Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yet another TM speech

(42 Posts)
Rigby46 Fri 09-Jun-17 13:01:59

Really, really, really? I thought we'd just had a general election designed to increase her majority where she ended up with fewer seats than the last one. She didn't mention it - it's been air brushed. Did it happen? She sounded very very strange - 5 years with the DUP? Misogynistic, homophobic, fundementallist - good luck with all of thatTessie.

MargaretX Sat 10-Jun-17 10:41:43

Not only that she has made the UK a laughing stock abroad especially in the EU. They were supposed to be slow and inefficient but they have done the paperwork and are waiting to begin with Brexit.

whitewave Sat 10-Jun-17 10:46:28

I know mx it is excruciatingly embarrassing. I still don't think that they have a plan. I think that Brussels requested Davis be replaced as he wasn't bright enough, but May is so weak she has no choice.

daphnedill Sat 10-Jun-17 10:47:06

David Davis claimed in an interview recently that he had an A4 sheet of paper with some specific details. Doesn't seem much nearly a year after the referendum.

JessM Sun 11-Jun-17 07:21:50

I think it's probably taken them a year to identify all the issues and all the treaties that will be affected by Brexit (0ver 700 treaties identified by FT and still counting)
Barnier's 3 top issues are Money, Expats and Ireland.
There is currently no devolved government in Ireland due to the incompetence and intransigence of - drumroll - the DUP.
They set up the "cash for ash" scheme which cost hundreds of millions before they pulled the plug. Their leader then refused to step down. May now cosies up to this bunch, with their vile attitudes.
They make those extreme Trump supporters look like kittens.
Can you imagine if Labour had won a similar number of seats and was going to do a deal with Sinn Fein? The wringing of hands and howling from the rooftops?

Ferelot Sun 11-Jun-17 08:05:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

whitewave Sun 11-Jun-17 08:17:43

dd Davis isn't the brightest spark in the box, that's why he can only come up with one sheet of issues dealing with the EU - these were the people that persuaded the country to vote for Brexit - ye Gods!!

HeyHo Sun 11-Jun-17 09:49:05

I don't know whether this post might be deleted by the moderators, I hope not.

The thought occurred to me that the two awful and terrible terror attacks had an ulterior motive.
Theresa May was committed to negotiating Brexit and wanted a stronger position in this country.
Brexit was an important election topic - until the Terror Attack in Manchester. This railroaded the election and started to bring disarray.
The second attack in London, completed the task - Theresa May's strategy failed, we now have a weak and unstable Government, and this, in turn, will greatly affect the negotiations for Brexit that have to go ahead.
We have lost or political stability, and are seen by Europe to be weak and insecure.
The Terror attacks achieved this, at the cost to them, of only 4 terrorist lives.
ISIS were successful - it is a very worrying thought of how to potentially undermine a country and its stability.

whitewave Sun 11-Jun-17 09:52:45

Marr - Fallon sticking to the party line.

Osborne hysterical with glee

Hesletyne busy splitting the Tories

daphnedill Sun 11-Jun-17 09:57:45

You could almost see Fallon's strings being pulled.

I'm eating a big slice of humble pie. Corbyn is being the voice of reason. I can actually see him as PM.

whitewave Sun 11-Jun-17 09:59:36

Marr - Corbyn unsurprisingly reminding Marr how Marr and so many other commentators got it very wrong.

Corbyn arguing for a soft Brexit.

Great Repeal Bill dead - May couldn't get it through

Joint position? Corbyn rejects Tories vision, bad deal, no deal.

Corbyn very sure of his position, ?strong and stable?

Rejection of austerity.

Corbyn will reach out to the PLP

whitewave Sun 11-Jun-17 10:00:26

Labour needs money - off goes my donation

whitewave Sun 11-Jun-17 10:00:57

Tories accept that Corbyn is a major threat. I should say so

Cindersdad Sun 11-Jun-17 10:02:02

Exactly Whnitewave. The most telling thing is this election is the near total collapse of UKIP. The party lines on Brexit for both the Tories and Labour were adopted because they both feared a UKIP ascendancy. Now that UKIP has been shown to be what it is they should have the courage to at least consider that the population may well think that Brexit is a truly bad idea.

daphnedill Sun 11-Jun-17 10:06:19

Fingers crossed! Hehe!

Labour has some serious work to do, but it no longer needs to be afraid of losing seats to Ukip. It needs policies for its heartlands.

TriciaF Sun 11-Jun-17 10:39:37

"Fingers crossed! Hehe!"
Plus say a prayer - I said a prayer that the Tories would lose their overall majority the day before the election, and on election day. TG it seems to have worked smile
It can't hurt!

Deedaa Sun 11-Jun-17 20:45:04

I just love the way they can't see how it all happened!