Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why difference in views between young and old ?

(59 Posts)
James2451 Sun 25-Jun-17 11:43:56

Young people told the Nation that they did not want a Tory Party elected that would continue with protecting the 10% of top earners , yet would still continue with more cruel cuts hitting the poor, vulnerable and disabled. Young people do not want a hard Brexit, no more Grammar Schools, no Fox Hunting, they want more Social Housing, free University places, no cuts on benefits and pensions. Etc, etc, etc.

Presumably, those who voted Conservative agree with the Tories policies of austerity and protecting the rich whilst poverty grows.
Is that a factual statement? What policies did they really expect and vote for in electing a Tory Government?

devongirl Mon 26-Jun-17 16:38:00

I must be wrong from the posts on here, but lucky and others, I seem to remember the Labour manifesto promises were costed?

Anya Mon 26-Jun-17 16:42:57

Indeed they were devongirl

I'm finding some of these attitudes to young people very patronising too.

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 17:01:07

By young people, we are including many of our nurses, teachers, police officers, firefighters, members of the armed services, mothers and fathers, decent hard working citizens. Perhaps we should stop them doing all this as they are clearly far to immature to be trusted.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 17:57:01

Young people, as long as they're 18 when we have a GE are as entitled to the vote and their views just like anybody else.
However, a lot of them view politics as boring so don't bother to vote, will they in future, who knows? So that means the older voter will invariably be left to do the actual voting.
Corbyn is a rebel ( the young like that) not an angry young man but an angry old man, but that still appeals to some.He is also promising a brave new world ( that may well never come about) and that may sway them as well.
We have all been young, and I daresay naive about life, we can't expect today's young people to be any different, but we can see manipulation of the younger voter by the old ( Corbyn and McDonnell).

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 18:07:04

I think the young have learned the lesson of leaving the old to vote. Look what happened- their future has been taken away

Ana Mon 26-Jun-17 18:08:26

Snort...

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 18:11:50

Their future has not been taken away! Sheesh.

nigglynellie Mon 26-Jun-17 19:39:46

Well my grandchildren certainly don't think their future has been taken from them. Elder granddaughter (17) is planning a career in the Police Force,the next down has nursing in her sights, grandson? but he is only 9! All three are hard working and optimistic!