Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn and the Monarchy and Armed Forces.

(292 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 25-Jun-17 13:29:00

Corbyn has made it quite clear, what he and his close followers feel about our Queen and Armed Forces, do can those that support him eventually want a country with a President and no Armed Forces? This is how it looks. Why hadn't he the guts to just come out with it?

whitewave Sun 25-Jun-17 16:17:04

ruth you aren't making sense

Ruth1958 Sun 25-Jun-17 16:18:07

You are free to watch telly tubbies

Ruth1958 Sun 25-Jun-17 16:18:40

I'm sorry you are not able to keep up

Anniebach Sun 25-Jun-17 16:24:46

Whitewave, a good way to get voters on your side, I am not fully committed to this campaign

Ruth1958 Sun 25-Jun-17 16:25:45

Clash of civilisations is very, very difficult ....who can truly prevent the type of murder we have seen in the last month. Blair is very quiet!

Ruth1958 Sun 25-Jun-17 16:26:18

Nor me!

mcem Sun 25-Jun-17 16:34:10

Well ruth it's interesting to see you label virtually everyone who works in the public sector as red red red.

So should we simply get rid of them all?
Good to know that those of us who spent our lives in medicine,education and social work are appreciated. What about other public sector workers you didn't mention like firefighters and police officers?

Oh and, by the way, how do you think you'd cope without them all.

Was your lifetime contribution to society far more valuable than any of those you so roundly criticize?

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 17:01:01

Has Santa Claus become a public sector worker?

norose4 Sun 25-Jun-17 21:09:52

He & his campaign remind me of the Billy Graham days false promises , mass histerior & fawning adulation , definitely not to be trusted !

rosesarered Sun 25-Jun-17 21:18:34

He certainly has been around on the back benches for a long time ( there is a good reason he was never in the Cabinet!) Through a stupid mistake of including him on the ballot papers which Labour MP's themselves say was 'moronic' and thrusting him forward to be voted for all those £3 Labour members, now Labour is stuck with him.

rosesarered Sun 25-Jun-17 21:22:01

...and to answer the OP, yes, he won't sing our National Anthem, great hey?A possible Prime Minister who won't sing the words of his own country's National anthem.Mind you, as we have seen, his principles do change and get watered down, so he will think it worth singing if he can be made PM.You can bet on it.

Anniebach Sun 25-Jun-17 22:11:41

So true norose, very much like The Billy Graham rallies, mass hysteria and adoration to a man who was more concerned with self than the cause he alleged he was reoresenting, in fact more than very much like

I do think the leader of the official oposition party should have shown respect for the Armed Forces not trotted of to promote himself at a pop concert.

GillT57 Sun 25-Jun-17 22:17:18

Ruth 1958 you are spewing out a lot of nasty, ill informed nonsense. I do not think that Corbyn is the answer to the problems we are facing due to the Tory party's inability to sort out it's infighting..... but yet again, the right wing press is churning out the same old rubbish about him.

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 22:18:53

Anniebach Your local Conservative party would love you.

paddyann Sun 25-Jun-17 22:19:55

can someone tell me when Armed Forces day started,It wasn't around when I was young I'm sure.Is it to counteract the damage done to the reputation of British forces by the illegal wars the government has involved them in in recent years?Seems to me it's like those parades of troops and
machinery in NK or the old Soviet Union ....and WE never thought those were a good idea ....did we?

Anniebach Sun 25-Jun-17 22:22:11

So you vast knowledge stretches to a Tory LP in Wales Daphne? I am in awe

GillT57 Sun 25-Jun-17 22:23:33

Agreed paddyann. Most of us support our armed forces, but this parade and special day is a bit like something out of the old Soviet Union or North Korea. I do not mean any disrespect to anyone with family in the armed forces when I say this, it just strikes me as being a bit Daily mail type thing in its purpose. Of course we support our armed forces, the same as we support the Fire service, the NHS and the Police.

Anniebach Sun 25-Jun-17 22:26:08

It was originally Veterans Day,

Anniebach Sun 25-Jun-17 22:30:49

Australia and New Zealand also have a day to pay tribute to the armed forces

trisher Sun 25-Jun-17 22:32:10

I don't care if the monarchy goes. I can't see it making much difference to my life or my family's life.
As far as the National Anthem goes when Emmeline Pankhurst was imprisoned suffragettes stood up during church services and sang "God save Emmeline Pankhurst"to the tune of the National Anthem! So JC not joining in is nothing.
I think we should have a Public Service day when we honour all those who work in the public sector

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 22:32:32

I didn't know anything about it until a couple of days ago. Apparently, it was only introduced in 2006(?). I agree with GillT57.

MaizieD Sun 25-Jun-17 22:35:44

I really don't see what Corbyn not singing the National Anthem has to do with anything. He's a republican. So are a great many UK nationals. There are even a few on Gnet, I've noticed. It's not actually illegal to be a republican. It is perfectly possible to be a republican and wish to work towards the abolition of the monarchy within the framework of our constitution (remember, Parliament is sovereign and can make any law it likes so long as it has the support of the House).

What is more, if Prince Harry is correct none of the 'Royals' are particularly keen to take on the job, anyway (though I suspect he's not speaking for his dad) so perhaps they're quite relieved at the possibility of a republican in government...

And republicans don't particularly want God to save our queen to rule over us.. it's a bit hypocritical to sing the National Anthem if you feel like that..

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 22:35:49

Good for Australia and New Zealand! That's up to them. They also celebrate Anzac Day, which I've never understood, because Gallipoli was disaster. Whatever floats their boat! How about celebrating Agincourt Day?

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 22:38:40

Maizie

Anniebach is one of the most disrespectful people on GN about the Queen. I don't think she understands the irony. It gives her an opportunity to criticise Corbyn, so what the hell!

Anniebach Sun 25-Jun-17 22:54:12

I respect queenie, I respect people with dignity, I am against the cost to the country for her extended family and costs of their security . So less of the porkies please Daphne, surely you can enjoy digging at me with the truth?