Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit negotiations starting tomoorow

(233 Posts)
Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:41:26

We appear to be going naked into the negotiating chamber (as someone once mocked). No deal as yet with the DUP and the Sunday papers full of the civil war that has broken out yet again ( did it ever stop?) in the Tory party. Hammond laid out his position today very clearly didn't he re the absolutely ridiculous mantra 'no deal is better than a bad deal'. How on earth is this going to play out? A chancellor and a PM diametrically opposed. How desperately we are being let down by our so-called leaders, how naked is their own sel-interest being exposed on the Eupropean and World stage. The Tory party in all its glory.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 04-Jul-17 12:47:44

Does anyone else feel the these are people who want a smaller pool so they can feel like bigger fish?

Tegan2 Tue 04-Jul-17 13:04:38

Must have been a terrible disappointment for Farage when le Pen wasn't elected [thank goodness]. The question is, what do they stand to gain from the break up of the EU? It certainly isn't to benefit the general public, is it?

Welshwife Tue 04-Jul-17 13:50:00

I think Putin will love it.

Cindersdad Tue 04-Jul-17 14:01:23

As a EuroPhile I accept that there are many faults with the EU which do need addressing. However the EU is better changed with Britain being part of it.

The world needs a stable EU to counteract both Putin and Trump.

whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 14:42:14

I couldn't agree more cinder - checks and balances.

varian Tue 04-Jul-17 16:06:46

You are right Welshwife, Putin will love it, which is why he pulls so many strings.

whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 20:13:50

I suspect what everyone in the UK will see as the red line in negotiations is that they will not be prepared to get poorer as a result of the negotiations.