Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rohinga Muslims genocide

(93 Posts)
POGS Sun 17-Sep-17 12:04:36

I have fought shy of starting a thread because I have been mentioning the Rohinga Muslim situation in Burma on threads for a couple of years from time to time without much success .

The ' ethnic cleansing ' in Burma of the Rohinga Muslims has escalated and is obviously now being widely reported and discussed in the media, at long last. The world has woken up to the 'ethnic cleansing' that has taken place for years in Burma.

I have been bemused for a while how Aung San Suu Kyi and her role as Prime Minister of Burma has somehow evaded discussion and reports by some media outlets. I have watched so many t.v reports , read so many reports that have begun to discuss the issue but naming Aung San Suu Kyi until recently has been noticeably missing.

Why?

Could it be the fact Aung San Suu Kyi was 'feted' not so long ago by so many organisations including our own political establishment.?

I believe she is to give a National Address next week and I hope she will say something worth while because to be honest she has done nothing of any worth when it comes to the ' ethnic cleansing ' of Rohinga Muslim in Burma so far.

Perhaps I am doing her an injustice thinking being the President of Burma means you are capable of ordering the Army what to do. However given her supposed reputation
on Human Rights the world is watching and she is sadly lacking.

nigglynellie Mon 18-Sep-17 12:49:45

I think all right minded people will be deeply saddened and bewildered at ASSK's apparent indifference to the ethnic cleansing of the Rohinger Muslims in Myanmar. Her attitude is indefensible and deeply worrying. As for who supplied arms or trained soldiers, the bottom it line is the army who uses these weapons against its own people who are entirely responsible.

grannyactivist Mon 18-Sep-17 12:59:05

An open letter from Desmond Tutu to Aung San Su Kyi
This was published last week and is well worth reading.

nigglynellie Mon 18-Sep-17 15:02:15

It certainly is g.a, and says it all.

Eloethan Mon 18-Sep-17 16:43:03

I hope she listens to him.

nigglynellie Mon 18-Sep-17 17:41:46

I wouldn't hold your breath. I think it's the old problem of power corrupting. Let's face it, its happened again and again down the ages. A case of ' Et tu Brutus'!

POGS Tue 19-Sep-17 11:08:50

Well Aung San Suu Kyi gave her National Address and it appears she is not shifting her view. She is still in denial.

I remain of the opinion 'some' people will find ways to detract from her attitude , refrain from mentioning her name regarding the Rohinga because they 'feted' Aung San Suu Kyi such a short while ago.

She has no doubt confused many both in the UK and Internationally.

Considering the fact the Rohinga Muslim ethnic cleansing / genocide situatution has been known about for years I am of the opinion she cannot fail to be aware but I am beyond disappointed in Aung San Suu Kyi and to be honest. She knows exactly what is / has been going on and she either cannot / will not do anything to stop it.

It does make my blood boil to think of the incessant need there was to 'fete' Aung San Suu Kyi and it is a timely reminder sometimes we get it all wrong .

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41315924

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/aung-san-suu-kyi-burma-myanmar-rohingya-horror-state-persecution-refugee-crisis-a7954561.html

Now it will be interesting to see what the United Nations will do. Given they haven't done anything for years I won't hold my breath.

nigglynellie Tue 19-Sep-17 12:46:36

I think that the attitude of ASSK to the obvious persecution/genocide of these poor people is the reason that a lot of us become so cynical as we get older. Deeply disappointing, but sadly not 100% surprising!

nigglynellie Tue 19-Sep-17 12:49:07

The UN? Toothless Tiger comes to mind! If you didn't laugh, you'd cry!

Barmyoldbat Tue 19-Sep-17 17:53:23

I have many friends abroad who are Muslim and believe me they are doing a great deal to help, also the Turkish pm has been sending help. The trouble is we will just stand back and do very little, after all there is no financial gain t be had like oil.

Welshwife Tue 19-Sep-17 17:55:10

In the speech I saw she was asking what was wrong for the people to flee - asking them to tell her!! Do you think she has no access to Western news where these poor people have been interviewed?

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Sep-17 18:06:56

I don't think people got it wrong about her at the time - she endured dreadful hardship and personal tragedy. Now many feel very very disappointed in her but ironically she wouldn't have been in the position to disappoint if she hadn't fought so long and hard in the first place. I'm not being an apologist for her but I think we should acknowledge what she fought for and endured for so long

durhamjen Tue 19-Sep-17 21:29:08

Do you really think she is in charge, or do you think she is just a mouthpiece for the army?

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:48:47

I honestly have no idea - my post was just to address the balance a little - she suffered for years to try and bring democracy and I think that should be remembered despite her present behaviour. I feel bitterly disappointed and let down by her as many do but I couldn't have been as brave and stoical as she was for all those years

durhamjen Tue 19-Sep-17 22:56:50

I think she will be in danger of assassination if she does speak out. The army is in charge now, not the government.
And whatever people say, we did train them.

