Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let's not forget Brexit

(1001 Posts)
Cindersdad Tue 03-Oct-17 19:16:18

I still feel that Brexit is wrong though have no idea how stop it. We get mixed messages on the negotiations, DD says that are going fine but the EU side says otherwise.

There was a protest in Manchester where Lib. Dems., European Movement. Open Britain and other groups made their feelings clear.

Our democracy and standard of living is under threat from dogmatism on both the left and the right.

radicalnan Thu 12-Oct-17 10:21:19

I voted to leave and would do it again.

There are huge problems in other EU countries and the wanting to maintain national identity is just normal human behaviour. We can see places beset by tourists are protesting now that their way of life feels threatened, Catalonia has similar feelings, people are comfortable with their own ways, own space, own local economies.

We went into a trading partnership but we are stuck in an administration that nobody cares for, freedom is always a good choice.

As for us negotiating against 27 others, that is ridiculous, we are in a partnership which states, within its own treaty, that anyone wanting to leave should not be penalised. If you leave SKY or the gym, you don't negotiate with every other member and neither should we. There ought to have been more detailed terms for leaving in the treaty, there weren't, we can some say, just leave. I would like us to do that, the EU is happy to threaten Catalonia with expulsion so it must be easy to break free.

We have more people per square acre than other EU countries, we do not need more low skilled labour here, we have more robotic workers in production, we can do without having our cars washed for us, we can cut our own grass, we can do our own odd jobs, we have cheap handymen and services because the tax payer funds people working here on low wages. People have become used to having staff doing their cleaning, garden, child care, well most of us can't afford that unless some low wage person is doing it for us and the tax credits subsidise them.

We can and should be training our own NHS staff instead of which we plunder from other countries and act as if that is something to be proud of.

What I see around me, is a huge programme of building houses, who is going to live there and where will they work? How many can one small island sustain?

I wouldn't mind a simpler life, our own fishing fleet, no EU army, fewer old men making megga money out of pontificating.

We had excellent laws before the EU and we can continue those, we can do everything we need for ourselves, the proof of which, is the fact that we have done so for years.

Does anyone really think that with the rise in world populations the future will be much like the present?

I do wish people would stop borrowing trouble and start considering whether the status quo is healthy, sustainable or kind.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 10:26:56

I think that W.E may well be edging towards the tipping point where many MPs are beginning to realise that to support Brexit will do their careers no good at all. Never mind whether it s good for the country.

Halsgran2 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:27:21

I wish I could forget Brexit ! I have 2 companies stalled at present (both carried out European projects with partners from the other 27 for the last 15 years on subjects like youth employment, women entrepreneurship, active citizenship, youth mobilities etc) but now with the uncertainty partnerships we have had all these years are "silent". They are afraid that the support we receive from the European Commission will be jeopardised by having a UK partner. The Government say they will meet the gap in the funding when we depart in 2019, but will they still be there? and do we trust them to do this. I am just about to sign a 3-year project but if we exit in 2019 and the project goes to 2020 (which is the procurement call) then we stand to lose any outstanding funding. What do I do? do I risk not being paid, or do I say the project which is about youth employment into the hospitality & catering industry in coastal areas is too important to UK regeneration prospects. I already work for nothing, do I want to continue to use my pension (and probably support the loss) to support the company or have these so called politicians with their healthy pension & lifestyle take us back 50 years?? I went to see my own MP a few years ago to talk about the rural economy and he was most insulting, accused me of talking "techno babble" whatever that means, if I were a man I might have been tempted to floor him but I dont know any more, am I mad ?

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 10:29:53

BBC News/business.

7 countries have already issued an objection to the plan The UK is beginning to agree with the EU after Brexit under WTO rules. Interestingly they include those countries that the government argues are most favourable towards us.

TellNo1Ok Thu 12-Oct-17 10:30:00

I'm a passionate (and despairing) REMAINER and hope against hope that those saying it won't /can't happen are right ... and that people and politicians will see that it is NOT in our national interests to leave...
The current leaders and negotiations don't give me any confidence in brexit ...

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 10:33:06

halsgran that is what I am hearing from so many businesses. The only recourse is to write write write to your MP no 10 etc.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 10:35:15

Independent has a report saying that Brexit will cost the UK £400bn by 2030.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 10:37:06

Next we will hear from the daily fail that this is all fake news etc. I see they are trashing Hammond. Well blow me who’d have thunk grin

Oriel Thu 12-Oct-17 10:43:14

I agree Oriel but I think you are very brave to stick your head above the parapet here

Yes - I expect to be ignored!

