Gransnet forums

News & politics

Policies please!!!

(310 Posts)
trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 10:19:06

Dear Gransnetters
I am making a sincere request for any ideas and policies you think might help me and my government cling on to power keep the country on a strong and stable path. We are willing to consider anything. Sajid has already launched a housing idea, Michael is busy searching through Jeremy's bins for cast offs and Boris has promised to keep his nose out of things is focussing on foreign policy. But I am sure some of you have really good ideas. Don't worry about u-turns I am willing to swivel 360% and more if it will keep me in power is in the country's interests. So please send them to me. Desperately Seeking Solutions Theresa @No.10

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 10:28:31

Theresa, do a Corbyn, you promise everything people say they want, explain you will pay for it all by borrowing billions .

A shell suit or an ankle length fur coat wouldn't suit Michael so best he forgets cast offs

whitewave Mon 23-Oct-17 10:28:39

grin

They are desperately trying to get the Repeal Bill underway at the moment, but with over 300 amendments and the HoL looming large there is no room for anything else. Starmer has suggested a way forward, so no doubt they will eventually let his plan sink in and follow it, but it takes a while.

If you want to know what the Tories plan to do look at labour’s plans and assume a built in delay whilst the Tories try to get their head around it.

whitewave Mon 23-Oct-17 10:32:02

Infrastructure spending is something Javid seems to be getting his head around. He has just got to convince the rabid neo-libs in the government (fat chance). One of them who caused such havoc is sitting firing pot shots at the government through his newspaper outlet.

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 10:38:28

I used that one with the DUP Annie sadly they seem to be reneging on the deal and might try asking for more!! I will only give out i.o.u.s now and refuse to pay up in advance.

Michael is very fond of cast-offs. Where do you think my leather trousers went?

whitewave Starmer-farmer!

We are simply recycling policies, any resemblance to Labour policies is purely accidental

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 10:46:58

Sack Jeremy Hunt.
Put Sarah Wollaston in his place. Bring back a real NHS by getting rid of the footprints.
That should get you lots of kudos from any NHS staff.

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 10:47:24

Oh, and fund the NHS properly.

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 10:56:27

Oh the NHS. Don't mention the NHS! I have nightmares about this. I would dj but I have to consider the people waiting to cherry pick services a wider range of views. Of course the people who staff the NHS are vital but they don't fund my party

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 10:59:15

Oh, right, so you are not willing to consider anything!
Caught you out straight away.

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 11:00:37

Can't you still sack Jeremy Hunt, though.
Please.......
I won't annoy you any more if you just do that.

LadyGracie Mon 23-Oct-17 11:01:42

Just say you’ve arranged to hijack Corbyns money tree and all our problems will come to an end!

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 11:08:46

Jeremy Hunt may at some point make a sideways movement and readjust his career path, when he does so I am sure we will all heave a sigh of relief wish him well. In the meantime he is someone I can blame when it all goes to pot a valued minister. I have noted your comments and will look for a new role for him which will suit his particular talents

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 11:11:23

LadyGracie We have our own Money tree. And it is thriving (in spite of the DUP)

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 11:51:06

Housing!
Increase the money you borrow for housing and build lots od council and housing association houses.

Sorry, wasn't that a Labour promise, and haven't you just announced you are going to do it, thereby hijacking Labour's Money tree anyway?

There'll soon be a money tree forest.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/government-ready-to-borrow-big-for-home-building/

Some people in the building industry don't believe you, though, so you will really have a hard job persuading them.

mostlyharmless Mon 23-Oct-17 11:58:28

Fine words - but will you actually carry through any of your policies?

What about the "just about managing" you promised to help when you became leader?

And the Grenfell Tower residents. Have you forgotten those?

mostlyharmless Mon 23-Oct-17 12:02:13

I know you have to run all your policies past the DUP, the more rabid backbenchers, plus Boris, Hammond, Gove etc. And "the will of the people" and the Daily Mail of course.
It must make it hard to get anything done.

