Gransnet forums

News & politics

Newcastle sex grooming

(128 Posts)
gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 10:20:07

So yet another 17 Asian men have been found guilty of sex grooming, rape and human trafficking of vulnerable women and young girls.

This has got to stop. It is clear that the social services, police and others are letting these young women and girls down, big style. Have they been brushing it under the carpet for fear of racial reprisals ?

Why are some news reports still reluctant to say that the perpetrators of these crimes are almost all ASIAN MEN ?

I am so angry.

Anniebach Thu 10-Aug-17 10:24:12

Bu if British born are they Asian Gilly? This cold be why some reports do not refer to Asian men?

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 10:27:43

I get what you are saying Anniebach and to be politically correct I should have said British Asian men.

rascal Thu 10-Aug-17 10:32:18

My Great Grandfather was Scottish but was born in India he didn't see himself as Indian nor did his family. So perhaps time has changed? hmm

TerriBull Thu 10-Aug-17 10:34:21

I believe at least two of the groomers in the recent Rotheram case were Pakistani nationals and now have lawyers fighting their extradition.

The worrying aspect, as reported on the news, this type of grooming is ongoing and according to one woman involved in the Newcastle case, is in our country almost everywhere.

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 10:37:31

This is exactly the problem as I see it.

The men are of Asian decent. Due to reasons of political correctness no-one seems to want to face it.

No wonder young women and girls are repeatedly let down by the police and other authorities.

Perhaps everyone should look at the photos of the evil bastards that committed these crimes. What do you see?
I see a common denominator, they are all men of Asian decent.

TerriBull Thu 10-Aug-17 10:40:07

I meant to add, it came across in the news that the Northumbria police appeared to do everything they absolutely could to bring this latest case to trial and thank God because the way these grooming scandals have previously been brushed under the carpet has been an absolute travesty. Let us not forget those young girls are daughters, granddaughters, how would we feel if they were our loved ones being used and abused sad

whitewave Thu 10-Aug-17 10:43:33

Apparently according to a couple of spokespeople on R4 this morning, workers at face level and higher management understand the issues but it is middle management who seem to be mis understanding or frightened to face the issues head on.

It is a question of education I think.

Although the Chief Constable did say that in his experience people from all backgrounds/nationalities were found guilty of these crimes, and he couldn't agree that they were entirely from one culture or nationality.

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 10:44:40

Of course it's going on everywhere Terribull . I can't imagine how many reports were made to social services, the police etc. before anyone actually took it seriously enough to do something.

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 10:46:36

Yes I heard that on radio 4 too Whitewave apparently people were threatened with their jobs if they continued to "rock the boat". This is what annoys me the most. Those in the position to do something, did nothing for the fear of being seen as racist or not politically correct.

goldengirl Thu 10-Aug-17 11:05:45

It gives the 'normal' Asian men a bad name. The Muslim religion is also so often seen in a bad light because of ghastly actions. It all adds to gillybob's comment that people are frightened to act in case it's seen as racist or not politically correct. We have to get over this - and if enough people did life could be improved.

dbDB77 Thu 10-Aug-17 11:17:29

I heard Sarah Champion, the Rotherham MP on radio 4 this morning - she said staff had been disciplined and sent on "race relations" courses after reporting that the rapists were Asian men.
I'd recommend anyone to read Professor Jay's report into the street grooming in Rotherham that identified 1400 victims. Although it is a harrowing report.
This issue was first published in the Times by an investigative reporter about 10 years ago - why has it taken so long for people to wake up to it? Were they too afraid of being called racist to protect these girls?

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 11:20:29

"Were they too afraid of being called racist to protect these girls?"

Yes of course they were dbDB77

I heard that interview too. Shocking.

TerriBull Thu 10-Aug-17 11:35:41

From today's Independent "People care more about being called racist than preventing child abuse" Sarah Chamption, MP for Rotherham. Asked whether she herself would be attacked for her comments Ms Champion responsded "Absolutely. The far right will attack me for not doing enough and the floppy left will have a go at me for being a racist" There have been many heated discussions on GN on the subject of political correctness and there are those who will deny that such a state exists. In my opinion the girls that were denied a voice were the victims of political correctness.

