Gransnet forums

News & politics

How much will a flight cost after Brexit?

(331 Posts)
trisher Fri 14-Jul-17 13:51:03

With Ryan Air stating that it may not fly to the EU from Britain after Brexit and easyjet setting up an operation in Austria are we looking towards a time when there will be no cheap flights to EU countries?

suzied Sat 15-Jul-17 05:30:23

This "no one knows what will happen" fatalism is so annoying. What the hell were Brexiters voting for then if they didn't know???

Anya Sat 15-Jul-17 05:45:48

Not flying over European airspace. Bollocks!

Luckylegs9 Sat 15-Jul-17 05:56:04

I don't listen to any of it. It is all speculation and Chinese Whispers. It will be what will be. Have faith that it will be alright in the end, it's all we can do.. All the constant obstacles put in the way of any negotiations helps no one, wish everyone would put the countries interests before their own ego's. It must be worrying to those with families abroad if they think the air fares will rise, but I doubt it would happen, there would be empty flights which helps no one

MaizieD Sat 15-Jul-17 09:05:12

It won't be a case of 'empty flights' Luckylegs; it's NO flights.

Are you not actually comprehending what is being said?

trisher Sat 15-Jul-17 09:22:36

Do people not realise that what is happening is that all the agreements we had with other EU countries are now no longer operating and therefore in order to fly we have to negotiate new ones. If these aren't in place when the flights usually go on offer (up to about 9 months before the flight date) then that flight can't be offered. It isn't "Chinese whispers" it isn't "scaremongering" it is fact. There may be an agreement but looking at the government's record on negotiating I wouldn't hold my breath.
I think it's quite funny in a way- all those Keep Britain British folks who won't be able to do their stag and hen party trips.

rosesarered Sat 15-Jul-17 09:40:56

'There may be an agreement' ......... too right, there will be an agreement.grin
Why do people get themselves so worked up about things before they never
Ever happen?

trisher Sat 15-Jul-17 09:44:23

Perhaps some of us have friends/family in the Eu and perhaps some of us like to travel. Perhaps some of us plan things in advance.

grandMattie Sat 15-Jul-17 09:50:41

Thank you Day6
There is so much speculation and scaremongering that it is almost funny. I keep on wondering what "they" will think up next to stop the Brexit talks and moves.
What appalls me is the vindictiveness and spite that the EU is showing towards Britain...
Perhaps if people were nicer and kinder to each other, solutions to everything would be easily found - whether is it paying the EU to leave, the 200 mile fishing zone or flights and airspace use through Europe.

Chewbacca Sat 15-Jul-17 09:51:27

I thought that darnsarf summed it up perfectly in their post 17.21 yesterday.
Maizie , why is you posting style so combative? Luckylegs has as much right to her opinion as anyone else without having her comprehension skills questioned you know. It's just rude.

MaizieD Sat 15-Jul-17 09:51:38

".there will be agreement"
Oh thank heaven we have Mystic Rose to put all our minds at rest...

petra Sat 15-Jul-17 09:53:39

trisha
On Friday at 17.20 you stated And why have easyJet moved to Austria
In your eyes I'm clearly reading something that you didn't say.
Must go to SpecSavers. Or maybe someone could confirm that I'm right or wrong.

rosesarered Sat 15-Jul-17 09:58:19

Maizie....... I thang Kew! grin however nobody needs a crystal ball to know that the planes will keep flying.

MaizieD Sat 15-Jul-17 09:58:28

Really, Chewie, when you've been following a thread and someone makes a comment which shows that they haven't actually taken in a word of what has already been written it's just a tad irritating.

Chewbacca Sat 15-Jul-17 10:01:22

Possibly so Maizie but there is really no need to be rude in your responses. And your response to roses proved ,you point. There really is no need for it.

trisher Sat 15-Jul-17 10:02:19

petra if you choose only to read one post and not the OP that's up to you, can't say if you need glasses or not, perhaps you just need to recognise a qualifying statement after an OP.
Why shouldn't the EU be vindictive grandMattie ? If you kick sand in someone's face they will quite probably thump you.
Isn't it funny how Brexiters are now going "Oh it won't happen" despite warnings from experts. Can it be that they don't want to accept responsibility for the absolute s--t they have dropped us in?

Smithy Sat 15-Jul-17 10:03:14

Regardless of who did or didn't say what, didn't all the people who voted leave not realise it would take time to negotiate a whole raft of changes. Majority didn't know what they were voting for, but nor did the mps.
Well some (not me) called leavers little Englanders so it could be too late to be ''careful what you wish for''

Welshwife Sat 15-Jul-17 10:21:36

The EU negotiators are being very polite in what they say - it is people such as Boris who are being incredibly rude and doing their best to aggregate the EU! The EU are only sticking to and pointing out the rules - many of which Britain actually wrote when they were in the position of believing that their fellow countrymen would never be so stupid as to want to leave!

The position of the U.K. gets worse daily and whether or not we eventually leave or stay it will take a long long time to repair things and we may take a generation to overcome the bad feeling that is being generated with the populations of other countries. Many countries still have feelings against the Germans and Italians because of the wars and do not always treat those nationals as well as others when they visit the counties - I think it is quite possible that Brits will suffer that for some time the way that Britain is making EU citizens, who live in UK, feel since the Vote. - Just read some of their posts on places like Facebook etc.

Welshwife Sat 15-Jul-17 10:23:04

Aggregate!!! - annoy. - serves me right for not previewing it!

grandMattie Sat 15-Jul-17 10:29:06

trisha - I am as entitled to my opinion as you are.
it is very tiresome to endelss be embattled because one's opinion doesn't match other people's.
i did vote out -- so there!

rosesarered Sat 15-Jul-17 10:29:40

This whole thread is too silly for words.....empty skies, no planes, no holidays!!!

maddy629 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:30:56

Scaremongering, the BBC do it all the time.Day6 I couldn't agree more.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:33:35

If we can't fly over their air space, then they can't fly over ours either. It makes sense for both sides to be reciprocal in agreeing to making deals for mutual benefit.

chrissie13 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:42:40

I remember pointing out an article regarding the various travel problems that could occur if we left Europe when everyone was deciding on their Brexit vote, that there was a lot that could adversely affect those who liked or needed to travel a lot.

The cost of flights has already risen, and will probably rise more, we could lose the EHIC card if the government don't take it over, and the EU flight compensation agreement will be a huge loss if the government don't take that over also. My son had a delayed flight on a connection to South Korea, and because his flight had originated in the EU, the airline (Alitalia) took him to a posh hotel overnight, brough him back for the next flight, and he had compensation which was more than the price of his flight. I'm afraid we will lose all that now.

Day6 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:46:39

Tegan.'We can influence very little. We owe it to ourselves not to fret about things out of our control'
..hang on a minute; wasn't brexit all about 'taking back control'?

Yes, it is.

However, stating the pretty damned obvious Tegaan, we have to allow our politicians to shape that process, in negotiation with EU bureaucrats who'll obviously be fighting to make the transition as difficult and expensive for us as possible.

And there will be the scaremongering that this, that and the other WILL be what we face in the future. Soothsayers all. grin but for a reason.

I get the feeling those people who are spreading the doom and gloom about a future they cannot see, a future they presume will happen as they peep through their blinkered and pessimistically tinted glasses are almost willing the UK to be a poorer place after Brexit. Instead of uniting for the best deal and for a better UK they want division and fear because they are still angry the referendum went against them.

It's happening. You know what? it could be that flights are cheaper. It could be that three years down the line we have airlines offering decent fares and new routes into Europe opening up. Who is to say that is not a possible scenario?

I am not privy to the negotiations, nor are you. We never were going to be, so the "I thought we were taking back control" is a red herring.

When negotiations are done, we will have taken back control, even if EU politicians try to sabotage our exit process with threats and scaremongering. I don't want to be part of a Union resorting to those tactics. The UK government is working for the best deal we can get as we extricate ourselves from the EU.

I am prepared to see what unfolds. I don't think any of us has any other choice. That won't stop the doom and gloom merchants however.

I just feel there could be a new scare every two minutes in the present climate, fuelled by those who want to remain in the EU.

I am following what's happening but cannot invest the emotional energy some do in trying to second guess the future. A futile exercise.

trisher Sat 15-Jul-17 10:48:19

GrannyAnnie2010 Not 100% sure that will be really important. Who flies over our air space? apart from planes coming here of course