Gransnet forums

News & politics

May blocked granting rights to EU citizens *before* she was PM

(120 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 15:32:39

This is interesting. Why would she do this?
She wasn't PM at the time but I wonder if she had an inkling that Cameron would go and she had a chance of getting the leadership?

It makes a bit of a mockery of the the 'negotiating card' and the 'bad EU wouldn't reciprocate' rationales that people on here have been supporting.

I don't think that at this very early stage anyone from the EU had said that we'd have to wait for the negotiations to start before discussing rights of EU/UK immigrants

Start
Theresa May single-handedly blocked a plan to immediately guarantee the future rights of the 3m EU citizens in the UK last summer, George Osborne has revealed.

The then-Home Secretary was the only member of the Cabinet to oppose David Cameron, who “wanted to reassure EU citizens they would be allowed to stay”, after Brexit.

“All his Cabinet agreed with that unilateral offer, except his Home Secretary, Mrs May, who insisted on blocking it,” revealed the Evening Standard, now edited by Mr Osborne.

The proposal was discussed “in the days immediately after the referendum” exactly one year ago, said the newspaper.
The revelation comes after EU citizens in the UK protested that Ms May’s “generous” offer – outlined last night - will leave them with less rights after Brexit than “British jam”.

End

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizens-rights-uk-referendum-theresa-may-blocked-plans-home-secretary-george-osborne-a7804461.html

MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 20:59:14

Jane10

Why are you, and other Gnetters, so ready to tell other people what to do?

It's really odd behaviour IMO

Elegran Fri 23-Jun-17 21:10:08

Did Jane tell you what to do? I read it as telling you to do what you like but don't expect it to make a difference.

varian Fri 23-Jun-17 21:10:21

As you say, Jane 10, brexit is astupid thing to do, so why on earth should those of us who can see that not do our utmost to prevent the damage to our country?

Ana Fri 23-Jun-17 21:11:58

How is complaining about it on here doing anything?

Elegran Fri 23-Jun-17 21:12:09

Those who voted for it in the first place were telling those who didn't what to do.

Welshwife Fri 23-Jun-17 21:22:15

Sometimes doing something has rewards. Some of the EU residents in UK and Brits in the EU sent letters to the Parliamentary committee for exiting the EU and explained the position many European citizens - including Brits- find themselves in and representatives of the group - (who got together on Facebook) - were invited to the HoC to put their case. Another group have had a couple of meetings in Brussels and Guy Vernofstadt answers mails and actually acts on some of the facts he is given - hence this possibility of individual EU citizenship. The EU have spoken of the 48% all the time and been well dispossd to them and the worries they have.
T May is doing UK no favours by the strange attitude she is taking when she hopes for co-operation from the EU to give the Uk a good deal. The European press cannot understand what is going on in the UK.
Anyone who watched QT last evening would have seen the almost uncontrolled anger shown by the Daily Mail columnist - a most ignorant man.

durhamjen Fri 23-Jun-17 21:24:45

I wondered if he was drunk, Welshwife.

varian Fri 23-Jun-17 21:25:33

We must not stop arguing the case for remaining in the EU. We owe it to future generations not to acquiesce in something so damaging.

I have noticed that some Gnetters have become less keen on brexit, but I've not noticed any who have moved in the opposite direction. The same applies to people we talk to in RL. Some who voted remain do think that brexit cannot be avoided but that is not the same as agreeing with it.

Perhaps the wider realisation of the likely damage is one factor in making the angry brexiters more angry, the less sure they are of their justification for wanting to leave, the more they refuse to recognise the problems and yhe angrier they get.

durhamjen Fri 23-Jun-17 21:27:34

Particularly when he was saying the DM was a most accurate and fair newspaper.

varian Fri 23-Jun-17 21:30:40

It raised a laugh and that seemed to make him angrier.

Rigby46 Fri 23-Jun-17 21:31:50

Elegran what a very Humpty Dumpty way to read Jane's post.

Jane10 Fri 23-Jun-17 22:16:10

Elegran read my post exactly as I intended it.

Rigby46 Fri 23-Jun-17 22:17:31

Of course she did -bless.

