Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cyclist cleared of manslaughter.

(84 Posts)
gillybob Thu 24-Aug-17 10:17:46

Charlie Alliston was 18 when he crashed his fixed wheel track bike (with no front brakes) into mother of two Kim Briggs in London last February.

Prosecutors took the unprecedented step of bringing manslaughter charges but following a trial at the Old Bailey, jurors took 12 hours to find him not guilty of manslaughter but guilty of "causing bodily harm by wanton and furious driving" which carries a maximum of 2 years in jail.

Reading various news reports I cannot help but think that I hope he does get a term in jail as not only was he riding a bike that should never have been on the road, he doesn't appear to have shown any remorse for his actions, which was confirmed by Judge Wendy Joseph QC who commented that she "had not seen one iota of remorse from Mr Alliston at all at any stage" . Some of his comments on social media are nothing short of disgusting. Even when Ms Briggs lay dying in the road he shouted obscenities at her.

Cyclists are forever saying that they should be shown respect on the roads and should be treat like other road users such as cars, vans etc. so shouldn't we then liken a bike without brakes to any other vehicle without brakes?

Following the tragic death of his wife Mrs Briggs' husband has set about to bring "a change in the law and a change to attitudes".

rafichagran Mon 18-Sep-17 19:13:37

Horrible and arrogant. Should have got the full two years.

Azie09 Mon 18-Sep-17 22:14:20

Anyone care to say why this is different? Apart from the result?

www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/woman-cleared-of-killing-cyclist-in-britains-first-crowdfunded-prosecution-a3509201.html

There must be some posters with the 100% knowledge of the accused driver as clearly some people are psychic as to the background of others and the context of an accident. Or maybe the women who sat and knitted under the guillotine in 18th century France have reincarnated!

MissAdventure Mon 18-Sep-17 22:21:55

Remorse is the first difference that I noticed.

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Sep-17 08:05:50

Showing concern for the victim? Not using an illegal vehicle?

MissAdventure Tue 19-Sep-17 08:14:33

Not shouting obscenities at the victim?

Chewbacca Tue 19-Sep-17 08:32:34

Not making up lies that the victim wasn't paying attention because she was on her mobile phone and was therefore somehow responsible for her own death?

TerriBull Tue 19-Sep-17 09:36:46

Such an unavoidable tragedy caused by an arrogant idiot, riding an illegal bike, completely unaware of consequences, nevertheless he's not the first cyclist to have killed a pedestrian. Not wishing to tar all cyclist with the same brush, I know from family who work in London it's a constant problem with those that jump red lights the pedestrian can often feel they are taking their lives in their hands just getting around. We were in Copenhagen earlier this year and felt there was a different type of cyclist over there, certainly far more considerate, but then there are fewer people and there wasn't the bursting at the seams effect in Denmark's capital that there is in London. We also didn't encounter any of the thrusting lycra clad would be "Tour de France" types either.

We have thoroughfare for pedestrians with "no cycling" signs in our local town but cyclists still ride through it, rarely kids I might add but adults, I've had two near misses one was a woman and when I said "be careful" she replied "I know what I'm doing" and on another occasion when I remonstrated with a man he responded "keep your hair on love" angry I just wish someone was around to fine them.

goldengirl Tue 19-Sep-17 13:17:36

I was in the left hand lane of a road yesterday, indicating I was turning left. Checked mirrors - nothing behind me. Just as I was turning I saw a cyclist in my wing mirror coming up on my inside. He was dressed in black, on a black bike and no helmet. Luckily I was able to pull out a bit but if I'd hit him it would have been my fault. Like something along the lines of what Tim Wonnacott is known to say 'there was only a sheet of Bronco between us'. Just thinking about it makes me shaky.