Gransnet forums

News & politics

DUP negotiations

(247 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 26-Jun-17 10:01:39

I can't find the thread on this - probably a zombie one by now, they've been going on so long!

It's all gone very quiet - maybe the DUP have again stopped taking phone calls from their 'confidence & supply' partners.

Anyone heard anything?

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:36:44

Oh for an edit button - quesy

TriciaF Mon 26-Jun-17 16:38:33

They've finally sold their soul to the devil - for £2bn.
A disgrace, as you say whitewave.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 16:42:08

Well, first of all, the money does not go to the DUP it goes to the people of NI in the form of infrastructure etc. Secondly, a bit early to feel queasy about anything that the Tories and DUP are actually doing, as they haven't made any policies that need backing.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 16:44:23

The Devil TriciaF....... a bit strong.

mostlyharmless Mon 26-Jun-17 16:49:25

It feels like corruption to me - blatantly buying support from a few MPs just to prop up a government that didn't win a majority. If TM can't govern without bribing MPs with money that belongs to the whole of the UK, she shouldn't be governing at all. The Good Friday agreement is in danger which means she is risking the UK's peace and security. Is it even legal? Surely this can't happen?

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:50:12

No not a bit strong at all - the truth. WTF should all that money go to NI in preference to the whole of the UK ? Oh wait, it keeps TM in power and will encourage support for the DUP in NI. Just giving them the money is a policy BTW

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 16:54:00

Yes, it is legal.

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:54:43

I find it beyond astonishing that anyone with a pulse could even begin to think it was OK to allocate OUR taxes on the basis not of need but to buy votes.

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:55:49

Of course it's legal - and immoral, unethical, undemocratic, corrupt and shaming for our country.

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 16:56:29

Is it legal? Well I suppose they say it is and we will all shut up☹️

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 17:15:50

Going well isn't it? Listening to the news.

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 17:19:46

Me too PM? This whole thing is going to cause real problems - she really really would have been better going for a minority government - another massive judgement fail. I would now place a bet on her going by conference season

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 17:26:11

How do you know it's legal, roses? Do you have inside information?

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 17:27:14

Yes. PM

But who on earth to replace her?

Hammond I suppose there isn't anyone else who could be taken seriously

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 17:53:48

Just doing some reading.

Apparently the DUP has close links to Britain First. Isn't that what Mair shouted as he stabbed Mrs Cox?

They also have links to white supremacists in America.

They also channel money throught yo the British mainland got political use, by using their NI exemption.

TriciaF Mon 26-Jun-17 17:55:01

As far as I know "sell your soul to the devil" is to abandon your idealistic principles for the sake of the greed for power and pleasure. From the Faust legend.

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 18:02:16

The DUP have close ties to terrorists.

paddyann Mon 26-Jun-17 18:03:17

the Orange Order marches with banners proclaiming alliance to the KKK the DUP support the OO ...says it all really .I'm disgusted at this ,these people are dinosaurs,in any case they cant vote on England only matters so where does that leave her ?

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 18:04:50

used to....perhaps.
Still, Corbyn has had close ties to terrorists in the past.

aggie Mon 26-Jun-17 18:06:24

and the "inquiry " into the boilers debacle rolls on

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 18:15:38

How do you know it's legal, roses?
Roses Law, again?

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 18:16:02

Oh well rose but remember it won't be quite so much fun trying to make that argument about Corbyn as May has actually paid tax payers money to ally herself to terrorist supporters, who also have links to the KKK, are creationists, do not believe in a woman's right to choose.

And paid a total of £2.5bn whilst she is prepared to see people sleeping on the floor.

What a nasty party they are

Nandalot Mon 26-Jun-17 18:21:28

There's no defence for the indefensible.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 18:25:24

Not fun ww just the truth.

Oh go and look it up durham I can't do all the work for you.

We need a government and we need it fast.

Luckygirl Mon 26-Jun-17 18:31:37

We do not need a government at any price - neither financially nor morally. We need democracy.

In any other walk of life this would be seen as bribery - and could be an indictable offence. But when government do it, it is apparently just fine.

Well it is not fine by me.