Gransnet forums

News & politics

I don't get this

(68 Posts)
Baggs Fri 06-Oct-17 21:38:57

I'vs just seen this tweet by Associated Press (@AP):

"BREAKING: The Trump administration will let more employers opt out of providing no-cost birth control for religious, moral reasons."

What I don't 'get' is what employers have to do with their employees' birth control. Is it to do with medical insurance?

maryeliza54 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:42:05

Yes it is - it's utterly shocking, isn't it, that they will be able to make this choice.

maryeliza54 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:42:53

Bet JRM thinks it's fantastic news

FarNorth Fri 06-Oct-17 21:45:41

Employers can opt out of part of their workers' health insurance?

maryeliza54 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:45:55

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-birth-control-health-insurance-requirement-obama-roll-back-latest-a7987016.html

maryeliza54 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:52:07

And of course if you then get pregnant, abortion rights are under threat. However, abortion is fine for some anti abortion politicians in some circumstances....

www.cnbc.com/2017/10/05/anti-abortion-lawmaker-rep-murphy-resigning-after-reportedly-asking-mistress-to-end-pregnancy.html

Nannarose Sat 07-Oct-17 01:31:20

Yes, it's because most US citizens rely on medical insurance provided by their employers. During the Obama administration, they were obliged to include contraception in this. This proposal means they can back out. That leaves people either seeking private contraceptive advice or using the patchwork of charities that may help.
Some of us remember when contraception was not part of the NHS remit.

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-17 05:39:38

Medical insurance provided by employers not a good idea then, at least not without cast iron protection from employers' personal beliefs.

Before anyone attacks that, it is not an attack on employers' personal beliefs. Of course they can believe what they like but they shouldn't be allowed to use their personal beliefs to affect the lives of their employees, which is what this opt out facility seems to be encouraging.

Jane10 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:04:03

I always saw contraception as a personal responsibility.

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-17 07:07:47

Yes, there's that too. I think it just shows what a mess medical cover is in the US. I knew that already so I shouldn't be surprised at details which prove it. Hey ho.

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:21:17

Thank goodness for the NHS then.

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:30:48

Well obviously contraception is a personal responsibility - using it that is. Providing it is a whole different issue.

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:31:59

As is preventing access to contraception as happens still in many countries

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-17 07:33:38

TBH, I think the reverse ruling (Obama made it inclusive) is more about access to abortion rather than contraception.

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:38:06

I don't get your point Baggs can you explain a bit more?

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-17 07:53:14

It seems employers in the States pay into their employees' medical insurance policies. It seems that until Obama changed the rules employers could opt out of making contirbutions to certain aspects of medical insurance, basing the opting out on their own personal views about contraception. I think the medical insurance covered abortion where it was deemed necessary.

A lot of people include abortion and morning after pills in the general title of "contraception".

My interpretation could be factually wrong and I'm happy to be corrected if it is.

whitewave Sat 07-Oct-17 08:00:49

Trump has made it a personal mission to absolutely clean the slate of all things Obama, regardless of its worth.

No wonder there is such division in that country.

Welshwife Sat 07-Oct-17 08:14:19

Most employers have employees medical insurance as part of the salary package. The very large companies tend to have much better schemes than the smaller ones. They sometimes have several levels of cover which allow the employee to chose the level they opt for or the employee can sort of top up their own insurance.
DS works for a very large company but he has to contribute money to some of the bills too - very complicated. Things like dental braces cost a fortune - thousands of dollars - and they tend to put them on children at a very early age.
He considers his insurance to be good - much better than when he worked for a smaller company for a few years.

radicalnan Sat 07-Oct-17 08:32:18

Why is it such an issue? Medical insurances with different levels of cover apply here in the private sector. Contraception is a personal choice, plenty of affordable solutions out there, is it too much to ask people to think about it for themselves?

When cost is an issue all health services have to make choices, just as the NHS is doing now and Trump is offering to Americans. Stop being so hysterical about him and thinking everything associate with the T word must be bad.

I aso think it is a poor criticism to mention JRM, no one knows what he thinks about this, all we know is that he is a Catholic and adheres to his principles, are peope not allowed principles anymore? We live in a democracy which means we have to encompass all sorts of people and viewpoints. RM was very clear on television, his principles are his, he seeks no changes in the law, meanwhile others are trying to raise the ime limit on abortions which aready kill approaching 200,000 babies year because a woman's right to murder has been enshrined in law here.

I despair of the 'Obama was better mantra' too, he did very little apart from turn up and be black and cool.

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:34:05

I never cease to be amazed at the socially conservative who want to impose their views on others through legislation rather than allowing people to make their own choices - or, to be more accurate - socially conservative men who want to impose their views on women.( unless it's their possibly pregnant mistress who then of course must have an abortion)

whitewave Sat 07-Oct-17 08:36:44

radical I think you would be better named reactionary.

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:43:13

you can't compare private health care cover here with employer health benefits in the USA which is the main way that many Americans get health cover at all. The change that Trump is bringing in is absolutely nothing at all to do with cost - it is pure ideology. I think it's also extremely bad form to accuse people who don't agree with Trump of being 'hysterical' given your ranty post

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:45:19

Just noticed 'woman's right to murder' - how absolutely disgusting, uninformed and hysterical is that?

angmhay Sat 07-Oct-17 09:11:40

radicalnan
I couldn't agree more. Well said.

dbDB77 Sat 07-Oct-17 09:20:30

"We live in a democracy.... all sorts of people and viewpoints" - well said radicalnan.
I think you're unfair about Obama though - didn't he improve his golf handicap?grin