Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tim Farron

(70 Posts)
suzied Wed 14-Jun-17 18:31:46

I must admit I thought he was a liability. Vince Cable anyone?

Luckygirl Wed 14-Jun-17 21:49:47

I am not sure what he is trying to say. That a politician cannot be a Christian; that you cannot be Christian and liberal; that he is not really liberal because some of his views are illiberal? Seems a funny tome to suddenly make this decision. Surely he expected journalists to ask questions about how his faith impinges on his views? He can't be that naive. Weird.

MawBroon Wed 14-Jun-17 21:56:56

I understand both Her Maj and Theresa May go to church every Sunday but presumably not together.

Morgana Wed 14-Jun-17 21:59:26

I would think that a christian would have sympathy for the poor the disabled the mentally ill the children of our land......... and try to make their lives better wherever possible.

Anniebach Wed 14-Jun-17 23:12:52

And how do you know all Christians do not have sympathy for the poor , they may have different views on how to Improve lives

paddyann Wed 14-Jun-17 23:13:41

dont they all have the same core beliefs though*Jalima1108*,you know the "care for the sick and the vulnerable love thy neighbour as thineself",sort of stuff.I dont recall seeing make the disabled work until they die or llet kids go hungry while the rich prosper in the bible.Mind you after reading about Theresa Mays ,seemingly "christian vicar" father I can understand her version is somewhat scewed...like many they take the bits they like and disregard the rest ..or as my local minister says ,there are some sundays you'd be hard pushed to find a REAL christian in some churches

Jane10 Thu 15-Jun-17 08:22:47

It was pretty odd timing though. On a day that all news time was devoted to the the tragic fire in Kensington. Certainly made me wonder...

Pittcity Thu 15-Jun-17 08:31:29

I'd rather have his Christian views than those of the DUP!

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 08:35:04

paddyann, it is widely acknowledge the priest gets the congregation he deserves , so best not to critcise the church goer but the priest who told you that rubbish

NanKate Thu 15-Jun-17 08:58:10

I was really upset by the vicious interrogation method used to question Tim Farron on his beliefs during the Election.

I am not a Liberal and do not particularly like TF, but admire him for being a man of principle. I wish him well.

Welshwife Thu 15-Jun-17 09:10:59

I agree with Kate about the way Tim Farron was interrogated on a number of occasions by journalists - I was impressed by the way he kept his cool with them.
Not sure I can agree with your view about a priest and his congregation Annie. Often a priest inherits his congregation, and also the demographic of the people in the area.
Often Christianity comes from within - it is a way of living and treating other people and not being overt with actions or words.

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 09:45:01

Welshwife, are you saying some areas do not have Christian congregations ? A priest builds up a church community , paddyanns priest is judging people not only in his//her church but numerous churches , this is often used by atheists to condemn Christians and that priest was certaintly lacking in Christian charity

paddyann Thu 15-Jun-17 09:49:40

"minister" Annie and he is the best the most tolerant of men ,his church is standing room only EVERY week.He was passing comment on a church where we had done the photographs for a wedding ,not a church where all were wellcome ..rather all with big bank balances

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 09:52:32

Really paddyann? Standing room only but very few Christians ? To judge people in numerous other churches is not Christian , judge not etc

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 09:54:26

And paddyann, your minister said - in some churches not one church

Welshwife Thu 15-Jun-17 10:13:43

I am not saying any such thing Annie. I have been a member of more than one congregation where there was a change of priest and little change of congregation and also seen stalwart members of said congregations who were not necessarily true Christians at all.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:18:22

Which is why I said that:
As Christians range from RC to Orthodox to Coptic to Evangelical through so many different permutations on the way, how is it possible to know how any one would act?
and those of the same branch of faith could act in quite a different way to each other.

moxeyns Thu 15-Jun-17 10:31:35

I'm sad that he feels forced out because of his beliefs; I thought that he did a good job of defending others' rights to act and believe in accordance with their own value structure, irrespective of his.
I didn't think he was the most charismatic leader possible, though, and am looking forward to the discussion. My current view is that Vince Cable is too old; I'd be reluctant to take Norman Lamb away from the excellent job he's doing on mental health provision (plus looking after a busy constituency); and I have the usual twitch towards favouring the woman, but will wait to see what Jo has to say.

Jaycee5 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:32:31

MawBroon It may be now because Lord Paddick resigned as a Lib Dem spokesman because he could not reconcile Farron's views with his own homosexuality. It was probably a combination of factors.

radicalnan Thu 15-Jun-17 10:35:27

Poor Tim, applied for the wrong job, not leader material or even very good at politics. Politics is a very grim game really and what is needed is, people with excellent negotiating skills, administration genius and warm communicator.

Our choices from all parties do not meet the above criteria

Corbyn is a Dali Lam wanabee
Tim is a closet vicar
May is a girl's school headmistress

We just don't have the right candidates.

Cable? that greasy old man caught telling young women about all the 'power he has'...............creepy.

We need them all to stand down, fumigate the HOC & HOL and get some proper people in......no idea who mind.

It is a job of work and yet world wide we get these muppets who want us to follow them and their 'beliefs', we should whittle the work down to the basics, defence, welfare, economy and stop sweating the small stuff. I abhor all this personality stuff. That French chap kissing his wife on the lips at state occasions PLEASE, who does that really at important work do's. Never seen her Maj snogging Prince Phillip. They forget they are our employees and it become about them.

ExaltedWombat Thu 15-Jun-17 10:38:28

Interesting to compare Farron with the DUP woman who was reluctant to expound her views on abortion, hiding behind 'we'll leave it to the courts'.

NemosMum Thu 15-Jun-17 10:40:20

Tim Farron was in the wrong party: he should have been in the DUP expressing the views he did on sexual matters. It was the Liberal Party which were instrumental in decriminalising both homosexual acts and abortion. Not only was he illiberal in regard to sexuality, but he was also anti-democratic, believing that he knew better than the majority over membership of the EU. He wasn't very brave during the election campaign as either a Christian or a Liberal was he? Funny he's coming out 'as a Christian' now when he's been challenged over his leadership.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:48:26

What was it Ann Widdecombe said of Michael Howard?

"There is something of the night about him"

I think that applies to Vince Cable, I am sure he is a perfectly decent man but he makes me feel uneasy.

W11girl Thu 15-Jun-17 10:48:54

He is hiding behind his religion! He knows, as I do as a practising roman catholic with a gay son, that the church preaches "tolerance" for all. He is committing a sin by not having tolernce! Having said this, the rules of the Church these days are all "man-made". My views are between me and my god. He comes across as homophobic to me and nothing else!

libra10 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:52:20

I have never liked Tim Farron nor the Lib Dem party. He annoyed me immensely ranting on about having another referendum regarding leaving the EU.

However, as his Christian values conflicted with party line, it would always be difficult for him to continue. I admire his courage in sticking to his true values and resigning from a job which I am sure he loved.

He has gained my respect.

Disgruntled Thu 15-Jun-17 10:58:08

I think Norman Lamb would be a good choice.