There may be threads where leavers have posted but I don't remember seeing any. Its sad that leavers' voices are drowned out to the point where it is seen as putting one's head above the parapet to post. The fact that the majority voted to leave must mean that there are some leavers on GN.

I am tired hearing here that the country will go to the dogs once we exit. Positive news is ignored or drowned out by a chorus of negativity.

I don't understand why those who seek to remain part of the EU appear to believe that those very countries will seek to undermine and 'punish' us. If those countries are so malevolent why do they want to be united with them?

The majority voted to leave. Now we need to face the future with confidence and positivity.

BRedhead59 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:49:28

When Maytwit has a bad deal - the commons will vote it out
Then there will be an election and we can vote to stay in
What a waste of time and money but at least we'll have a better outcome. Europe will have had a scare and will be more likely to reform. Maytwit can end her days on the lecture circuit making £200 a minute providing she has her cough sweets handy and we'll be ruled by another idiot from either the left or right.

Halsgran2 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:52:35

Whitewave: I am still writing to my MP and in fact have been to no. 10 twice now. On the last visit we were told "if you want some of these things done, then you have to do it, we are too busy managing the economy" Thats where the "community" is on their agenda. But how much can a handful of people actually do?

MawBroon Thu 12-Oct-17 10:53:52

COULD anybody forget about BREXIT (even if they wanted to and tried very, very, very hard)?

Tegan2 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:21:57

I'm not going to forget about brexit while I've got breath still left in my body with which to fight it.....to do so would be to let down my children, grandchildren and their future...sad...

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 11:22:08

hasgran you probably feel a bit hopeless at the moment, but don’t forget that most businesses support your cause as well as probably the majority of the voters. I just hope that your business is strong enough to survive the next few years.
God it is awful isn’t it?

It is certainly a real struggle to get them to sense even a modicum of sense but I am optimistic that it will happen and Brexit will be at the worse a soft Brexit. Of course having gone through all this pain and expense will be an issue for public enquiries in the future.

Halsgran2 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:23:32

BRedhead59: I love it ! At least you have proved my sense of humour is still here. I only hope someone or something saves us from our insanity.

Tegan2 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:24:21

When I was a child I was told that lying was wrong; I'm now in a situation where the shape of the future of my country has been altered [for the worst] based on lie, lies and more lies. It confuses and infuriates me and makes no sense whatsoever.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 11:28:23

That’s the thing [tegan] vastly wealthy individuals, most who have no stake in the UK have funded these lies and propaganda in order to achieve vastly more wealth by buying a stake in our health service, gain vastly as hedge fund managers and watch as they sell cheap nasty meat and our farmers go to the wall.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 11:28:44

tegan

Halsgran2 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:51:46

So was I Tegan2, taught that lyers need good memories (my mother used to say that) and I have a very good memory. Nowadays I think "spin" has actually become downright lies, and its considered OK - I cant listen to anything now without thinking "is this true, are they lying again". and I remember when to get a passport you had to get an "upright member of society" such as JP, or MP to sign your application !!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 12-Oct-17 12:02:54

Lemongrove
I agree with you.
Armageddon does however appear to be well and truly a fixation in the minds of so many.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 12-Oct-17 12:07:04

Halsgran 2
Liars.and if I recall the world was a far safer place than it is now.

Halsgran2 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:08:10

Whitewave: I know technically we pay into these programmes but we are one 27th of the input and have had many years of regeneration OUT of them, infrastructure, universities, research, innovation etc . but its an awful thing to say I dont believe our own politicians would have done much for the community - you probably know this but I dont think it was spelled out during the referendum. My son has had a good university education out of it, has his own business & employs 15 people who rely on him, but I worry that my grandchildren will not have the same opportunities because it will take us years to achieve these trade deals we think are going to replace what we have. If I am pessimistic I will be the first to put my hand up & say I was wrong.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 12:11:38

I am constantly astounded at the way so many leavers are prepared to accept this fantasy. La la land is alive and kicking. One thing for sure Thatcher would never have entertained a referendum.

I am also sure that when it all goes pear shaped and it will as sure as the sun rising, the blame will be laid squarely at the Remainers door.

Halsgran2 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:14:18

Perhaps also lies that it is us "older generation" that wanted Brexit & showed no concern for the young, not true I believe, we are all parents and grandparents. I will go away now and get some work done !! Thank you everyone I feel a little better. !!

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 12:16:23

I so agree with you halsgran

In my working life I was in the position to know about so many businesses as are my ex working colleagues who are still working. They say that some are really panicking as they can see that this shower are doing nothing for them, the rest are resigned to a total shambles unless a miracle occurs.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion