Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit negotiations starting tomoorow

(233 Posts)
Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:41:26

We appear to be going naked into the negotiating chamber (as someone once mocked). No deal as yet with the DUP and the Sunday papers full of the civil war that has broken out yet again ( did it ever stop?) in the Tory party. Hammond laid out his position today very clearly didn't he re the absolutely ridiculous mantra 'no deal is better than a bad deal'. How on earth is this going to play out? A chancellor and a PM diametrically opposed. How desperately we are being let down by our so-called leaders, how naked is their own sel-interest being exposed on the Eupropean and World stage. The Tory party in all its glory.

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 18:33:08

What's even worse is that the workers are staying away because the country is seen as racist.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/22/farms-hit-by-labour-shortage-as-migrant-workers-shun-racist-uk

Welshwife Thu 22-Jun-17 18:36:25

I found this article on theNew Statesman site - written by a man who was a negotiator for the UK to the EU so would hopefully know what he is talking about.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/06/former-eu-negotiator-uks-chance-good-brexit-deal-looks-slim

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 18:54:02

Saya what I've thought all along, Welshwife, especially about the no deal better than a bad deal.
Not looking forward to 2019.

whitewave Thu 22-Jun-17 18:58:38

Personally I don't think that this government has a mandate to walk away, and will have to get parliamentary agreement for such a drastic step

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 19:17:27

Another New Statesman article about Brexit and free movement.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/06/free-movement-isnt-free-truth-about-eu-immigration

I can't recall Brexiteers telling us this, but they must have known.

whitewave Thu 22-Jun-17 19:37:36

?You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one?

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 19:49:42

Well said, Tusk. I want that played at my funeral.

He also said "Politics without dreams would be a nightmare."

I agree with that, too, but I don't think there's a song.

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 21:45:31

So sorry this is on skwawkbox. They get all the good stories first.

skwawkbox.org/2017/06/22/breaking-ireland-will-block-brexit-deal-if-maydup-deal-goes-ahead/

whitewave Thu 22-Jun-17 21:49:21

Good

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 22:11:37

Question Time should be interesting tonight. Gina Miller on it.

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 22:12:50

So, whitewave, do we want the DUP to make a deal with the Tories?
What a quandary!

whitewave Thu 22-Jun-17 22:17:29

grin its a toss up? Read somewhere that they wouldnt answer the phone for 36hrs. With friends like those..........No accounting for taste is there?

Welshwife Thu 22-Jun-17 22:17:37

I am really worried about the stability in NI - it would be dreadful if it was undermined when so many people worked hard and compromised - which could not have been easy. It would be awful to risk going back to those awful years for the people living there.

durhamjen Thu 22-Jun-17 22:26:59

Perhaps Ireland should have a referendum on whether they wish to be a united Ireland and stay in the EU.

Welshwife Thu 22-Jun-17 22:36:43

I think that would be fair enough but maybe the fact of a referendum would not go down well in some quarters..

daphnedill Thu 22-Jun-17 23:08:27

Hmmm! Not so sure that's a solution. There are many in Northern Ireland who want to remain in the EU, but don't want to be part of a united Ireland.

durhamjen Fri 23-Jun-17 00:16:07

More questions on the referendum, just like we should have had?

Tegan2 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:14:57

I wonder how many people who voted for brexit actually gave a thought about how it would affect stability in Ireland? Or the inhabitants of Gibraltar? Or EU workers in this country etc etc. Can't help but feel it was very few.

Rigby46 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:23:12

Yes Tegan absolutely right. All of which proves you should never never have referendum. Thank you DC.

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 13:13:42

Well done Maybot for trying, but it appears that the EU is feeling frustrated like us because she has not produced the detail, and they suspect her offer to immigrants which include UK citzens tries to take away some rights from these folk.

Believe it EU! The Tories are not big on people's rights, so stand your ground Brussels!!

Cold Fri 23-Jun-17 13:19:42

TM's offer does for EU citizens does not even match the offer that the EU made for UK citizens living in the EU several weeks ago. British citizens are becoming concerned that the EU may reduce their offer to match
www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/23/eu-expats-condemn-theresa-may-pathetic-offer-on-brexit-rights

You would think that given the fact that the Government has taken a whole year to prepare for these meetings that they would have clearer and more detailed proposals

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 13:27:13

Exactly cold

Blimey I must stop agreeing with you grin but you are making sense

Welshwife Fri 23-Jun-17 16:17:27

Tusk appears to have told May her offer the EU nationals in UK is not good enough and would leave them in a worse position - so if she wants the negotiations to go ahead there will need to be a rethink.

It is perhaps to do with ECJ.

durhamjen Fri 23-Jun-17 16:51:40

I love the way that she is trying to pretend that it was always her intention to let EU citizens stay here, and it's the EU-27 who are being obstructive.

durhamjen Fri 23-Jun-17 16:54:21

politicalscrapbook.net/2017/06/12-cartoons-that-perfectly-sum-up-the-tory-approach-to-brexit-negotiations/