Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should Tony Blair comment on Brexit?

(93 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 16-Jul-17 08:56:21

I happen to agree with Tony Blair on Brexit but the leaders of the main parties seem to regard him as an irritation. Whilst TB made a gross error of judgement on Iraq his views on Europe appear to be better thought out. However, there is a danger that comments from former statespersons just muddy the already murky waters.

Jeremy Corbyn's response just harked back to respecting the referendum result with blind acceptance whatever the consequences. I just hope that sooner or later someone gets through to the automatons that steer the rudderless ship of state.

52% did vote LEAVE but that vote was influenced by lies, prejudice and a dose of apathy. Since then dust has partially settled the "will of the People" is now probably quite different and that should at least be considered.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 14:05:47

I marched in London and Cardiff against Iraq war but it doesn't change my opinion on Blair , he and Brown brought the party out if the wilderness years , won three elections and I never considered him to be to the right. He will be for the far left , who took the party into the wilderness years.

Chewbacca Sun 16-Jul-17 14:15:03

If TB's "informal chats" with the EU have as much success as he did in his role as Middle East Peace Envoy, he'll be pretty ineffective anyway.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 16-Jul-17 15:01:28

Should Tony Blair comment on Brexit? Well he certainly may if he chooses to and whether he should or not only he can decide. Do I care if you believe he should or should not - not a jot. All I have to decide is whether to listen to him - which, from some of the comments I have read on this thread, is more than some posters did before giving an opinion or rather voicing a prejudice.

I found the interview thoughtful, interesting and he seemed to understand the situation rather more than most of the current politicians. I have no idea what he can do about our current trajectory into oblivion and I didn't get the impression that he did but he did seem to feel he couldn't do nothing which I would applaud.

durhamjen Sun 16-Jul-17 15:12:52

I found it a very difficult article to read, GracesGran, possibly because of my antipathy to Blair.
Does that make me as bad as Blair towards Corbyn?

GracesGranMK2 Sun 16-Jul-17 15:36:39

I meant the interview on Sophy Ridge on Sunday today Jen. He certainly didn't make personal comments about Corbyn but thought he was not supplying the right solution to the current problem.

The SRoS interviews do seem to be released but this has not been yet. If you have access to Sky News it is being repeated at 9.30 p.m.

I was interested to hear (only a little) his view on how the Germans are dealing with globalisation and AI. Would like to have heard more of that.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 15:38:03

Or Corbyn against anyone not fir left ?

GracesGranMK2 Sun 16-Jul-17 15:47:29

Sorry AB, I don't understand the question if it is intended for me.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 15:53:17

No GG

durhamjen Sun 16-Jul-17 16:05:54

Blair's article, GracesGran, from Blair's Institute for Global Change.

institute.global/news/brexit-and-centre

durhamjen Sun 16-Jul-17 16:23:14

For someone who doesn't want to start a new party but stay in the labour party, it seems strange that lots of his institute is about Renewing the Centre.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 16:27:19

Why not renew the centre ?

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 17:54:41

Blair has every right to comment about Brexit, even if he shouts it from the top of the roof, he has every right to do so in our liberal democracy, and as long as I have breath I will fight for anyone to do the same, unless they are inciting hatred, violence or racism.

I may not agree with a lot of what I consider idiots and what they say, but they have every right to irritate me to death. Just as people do on GNgrin

rosesarered Sun 16-Jul-17 18:05:36

I feel the same as you ww grin however much they may annoy.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:31:30

I think preparations are being made for a new centre party Jen. However, this is not an auspicious time. Much as they may not want to admit it the left of centre need the current Labour Party to balance out the current Tory Party which has been dragged so far to the right. There is no good seeing the Cons as a possible right of centre party (which they have been at times in our history) when they are driven by a hard right minority.

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 18:33:54

I know there has been lots of moves from the Greens of a broad left coalition, I suppose this is different

GracesGranMK2 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:37:31

PR whitewave, that would mean we could have as many parties as we want and then they could broadly coalesce to their hearts content.

durhamjen Sun 16-Jul-17 18:40:35

But Blair says he wants to stay in the Labour Party despite doing research about renewing the centre.
It doesn't work like that.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 16-Jul-17 19:02:03

I know Jen - everyone want to claim Labour's history but someone is going to have to be pragmatic in the end. Or perhaps the decide no one uses it in the future smile

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 20:40:01

It worked in 1997 Jen

Baggs Sun 16-Jul-17 20:53:58

Sure did, annie!

GracesGranMK2 Mon 17-Jul-17 08:35:52

The bag of cats fight is on. Newspaper reports today saying that the Brexit faction is holding the administration to ransom and others that the Philip Hammond is undermining 'Brexit'. What a view to give the rest of the world.

Brexit Bulldog is looking as if he needs sleep - I expect he does. Barnier is looking in control and fresh as a daisy.

nightowl Mon 17-Jul-17 08:52:30

Twenty years ago Anniebach and a lot of water under the bridge since then. I'm afraid Tony Blair is so discredited in the opinions of a large majority of people of all political persuasions that I don't think his opinions on anything are much valued or very helpful to the party he wishes to remain a part of. He has only his own actions to blame for that.

Anniebach Mon 17-Jul-17 09:00:35

Corbyn is still in the seventies so he is further back than twenty years ago

varian Mon 17-Jul-17 09:03:49

There is no need for a new centre party. The Liberal Democrats want a UK which is open, tolerant, compassionate and fair and are the most strongly supportive of remaining in a reformed EU.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 17-Jul-17 09:45:22

Corbyn is still in the seventies so he is further back than twenty years ago

So what! New Labour stole the LP from those with views further to the left now those with views further to the left are stealing it back. What, in the scheme of things does any of this matter except to the obsessed. Move on, create something new; no one owns the past. New parties and ways of thinking would be the only thing that could justify the mess we are in at the moment with both the major parties.