Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tim Farron

(70 Posts)
suzied Wed 14-Jun-17 18:31:46

I must admit I thought he was a liability. Vince Cable anyone?

JaneD3 Thu 15-Jun-17 11:02:22

There are other faiths which do not support homosexuality but their MPs are not questioned as Tim Farron was. Let's have a level playing field BBC etc.

Cagsy Thu 15-Jun-17 11:02:53

I thought Tim's speeches at the last 2 party conferences were a brilliant and impassioned plea for justice for refugees and almost made me consider re-joining the party - but only almost, I remain a Green.
I too am a Christian but my faith is not at all troubled by gay marriage, abortion etc, love is the central theme and boy do we need that with all the shit in the world sunshine

Craftycat Thu 15-Jun-17 12:02:43

I admire him for sticking to his principles. It can't have been easy to give up a job he had worked hard to get. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It is obviously important to him. I wish him well.

Nelliemaggs Thu 15-Jun-17 12:12:35

I wish he had resigned before the election; I just couldn't vote Lib Dem with him in place. I agree Jalima, something of the night about Vince Cable though clearly a very clever man. General shortage of leadership material in all the major parties at the moment perhaps.

Susie3042 Thu 15-Jun-17 12:54:18

Just ask Vince Cable of he agrees with private education ? I say more! Oh , I wonder what Diane Abott thinks too !!!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 15-Jun-17 13:26:08

Not surprised.
If only he could have got off his soap box.
You can be a preacher you can be a politician.
In todays world you can't be both.

Caro1954 Thu 15-Jun-17 13:48:45

Paddyann's minister would worry me. He expresses not very Christian opinions and seems guilty of the biggest sin of all, pride. Judge not ... Someone else has suggested that Tim Farron is lacking in dynamism and, although I believe him to be sincere, I agree. But where are the statesmen/women today. I have no affiliation to any party.

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 13:56:30

I agree Caro. Regards leaders there is not one who I am interested in listening to, they have the same affect as Mogadon and certainly not world stage material

nigglynellie Thu 15-Jun-17 14:19:35

I can't help feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye, but maybe not. To be virtually hounded out of a job because of your Christian beliefs doesn't sit well with me, and although over the years I have become a sceptical christian (God and I fall out on a regular basis!!) I still firmly believe our Lord's own words that 'In my father's house there are many mansions'. Perhaps Tim Farron couldn't accept that,which was his right, and was regarded, unjustifiably imo as intolerant and bigoted, and this is where the problem lies.

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 15:40:31

I confess, I too have a problem , adultery , just cannot accept it

Welshwife Thu 15-Jun-17 15:58:52

I never actually heard him say he had a problem with any of that but saw it reported he did- slightly different. His opinions should be his own anyway - I would think we all have ideas not everyone agrees with. He was always good at engaging with the public - actually listening to them - and then saying he did not agree with them but supported their right to those opinions - pity he was not given the same courtesy.
As to his views on Brexit - he was the only one to stick to his principles there - the rest of them just caved in so as not to annoy the press barons any further - they are the money men and can make politicians or bury them.

durhamjen Thu 15-Jun-17 16:18:33

www.theweek.co.uk/liberal-democrats/85648/the-fantasy-lib-dem-leadership-contest

MargaretX Thu 15-Jun-17 16:19:55

I did not care much for Tim Farron. He embarrassed me, probably because he let his faith hang out bit much.

As to Vince Cable he's always in Germany visiting factories here and taking notes about apprenticships and sixth forms for engineering and economics.
I live in a catholic area and christianity is something you practice but never mention much and has nothing to do with being able to be an MP

minxie Thu 15-Jun-17 16:35:57

Don't understand why he stood for a progressive party if he didnt agree to the policies.

SueDonim Thu 15-Jun-17 20:43:40

Sorry for the link but this is an interesting take on Tim Farron's views. He seems to be a bit of live and let live person.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jennie-rigg/tim-farron-lgbt-record_b_16095906.html

durhamjen Thu 15-Jun-17 20:55:28

That's a good article, SueDonim.
I can see even more why he stepped down, as his faith was the story, not his politics.

joannewton46 Fri 16-Jun-17 01:45:10

Had you asked me before I saw him resign yesterday I would neither have recognised his face nor his name as leader of the LibDems. Not very good at promoting the LibDems then. Nice man or not he was not an effective leader at a time when they really DO need positive leadership to counteract the negativity created by Nick Clegg's breaking of election promises. It will take time and a brilliant leader to get them back anywhere close to 50 MPs. Personally I thought Vince Cable talked sense and did try to stand his ground in coalition, but whether he is the best one to lead is another matter. Yet who else is there? I was a LibDem voter for many years but none of the alternatives mentioned above mean anything to me at all.
Having said that, like others here I do NOT think TF should have been made to feel the need to resign on account of his faith.

daphnedill Fri 16-Jun-17 02:44:01

The bookies' favourite is Jo Swinson.

sluttygran Fri 16-Jun-17 09:19:55

I hope I don't cause offence, but being nonpolitical for a moment, I have met a great many practising Christians with whom I would not care to break bread.
Intolerance, bigotry, snobbishness and lack of charity are 'standard issue' for some of them, and their acquaintance was one of the reasons that I became a lapsed church goer.
In fairness, I have also met a great many kind and gentle people, some of whom attend various places of worship.