Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tim Farron

(69 Posts)
suzied Wed 14-Jun-17 18:31:46

I must admit I thought he was a liability. Vince Cable anyone?

whitewave Wed 14-Jun-17 18:35:40

Who's the girl she was always about in the coalition. I wasn't keen but that means nothinggrin

varian Wed 14-Jun-17 19:13:39

A very dignified statement from Tim Farron, who realised that the right wing press would always see his Christianity as an achilles heel (nobody ever scrutinised Theresa May in the same way)

www.libdems.org.uk/liberal-democrat-leader-tim-farron-resigns

whitewave Wed 14-Jun-17 19:15:12

That's exactly what I thought varian

MaizieD Wed 14-Jun-17 19:19:29

nobody ever scrutinised Theresa May in the same way

Perhaps because May doesn't act like a practising Christian.

I'm sorry that Farron felt it necessary to resign.

I suspect Vince Cable will be elected as the new leader.

varian Wed 14-Jun-17 19:24:22

Much as I admire Vince Cable, he is not the only contender. There is Norman Lamb, champion of equal rights for mental and physical health. (My OH voted for him in the last leadership election, although I voted for Tim), Ed Davey who is brilliant on energy and climate change and Jo Swinson, probably the most charismatic and a welcome returner to parliament.

whitewave Wed 14-Jun-17 19:32:24

Jo Swinson!! That's who I was trying to remember.

Niobe Wed 14-Jun-17 19:32:24

Jo Swinson was a minister in the ill-judged coalition with the Conservatives. I think she always voted with them and the Libs are trying to distance themselves from that period. May count against Cable too. Should be interesting though!

MawBroon Wed 14-Jun-17 19:33:06

Oh dear. Seemed a nice enough chap,
I wonder why NOW exactly? (Cynical, moi?)
I hope we are not going to find skeletons in his cupboard. hmm

varian Wed 14-Jun-17 19:38:29

I don'y think it would be fair to write off anyone who was a coalition minister. The LibDems are strongly in favour of PR, which tends to lead to coalitions. In 2010 most party members would have preferred a coalition with Labour, but the numbers did not add up and so the difficult decision was made to work with the Conservatives.

The LibDems put country before party, something which no other party has done. Norman Lamb, Vince Cable, Jo Swinson, Ed Davey and others did a good job. They should most certainly not be disqualified from leading the party.

petra Wed 14-Jun-17 19:43:17

Because " I can't be the leader of a liberal progressive party and stay true to my Christian faith"
Surely he must have given this dilemma a lot of thought before putting himself up for leader. He knew he was anti gay and anti abortion when going for the job.

Smileless2012 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:01:29

"Perhaps because May doesn't behave like a practising Christian"confused, in what way Mazie? What right do you or anyone have to question the sincerity of another's beliefs?

HildaW Wed 14-Jun-17 20:13:09

Seem to remember him a few days ago on the film he made for the One Show.....saying.....'I'm not a quitter'.....and then repeating it! Hey ho.

petra Wed 14-Jun-17 20:15:09

smileless2012
Teresa May is not the leader of a 'progressive liberal' party, Tim does. He's not very liberal or progressive in his views on gay people or abortion.
You can't have it both ways.

rosesarered Wed 14-Jun-17 20:22:48

Smileless .....I expect T May is accused of not behaving like a practising Christian simply because she is a Conservative, on this forum, that is enough to damn anybody ( yes, totally ridiculous, I know) grin

Farron may have resigned because the Lib Dems did poorly in the GE.

Smileless2012 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:25:45

I agree petra, his membership never mind being leader of a 'progressive liberal' party has always struck me as questionable. My post however wasn't about that, it was asking what gives Mazie the right to question TM's faith or anyone the right to question the sincerity of another's beliefs.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:26:07

I'm sorry to hear that. He seems like a thoroughly nice man (I did say on another thread that he seemed like a benign and good headmaster but that got me into trouble).
However, I didn't think he was dynamic enough and perhaps that is the problem.
I would trust him far more than I did Clegg though, or Cable.

Perhaps all the encouragement for 'tactical voting' was not good for the Lib Dems either.

Smileless2012 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:27:30

rosessmile Are you enjoying your holiday?

petra Wed 14-Jun-17 20:38:04

Smileless
Understood smile

rosesarered Wed 14-Jun-17 20:40:18

Wonderful thanks Smileless and having a large G&T in the hotel right now.smile

Iam64 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:46:45

Theresa May is a practicing Christian but she isn't an evangelical Christian. Tim Farron seems to have felt his beliefs on homosexuality, gay marriage were incompatible with being the leader of a 'progressive' party.
I heard on the radio that Brian Paddock has resigned because of Tim Farron's views.

Anniebach Wed 14-Jun-17 20:57:04

How is a practicing Christian suppose to act?

There is little choice for a leader of the Libs , pity.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Jun-17 21:24:04

Perhaps because May doesn't act like a practising Christian.
What does that mean? confused

Anniebach Wed 14-Jun-17 21:32:12

To say May doesn't act like a practicing Christian can only be said by someone who doesn't attend church, doesn't mix with Christians and possibly is an atheist

Does queenie behave like a practicing Christian?

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Jun-17 21:34:34

As Christians range from RC to Orthodox to Coptic to Evangelical through so many different permutations on the way, how is it possible to know how any one would act?