further action from extremists?

I very much hope not.

Blinko Thu 08-Jun-17 09:37:08

Is it just me, or has anyone else detected a misogynist (sp) element to these killings. There have been a couple of reports of the killers seeming to go out of their way to kill young women. For instance, in one case a young woman was hiding behind a counter, one of the killers spotted her and turned back to kill her.

pollyperkins Thu 08-Jun-17 15:04:16

I think they see young women dressed western style out in pubs etc & sometimes unaccompanied as decadent & immoral so need to punish them. In their perverted minds. Maybe thats why they targeted th Grande concert.

W11girl Sat 10-Jun-17 22:16:15

Monica, you may remember some attempted stabbings that took place at an East London tube station a while back. The perpetrator was Muslim, as we know it. However one man(a muslim) who tried to stop him shouted "you're no muslim bruv"...so I think their point is that these people go against the peaceful beliefs of Islam and therefore are not recognised as Muslims when they breach the "rules" of the Queran.

daphnedill Sat 10-Jun-17 22:29:00

Is there anybody on GN who is Muslim and finds many posts offensive and ignorant? I'm genuinely interested in knowing, so PM me if you don't want to post in public.

phoenix Sat 10-Jun-17 23:48:03

I have appreciated the responses to the OP, quite a lot of thought provoking posts.

Just another thought, big bright thing in the sky illuminates the whole world, we call it the sun, in France, solei, in other countries, other words, but no one has ever argued over it, let alone fought or gone to war.

So, we accept that there is only one sun, no problem with that.

So if there is some sort of God/Supreme Being, why can't it be that he/she just happens to be referred to by different names, God, Allah, Buddha, whatever? No need to fight, argue, just accept that we talk about the same thing, but in a different language.

And of course if there IS a supreme being, then it must have been around before people, and therefore before language, especially written. So we have the oral tradition, but like Chinese Whispers, by the time it's gone round a few times, the original words have changed, but I suppose there will always be someone who absolutely insists that what was said was not "love thy neighbour" but "loathe thy neighbour". (figuratively)