Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump and May

(42 Posts)
mcem Thu 24-Aug-17 19:38:52

For anyone who may think that Trump has a point.
What the hell is TM contemplating?

lemongrove Thu 24-Aug-17 21:41:15

We do business with all sorts around the world mcem if we were to be so picky our economy would go down the pan, of course we will trade with the US!

Primrose65 Thu 24-Aug-17 21:54:49

That's just crazy. A trade deal with the US will probably outlive the tenure of his presidency. We're trading with a country, not with the president personally.

Day6 Thu 24-Aug-17 23:02:16

James Clapper, former director of National Intelligence made me smile when he questioned Trump's fitness for office saying his "behaviour and divisiveness and complete intellectual, moral and ethical void" was disturbing.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

However, it doesn't mean we don't do business with the USA. I imagine many of the heads of industry and business in the USA agree with Clapper, but they'll still be at the helm in terms of trade and negotiations and won't want to miss out on lucrative deals just because they have a strange President in the White House.

We won't be going through Trump to do deals, and I suspect the intellect of the person starting the petition may be slightly suspect too. The petition is an obvious and rather pathetic attempt at scaremongering and to take a swipe at Theresa May.

durhamjen Thu 24-Aug-17 23:07:40

So you all want the NHS to be privatised and turn into the eqivalent of the US system, do you?

durhamjen Thu 24-Aug-17 23:22:38

link.38degrees.org.uk/nhscrisistrackeryoutube

Put your postcode in this tracker and see how much 38 degrees is scaremongering.

Day6 Thu 24-Aug-17 23:45:27

DJ, I think most thinking people in the UK are on NHS watch.

It's used as a political football but privatisation began long ago, under Labour and Conservative governments, as you already know.

Doing a deal with the USA does not mean the NHS will automatically be privatised. Nor will we be forced to eat their chickens.

durhamjen Fri 25-Aug-17 11:00:50

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-fitness-for-office_us_599d92d6e4b0a296083b76a7?utm_hp_ref=cnn

Our economy is the worst in the G7 already. We don't need to worry about that. It's only half that of the rest of the EU.

durhamjen Fri 25-Aug-17 11:01:51

Day6, I'm vegan. You are welcome to either US or UK chickens, both just as badly treated.

durhamjen Fri 01-Sep-17 20:59:24

David Davis doing really well today, too. He told a verifiable lie in the press conference in Washington.

politicalscrapbook.net/2017/09/charmingbastardgate-davis-lies-to-news-conference-about-ft-quip/

whitewave Fri 01-Sep-17 21:02:23

He has frequently been economical with the truth when talking about various aspects of Brexit.

durhamjen Fri 01-Sep-17 21:20:43

A bit stupid saying that the FT called him a charming bastard when it was his own phrase for himself, and saying it was on the front page! So easy for a media person to check up on.

durhamjen Sat 02-Sep-17 10:15:33

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-unstable-bully-fox-news-poll_us_59a8d931e4b0dfaafcef376a?section=us_politics

Trump and May go well together.

durhamjen Sun 03-Sep-17 23:59:45

Trump has said that he is not going to do any trading with countries that trade with North Korea after the nuclear testing today.
That cuts out China, India nd Pakistan as well as Russia.
I wonder if he realises.

lemongrove Mon 04-Sep-17 08:24:55

He may not, but his team will.
Incidentally durhamjen not all chickens are badly treated in the UK why do you contantly have to evangelise for vegetarian/veganism, it's boring.

durhamjen Mon 04-Sep-17 09:28:30

Because I am vegan.
Many chickens are badly treated in UK and US.
Do you always ask? Do you believe the supermarkets?

www.viva.org.uk/lifeischeep/investigation
Do you trhink these are well looked after?
Like I say, you're welcome to it.

If you think it's boring, why did you bring it up on this thread?

durhamjen Thu 07-Sep-17 19:44:51

www.independent.co.uk/voices/donald-trump-kim-jong-un-second-world-war-94-years-old-harry-leslie-smith-nuclear-warning-a7932276.html

Not just trump amd May.

grumppa Fri 22-Sep-17 12:05:54

Trump a 'mentally deranged dotard', says Kim Jong Un (source: Huffington Post).

And for once I agree with him.

durhamjen Fri 22-Sep-17 15:18:59

I read today that trump is having drugs put in his drinks, just enough to slow him down, stop him thinking properly.
That could explain why he talks slowly and carefully to everyone as if they are idiots.

lemongrove Fri 22-Sep-17 17:53:25

Do you believe everything that you read durhamjen ?
Must make for an anxious life.?

durhamjen Fri 22-Sep-17 17:56:40

I'd rather believe that than that trump has just fired a nuclear missile at North Korea - or vice versa.

durhamjen Fri 22-Sep-17 17:59:03

Anyway, I didn't say I believed it, I said I'd read it.
It's in the i.
"In what some wags are likely to dub wishful thinking...."

whitewave Fri 22-Sep-17 18:22:50

Oh! God - now NK threatening to drop a bomb above the Pacific!

whitewave Fri 22-Sep-17 18:23:54

Someone needs to step up Trumps pills - hopefully until he is asleep

lemongrove Fri 22-Sep-17 19:16:04

How about some Kim pills at the same time.