Rigby46 Fri 23-Jun-17 22:18:14

You were Humpty Dumoty-ing as well

durhamjen Fri 23-Jun-17 22:33:38

I don't understand, Maizie, how one person could block something like that. I know in the EU every country has a veto, but I didn't realise that rule was used in the government. It doesn't sound very democratic to me.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 22:40:57

Nelson and Katwala seemed to think that May's opinion was given more weight because she was Home Secretary at the time. On the strength of that, presumably that position carries more weight than most other cabinet positions.

MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 22:59:22

I wondered that, too. But perhaps they'd decided that it needed a unanimous decision.

Whatever it was, it gives the lie to claims that the EU not being willing to reciprocate was stopping us giving unconditional assurances to EU citizens.

Ref Jane10

I read it as telling you to do what you like says Elegran.

Those words 'telling you' rather give the game away, I think.

Eloethan Fri 23-Jun-17 23:37:21

Saying, as whitewave and maizie have, - there is a growing crisis in healthcare staff levels due to a massive drop in recruitment of healthcare professionals from the EU, farmers are reporting difficulties in recruiting agricultural workers for fruit picking, etc., no-one seems to have any idea how our representatives are going to negotiate an exit from the EU whilst at the same time making overtures to and entering into lengthy and complicated discussions with other large economies - is not opinion it is fact.

So just saying, as ninny did, "I don't agree with your opinion" is a statement based on nothing. What counter-argument do you have to address these fairly major issues? You may well not care about guaranteeing the position of EU workers here but if no assurances had been given to them, there may have been an influx of disgruntled elderly pensioners returning to the UK, requiring housing, health care and pension credits.

Added to all these issues, May does not command a great deal of confidence or respect here or in the EU - and no one really seems to know what is going on. It doesn't look too impressive at the moment - and the EU negotiators have said as much.

FarNorth Fri 23-Jun-17 23:45:42

I don't think that Theresa May was ever a Remainer. I think she just pretended to be one because she thought that was going to be the winning side.

POGS Sat 24-Jun-17 09:54:43

It is often said or implied that that Theresa May is callous, vacuous in her wanting ' Reciprocal Rights ' for the EU Nationals in the UK and obviously likewise the UK Nationals living in the EU.

Theresa May also wants the UK once it has left the EU to reinstate the UK Courts to have total control of our Sovereign Nation and not the Eurooean Courts as obviously we will not be member of the EU.

Can anybody define why the EU side do not find this agreeable?

As far as I can see it by not making an agreement ASAP they are in fact saying we still want control as if you are still a member.

The latter point is where the issue is evident and not accepted over the Single Market also. How the UK can stay in the Single Market if it does not abide by the 4 Pillars / Freedoms of the Free Movement of Goods, Services,People and Capital has never been explained to me yet. The EU state it is ' none negotiable ', ' no cherry picking '.

Negotiations are 2 sided but I don't see that there is much in the way of common sense coming from the EU either.

durhamjen Sat 24-Jun-17 11:48:06

I don't think anyone has ever said that she is callous in wanting reciprocal rights.
What I don't understand is why UK citizens in the EU are not seen as EU nationals, which is what they are until we leave.
Why does May not agree with the other EU-27 countries?
Why does she want things to be different for UK citizens?

Mamie Sat 24-Jun-17 12:03:04

What I didn't understand was why she said she hoped the EU would match her offer when their far superior offer was published for all to see a couple of months ago.
I am hugely pleased and relieved by what the EU wants to offer us UK citizens in the EU. We do need Theresa May to reassure us about our health cover and pension increases but she hasn't seen fit to do that yet.

whitewave Sat 24-Jun-17 12:12:36

Don't worry mamie be patient she'll give in.

Welshwife Sat 24-Jun-17 12:15:53

I suppose EU feels that its citizens need a court they can go to for any dispute it may have with the U.K. Govt.

The Human rights Court is not an EU court but a European one so they might be in play too.

If the UK wants to trade with The EU it will need to abide by the rules and regulations for manufacturing and keeping/packaging etc so will not be able to ditch those. Much of the 'red tape' Boris and Mike talk of getting rid of would mean no trade with Europe.

What we need to watch is that things are not ditched for the sake of it or things which will impinge on working people by making their rights a lot less.

durhamjen Sat 24-Jun-17 15:14:51

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/23/eu-expats-condemn-theresa-may-pathetic-offer-on-brexit-rights