17 of the 18 accused in this latest case were Asian men along with one very odd looking white woman. There were all the usual hallmarks, those accused, believing that white women (or girls I'd say given their ages) are trash only good for one thing.

Unfortunately these cases are all too frequent, and I'm sure this won't be the last. What I really want to hear is what measures are being taken to stop these abuses happening.

TriciaF Thu 10-Aug-17 11:42:56

This is so horrible,*gillybob*.
What is our country coming to?
We've just had very religious friends from your area to stay, and she told me she was called to jury service and selected for an horrific sexual case. Eventually she was able to resign from the jury on religious grounds.
Perhaps a pity she hadn't stayed and expressed her strong views.

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 11:45:50

Is it the British Asian culture that make these "men" (I use the term lightly as they cannot be real men) believe that white women are "fair game". Have their parents failed to teach them right from wrong? Are they so desperate for sex and can't get it within the confines of their religion/culture that they see it as their right to rape and attack vulnerable young girls, who in their minds are nothing more than "white trash"?

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 11:50:29

"Perhaps a pity she hadn't stayed and expressed her strong views".

Yes it is a pity TriciaF. We need more people who are willing to stand up and tell it like it is instead of beating around the bush in a bid to stay politically correct.

I honestly don't know what this country is coming to. I thought lessons had been learned but clearly not. How many other similar cases will we see before this is tackled head on? On another thread we talk about far right activity in Newcastle. Are we not inadvertently helping to fuel their fury/cause by not putting a stop to this?

Anniebach Thu 10-Aug-17 11:51:14

But surely to be Asian one cannot be born in the U.K. A woman on the news just spoke of Pakistani British .

Were the seventeen men not British born ? I am not being politically correct . It really is difficult isn't it?

whitewave Thu 10-Aug-17 11:59:33

The authorities know what is being carried out but not why. So it is difficult to comment with any formed opinion until this information is in the public arena.

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 12:00:39

....and it's because of this these crimes are allowed to go on for so long unchallenged. Words such as men of Asian decent or of Pakistani origin or whatever need to be said or how will we ever move on?

If there were several gangs of ginger haired pale skinned Scottish or Welsh, Irish, German whatever, men going around raping and sexually abusing vulnerable girls of Asian decent can you imagine the uproar from the Asian community?

whitewave Thu 10-Aug-17 12:04:50

Yes, but in order to stop it those in authority need to know why it is happening. My guess is that it is cultural, but it is only a guess and I haven't read any studies relating to this atrocious phenomenon.

TriciaF Thu 10-Aug-17 12:05:40

Whatever they are, Pakistani or British, he muslim religion has always emphasised the subservience of women. whether in their own countries or abroad.
A few muslim countires are more liberal, but men are still dominant.
So why do they come to the UK?
There has been a muslim area in the west end of Newcastle for a long time.

paddyann Thu 10-Aug-17 12:06:05

I suppose of Asian descent* Anniebach* people born here with asian parents or grandparents...but if you call them asian shouldn't you call all the other folk in the country by THEIR parents country of birth..in that case I'm Irish as 3 of my GP were born in Ireland .If we insist on giving peoples ethnic heritage as a description we should do it for everyone...I believe it does cause problems for all the good ,hardworking ,family orientated "asian" or "moslem" families that are in fact the nrom

whitewave Thu 10-Aug-17 12:07:10

The Chief Constable argued -don't forget trish that it isn't just those of Asian origin committing these crimes.

Welshwife Thu 10-Aug-17 12:07:26

There is also the point that in some at least of the cultures these men come from it is seen as normal for a man to 'marry' a young girl - or even on we would class as a child going on their age. I read a report recently where an eight year old was married to a much older man - in his 40s I think - and she died the same night from horrific injuries.

How can any country allow this it happen - it should be classed as a type of murder or at least manslaughter.

I think we need to get over this racist business in UK - in some instances the race of a person is immaterial to the crime or the incident /problem etc but in others - such as these cases - it is. That is not to say that paedophile gangs do not exist in white culture too - we have had a number of cases in the fore recently which happened many years ago - has it just been hidden away by the enforcement agencies? Is it really an increasing problem or is it just that more cases are being reported?

We do need answers to this as it is affecting our children and young people of all classes and both sexes.