Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit negotiations starting tomoorow

(232 Posts)
Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:41:26

We appear to be going naked into the negotiating chamber (as someone once mocked). No deal as yet with the DUP and the Sunday papers full of the civil war that has broken out yet again ( did it ever stop?) in the Tory party. Hammond laid out his position today very clearly didn't he re the absolutely ridiculous mantra 'no deal is better than a bad deal'. How on earth is this going to play out? A chancellor and a PM diametrically opposed. How desperately we are being let down by our so-called leaders, how naked is their own sel-interest being exposed on the Eupropean and World stage. The Tory party in all its glory.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 18:47:15

May out, Hammond in?

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 18:48:51

ukandeu.ac.uk/conservative-divisions-on-brexit-the-general-election-and-beyond/

Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:52:31

No dj both out, Corbyn in grin.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 19:00:01

Well, yes, obviously, but a step at a time so we don't frighten people off.

Welshwife Sun 18-Jun-17 19:28:19

I understand they are starting first about the citizens in other countries and also the 'divorce' settlement before discussing anything else. I found that rather odd but last week I went with a friend to see a French divorce lawyer - and interestingly he told her that at the first meeting in court with the judge the divorce would be granted and only after that would things like the disposal of property be decided at future meetings - so maybe Brexit will follow similarly.
Barnier and the Davis will only meet once a week I think - presumably the Civil Servants will be ha,merging out things in the meantime.

rosesarered Sun 18-Jun-17 19:41:32

I thought Hammond spoke well on the Andrew Marr Show today.

Ana Sun 18-Jun-17 19:42:22

So, not actually negotiating then.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 19:57:04

I find Anand Menon very informative about the negotiations.

ukandeu.ac.uk/what-now-for-brexit-in-light-of-the-general-election-results/

Welshwife Sun 18-Jun-17 20:12:14

I thought they were starting tomorrow but doubt they will get far - they have a morning meeting, lunch together and anothe meeting T end of the day.

Welshwife Sun 18-Jun-17 22:17:44

Has anyone had any ideas about what could be done about the Northern/Southern Irish border? That may well be an interesting one.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 22:25:55

ukandeu.ac.uk/northern-ireland-understanding-the-brexit-vote-and-its-implications-for-the-border/

daphnedill Sun 18-Jun-17 22:26:57

What else did you expect from Hammond rosesarered?

Hammond is the product of an Essex comprehensive and we churn out good kids. wink

Hammond possibly can't help being a Conservative (we all have failings) and not understanding Modern Monetary Theory (which is a bit of a problem if you're Chancellor), but he's not quite so toxic as the rest.

Did you notice the slight smile when Marr suggested May would have sacked him, if she'd had a bigger majority? grin

My money's on Hammond as the next leader of the Conservative Party.

dbDB77 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:39:33

Daphne - what is Modern Monetary Theory?

Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 23:05:20

If the government don't have an agreed position - and especially if the chancellor and PM are at daggers drawn (fact) then where does that leave us ie the British people? And that's before we factor in the DUP position. They want a soft border with Ireland - how on earth can that fit into May's hard Brexit? It simply cannot.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 23:09:59

Exactly where we were before, Rigby, in the dark!

daphnedill Sun 18-Jun-17 23:13:30

dbDB77 I'm about to go to bed, so don't have time to explain MMT fully, but it's basically a theory based on Keynes. Google Ann Pettifor or Steve Keen. Essentially, it debunks Thatcher's idea that a national economy is the same as a household budget and supports state intervention when things go wrong, as they are now.

daphnedill Sun 18-Jun-17 23:15:00

In other words, austerity has been a waste of time. It's caused misery to those at the bottom of the pile, while making those at the the top even richer. It's evidence based.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 23:23:49

From the Mail on Sunday.

That's a surprise.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 19-Jun-17 11:40:12

Rigby 46.Whats your next joke?

SharonJ Mon 19-Jun-17 11:40:22

The poll from the Mail on Sunday is not a surprise at all. The Mail on Sunday supported the Remain campaign.

MaizieD Mon 19-Jun-17 11:49:26

The poll was carried out by the polling company which was the most accurate in predicting a hung parliament.

Of course the Mail on Sunday will publish it as it supports their stance but that doesn't make the poll itself in any way 'wrong' or biased.

SharonJ Mon 19-Jun-17 12:03:09

Seriously? 1005 people?

nancyma Mon 19-Jun-17 12:06:27

The endless civil war in the Tory party makes it quite clear that party ideology/ies is far more important than the country's interests. Entitled arrogant MPs don't even see the chaos around them as long as they get their own way. The electorate are just pawns in their boys games. I am fed up, angry and completely disillusioned

rosesarered Mon 19-Jun-17 12:21:56

Politics was ever thus Nancy unfortunately, and from all the political parties, nobody should kid themselves that it's just the Tories.
There are knives out, in plain sight or hidden up sleeves, and a 'what's in it for me'
Mentality, and jostling for position.Right now both Labour and Conservative Parties are in disarray, disagreement and it's hard to see it ending for quite a while.