Day6 Tue 19-Sep-17 23:09:38

dj - Blaming Michael Fallon and the British government and now the Israelis (really?!) is merely a distraction

Agreed dbDB, but it's an entirely predictable response from that left-wing poster. No surprises there.

Day6 Tue 19-Sep-17 23:20:48

POGS - I am beyond disappointed in Aung San Suu Kyi and to be honest. She knows exactly what is / has been going on and she either cannot / will not do anything to stop it.

I share your feelings POGS.

I saw the news tonight and she seemed completely cold and without feeling, but as others have said, how much pressure is she facing? She is in denial of what is happening. She may indeed be a mouthpiece for army generals.

Footage of persecuted families trying to rebuild their lives - building make-shift shelters from plastic sheets on wooden frames, which will be as good as useless in monsoons - brought tears to my eyes. They have nothing. Such dreadful suffering. How can Buddhists be so savage and unfeeling?

Iam64 Wed 20-Sep-17 06:26:19

No one claims the British government is always right, I'm one of many who regularly criticise what I believe to be poor social policy-austerity. We are a free country, complaints, criticisms, demands that things are done differently are our norm. The blame for what's happening in Myanmar lies with its rulers, its army. The British army is involved in supporting, training or advising the armies of many countries where subjects don't have our freedoms. The doesn't mean we continue to put responsibility for the way the training is used on ourselves.
To do so excuses those who are committing murder, rape and genocide.

nigglynellie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:50:09

We haven't trained the Burmese army to commit genocide, they've chosen to behave in this appalling way. Why is it that certain posters always blame Britain for the actions of others? Do you really hate this country that much?

POGS Wed 20-Sep-17 22:13:57

I am not a kangaroo court waller by nature and I am not particularly raising the point re the calls to take away the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize Award because I feel strongly about it. However I do find some quotes and points raised from organisations such as Amnesty International etc. worth consideration.

" We applauded Aung San Suu Kyi when she received her Nobel Prize because she symbolised courage in the face of tyranny,” noted Ken Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch. “Now that she’s in power, she symbolises cowardly complicity in the deadly tyranny being visited on the Rohingya.”

'Another Nobel Peace Prize winner, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, wrote a pained letter to his friend: “My dear sister: if the political price of your ascension to the highest office in Myanmar is your silence, the price is surely too steep.”

www.independent.co.uk/voices/rohingya-refugees-ethnic-cleansing-myanmar-aung-san-suu-kyi-nobel-peace-prize-winner-not-worthy-a7954846.html

The best one :-

“Ultimately our aim should be to create a world free from the displaced, the homeless and the hopeless, a world of which each and every corner is a true sanctuary where the inhabitants will have the freedom and the capacity to live in peace.” – Aung San Suu Kyi’s Nobel Peace Prize lecture, 2012

nigglynellie Wed 20-Sep-17 22:32:42

What on earth has gone wrong?! Is she so afraid of the Myanmar military that she has now been reduced to a puppet, or did she always have a darker side that no one was aware of? Perhaps we will never know, but what we do know is that she appears to be complicit in the persecution of these poor unfortunate people and that her actions and attitude are both bewildering and deeply deeply disappointing.

Chewbacca Wed 20-Sep-17 22:39:37

Excellent post Iam64, very well put.

durhamjen Wed 20-Sep-17 22:47:14

"Speaking to Sky News at the UN General Assembly in New York on Tuesday, Theresa May described the Government as "very concerned" about the Rohingya in Myanmar, also known as Burma.

She said: "The military action against them must stop. We've seen too many vulnerable people having to flee for their lives.

"Aung San Suu Kyi and the Burmese government need to make it very clear that the military action should stop."

Following pressure from MPs and peers, the Prime Minister confirmed the Government is "going to stop all defence engagement and training of the Burmese military by the Ministry of Defence until this issue is resolved". "

durhamjen Thu 21-Sep-17 08:45:23

www.avaaz.org.uk

have a petition to end support for Burma's butchers.

POGS Wed 18-Oct-17 12:08:55

I am raising this issue again and I make no apology.

I watched the debate yesterday in Parliament on the persecution of the Rohinga Muslims and I admit I shed a tear listening to the atrocities the Burmese Army have undertaken.

It was one of those days when there was a consensus on both sides of the house , apart from the odd couple of MP's who try and make it a point scoring exercise but you see through their motive.

I was surprised how many called for Aung San Suu Kyi to have her Nobel Peace Prize taken away and to be honest I was a slight fence sitter on that but I am now of the opinion that should be the case.

I am sure the MP's were remembering how 'feted' Aung San Suu Kyi was by our Parliament not so long ago and it must have been a difficult position to now have to review their position.

nigglynellie Wed 18-Oct-17 18:56:33

Have just watched the news and the situation for these poor people is beyond dreadful. Tbh I'm speechless at the actions of the Myanmar government. Where will it end? what in gods name will happen to these people, a tiny baby born while her parents were fleeing, two tiny children in baskets carried by their desperate father. Very elderly people (probably younger than me!) stumbling along to who knows where. Just terrible. Made me feel quite ashamed of getting so worked up about brexit! I bet they'd swap places with us!