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 12:45:59

mostlyharmless the "just about managing" have been regraded I do hope they are still managing, but if not our brilliant Universal credit scheme will should swing into action and make their lives much easier.
We are a government of consensus and delight in recognising all opinions (apart from the poor, disabled, homeless, refugees etc but really one can't think of everybody)
dj you had the NHS it wouldn't be fair to allow you housing as well. Anyway that nice Sajid is dealing with this. People will love him.

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 12:54:02

But you said you weren't going to do anything about the NHS as the staff didn't fund the party.

Not fair!

mostlyharmless Mon 23-Oct-17 12:55:45

Theresa @ no.10
I fear you are very stressed at the moment. We hear you were forced to beg at a dinner with Juncker the other day. And all that jet lag rushing from meeting to meeting.

Yet you (usually) look immaculately dressed and only occasionally does your voice show a hint of hysteria. I worry for your health Theresa. But of course you won't need to rely on the NHS.p like the rest of us.

Iam64 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:11:20

Theresa - thanks so much for asking advice from the collective wisdom and varied experience/political views here on gransnet.
I'm off to an NHS appointment so this is a non thought out and speedy response -
NHS - sack Mr *unt. Give Sarah Wollaston health and have her advised by current medical students, GP's and health staff from community and hospital medicine. Don't ignore mental health needs, invest in them. Everyone involved will tell her they're struggling to meet demand - she will believe them.

Housing - stop the sale of council/HA homes. Invest in building HA/social housing - build the kind of houses we have on the older estates i.e. proper family homes. Build a range - large to one bed, and apartments.

Housing - get rid of the bedroom tax. It isn't cost effective and its' cruel.

Social Care -
Invest in safeguarding, preventative social work teams.
Invest in family centres and early years strageties. It's cost effective and supported by research
Invest in community services to support carers. A large proportion off whom are over the age of 80.
Invest in residential care homes which are fit for purpose
Combine Health and Social Care so they're no longer fighting over who is responsible for what and are focussed on client need.

Education - stop stop stop the academy chains and free schools.
Public service and health - don't let people come out of training owing £60000 upwards

I'm off to the hospital now - but my message is - invest in public service which is properly funded, monitored and accountable.

Sorry this is rushed -
a voter living in the Northern Poor House

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 13:14:19

I had assumed Mr Juncker was a gentleman. I was wrong. We all know a gentleman never tells.
I never suffer from jet lag it is a sign of weakness.
Thank you I like to look my best. I do think Donald noticed this when I visited.
Rely on the NHS? OMG NO!!!

Luckygirl Mon 23-Oct-17 13:15:11

I think you would be wise to retire TBH. You can get very giddy indeed turning round and round and you are a bit old for this.

Don't worry about the ensuing unseemly scrabble for the leadership I am sure you and your OH will have plenty to live on and you can just let them all get on with it. Yes, I know they will look like prize idiots and we will finish up with an idiot like Mikey or Boris as PM, but just go off on a cruise and leave them to it.

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 13:16:43

Iam64 you were doing very well until your last sentence. The Northern Poor House! I'm not that desperate yet.

trisher Mon 23-Oct-17 13:19:09

Luckygirl I will not give way to temptation. Get thee behind me!

paddyann Mon 23-Oct-17 13:59:24

Dear Theresa.look north,theres a woman in Holyrood doing a good job on a very limited budget ,she can put you on the right track IF you're prepared to listen,she's already mitigating the effects of your austerity measures so the poorest dont suffer ,she's on target for housebuilding ,she built a new bridge without any westminster funding AND ahe opened the first floating Wind farm in the world last week ...also without any WM funding .She's funding extra apprenticeships and helped save the shipbuilding companies we do have left after Margarets stellar effort to destroy them .I'm sure you could learn a lot from her...even if its just that she works FOR her people not against them.