Gransnet forums

News & politics

London fire

(1001 Posts)
ninathenana Wed 14-Jun-17 08:12:32

Awful news, just seen this on the news.
Thoughts with everyone involved including firefighters

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 21-Jun-17 17:59:11

This sounds like good news indeed, especially as each home will be fully furnished.

I just hope the new flats are not too far away from their support networks and their children will still be on the same catchment area for schools, etc. I also hope that anyone who is not on housing benefit can afford the rent. In general social housing built as part of gaining planning permission means rents set at 80% of the market rates.

A poor door won't be necessary because the tenants will be housed in a separate building with its own entrance.

Sounds like a huge step forward. The media is playing games with the news though, giving the wrong impression which could cause further resentment in certain quarters.

durhamjen Wed 21-Jun-17 18:02:40

I think it's brilliant that the Grenfell families are being given flats in that complex. Berkeley Group built them, one of the best developers in the country. They win awards for sustainable development, and seem to know what it means.
It looks weird that they are just one and two bedroomed flats, but so were the ones in Grenfell Tower. They just had families living near each other.

Rigby46 Wed 21-Jun-17 18:04:38

My guess would be that the rents will be protected with the difference being made up by the government ( who have now found the magic money tree).The flats are1.5 miles from GT and re the schools, again, I'm sure they will give them the choice of staying where they are. I think the authorities are going to tread very carefully now because the tenants will be listened to at last and there will be people ensuring this happens

durhamjen Wed 21-Jun-17 18:04:53

I am hopeful Wilma, that the millions that have been donated will enable people to stay there. I hope they stop the cap for those who are on housing benefit. It's iniquitous anyway.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 21-Jun-17 18:06:12

I know there are two types of social housing and one is more expensive than the other (no idea why but I probably should have). They asked the question about which this was on PM but the answer isn't yet clear WKf.

You are right about the media. The first thing they are doing is mentioning the price of the private flats. That's the media I suppose.

rosesarered Wed 21-Jun-17 18:06:40

So fears were unfounded that the government/council would send people out of London to live.I thought that they wouldn't.smile These flats sound great, and are a good start.

Iam64 Wed 21-Jun-17 18:07:56

Friends who work in Housing tell me it's becoming hard to rent three bed houses because of the bedroom tax. Where previously a young family with a boy and a girl would happily take a three bed, the rules now mean brothers and sisters are expected to share (I think it's to high school or age ten, sure someone will know). Same sex siblings are to share a bedroom. This is the case even where tenants were allocated three beds before the tax was introduced. Maybe that's why few three or four bed flats are available.

whitewave Wed 21-Jun-17 18:09:57

iam64 does it become illegal at say puberty?

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 21-Jun-17 18:22:30

roses that's certainly one aspect I wasn't concerned with and I think the media were twisting every rumour they came across.

That said, those properties were built to be social housing, so that's a number of properties which won't be available to let to others waiting to be housed/rehoused. I hope K&C won't try to sell off the land Grenfell Tower is on after it's demolished. It should build more social housing.

Iam64 Wed 21-Jun-17 18:22:37

I will google ww. Two years ago, I knew of a family sent to a very deprived small town in the north west, from a London borough. They'd been in a hostel and the mother's request to be housed in the area where she had friends and family, so the children could remain in the same school was refused. There were numerous problems, not least a damp, cockroach and vermin infested house. It was a two bed, the children were five and ten (reception and year 6) a boy and a girl. The sw team said they'd been illegally housed in a two when they should have three beds.

durhamjen Wed 21-Jun-17 18:25:57

We have to hope they relax some rules for Grenfell Tower residents.

speye.wordpress.com/2017/06/16/grenfell-survivors-now-sht-on-by-tory-government/

Actually, the best thing they can do is get rid of the bedroom tax, for everyone, show a bit of contrition for the mess their laws have caused.

whitewave Wed 21-Jun-17 18:28:04

There is absolutely no doubt that families have been actively persuaded to move out of London. It is a cruel thing to do to those who wish to stay.

As I have mentioned previously working in special ed. Many of our children in fact originated from London.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 21-Jun-17 18:28:47

When I worked in housing in the 80s, families with a boy and girl were not allocated 2 bed properties. Once a child reached 16 they were counted as adults. This was just for the purpose of allocation of properties, families could do what they wanted once they were housed. Sounds like things have changed a lot over the years.

durhamjen Wed 21-Jun-17 18:30:22

Only in the last seven years, Wilma.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 21-Jun-17 18:37:46

Thanks dj.

I can back up ww on this because the neighbouring council to ours is one of those that accepted them. I'm not sure how it worked in practice though, because the council sold off its housing stock in 2000 and the only social housing is available from housing associations.

durhamjen Wed 21-Jun-17 18:42:35

I lived in Peterborough, in the 70s and 80s, and the newtown bit was built as London overspill. Houses owned by the development corporation. I knew quite a lot of people from London, and I can only recall one or two complaining and saying they were going to move back to London at the first opportunity.

rosesarered Wed 21-Jun-17 19:11:16

Wilma my feeling is that the land the tower block (was built on )will not be rebuilt on, perhaps a garden or something. A play area etc.

Riverwalk Wed 21-Jun-17 19:26:59

I agree Roses - there is no way that this site will be built on, other than say a memorial garden or for the use of the next door school.

whitewave Wed 21-Jun-17 19:37:31

Channel 4 is so powerful at the moment

Welshwife Wed 21-Jun-17 19:38:44

Great the people will be fairly close to where they were living and able to continue with friends and local things too. Excellent news about having the flats furnished too.

durhamjen Wed 21-Jun-17 19:39:58

Yes, whitewave, I am watching it now.

This is an interesting article. I hope the people of Kensington read it and react accordingly.

inews.co.uk/opinion/simon-kelner-grenfell-londons-hillsborough/

durhamjen Wed 21-Jun-17 19:42:30

TMO wouldn't come on the programme, and they didn't recognise there had been complaints?
What?

whitewave Wed 21-Jun-17 19:46:47

The exTMO woman said the tragedy was a direct result of cost cutting which in itself was due to austerity.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 21-Jun-17 19:47:52

I never thought of a garden of remembrance. Of course, it's a perfect idea.

whitewave Wed 21-Jun-17 19:49:51

Just like the twin towers

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion