Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Vile Trump

(64 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 25-Oct-17 10:42:50

This man has been brutal to a grief stricken young widow whose husband has died in the service of his country .

"He knew what he signed up for"

Does this apply to police officers, firefighters, as well as the armed forces ?

If we read of a person drowning trying to save a life shall we say - they knew what risks they were taking "

When we remember prisoners of war shall we say the same ?

lemongrove Wed 25-Oct-17 10:47:27

It’s yet another in a long line of ‘Trump-isms’ Annie and he needs to learn the art of diplomacy instead if saying the first thing that pops into his head.
His aides must be pulling their hair out, with all the damage limitation they have to do.

Ailsa43 Wed 25-Oct-17 10:51:59

Yes but did he actually say that or is it just another attack on him by the Media.... ? I'm not a particular fan of trump but I do think he's battered with a big stick unjustly at times...

eazybee Wed 25-Oct-17 10:52:54

I don't think it is intentional brutality, but complete indifference to anyone's feelings but his own, which is more frightening.

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 10:58:06

eazy I think you have hit on the truth if the matter.

Trump is a narcissist - this is exactly the sort of behaviour that one must expect. Nothing anyone does will make any difference,

Anniebach Wed 25-Oct-17 11:09:27

Not an attack by the media, the widow gave an interview, she was very distressed.

I agree, he is indifferent to anyone's feelings .

vampirequeen Wed 25-Oct-17 11:38:57

Definitely not an attack by the media. The man is totally thoughtless. If it doesn't affect him directly then it doesn't matter. The widow also states that he couldn't even remember her husband's name at first.

Day6 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:00:33

I tend to watch Trump interviews open-mouthed. I cannot believe the ignorance and stupidity of the man.

He totally lacks judgement, tact, diplomacy and feeling. I feel sorry for his aides who must dread his speaking off the cuff.

How can he promote America the Great yet almost shrug when a member of the armed services, who died for his country, is brought home in a coffin?

I do believe we have to be careful though. As Ailsa43 mentioned above. I think we are all aware that media and journalists today tend to give us THEIR version of the news. They colour it with their biases and prejudices unfortunately.

I would like to hear verbatim the conversation Trump had with that widow, in the interests of fairness. Did anyone hear him speak?

All we have is a report from a woman who may be putting her own spin on affairs.

Trump is still vile though.

Luckygirl Wed 25-Oct-17 12:10:47

Vile indeed - but his support is slipping away as senators on his side leave. We can only hope that he will start to watch his power slipping away.

Day6 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:13:07

Just thinking...language is strange.

If the bull-at-a-gate Trump did say "He knew what he was getting into..." perhaps in his way he what he really meant was "He bravely signed up to fight for his country and this can be a consequence. We honour him and grieve his loss." (Oh if only!)

I don't think he has the thinking or language skills of a diplomat - which makes his position as perhaps the most important man in the world all the more incredible.

I am not excusing him, but his lack of awareness and unpolished public speaking skills are something to behold.

Makes a change from the say-nothing, polished career politicians who glibly talk their way out of everything I suppose.

We want more than talk-the-talk from our politicians. We want do-ers.

Just musing and in no way excusing Trump his lack of sensitivity.

He is different...We have to give him that. confused

Anniebach Wed 25-Oct-17 12:52:01

Does it take a polished career politician to extend condolences ?

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 15:07:24

CNN has printed Jeff Flakes resignation speech in full.

What a speech! What integrity!

If only we had MPs with such integrity in this country.

SueDonim Wed 25-Oct-17 15:13:51

I think the concern about the more moderate senators retiring or resigning is that the Republican Party then becomes full of Trumpites (or Trumpists or Trumpeters, whatever you want to call them) and that is something to fear, I believe.

Fennel Wed 25-Oct-17 17:01:52

I read his speech too, whitewave - also impressed with his integrity.
Has he resigned, or just not going for re-election?

durhamjen Wed 25-Oct-17 18:23:01

What happens when they resign? Is there another election straight away?
Could one of the houses end up Democrat by default?

durhamjen Wed 25-Oct-17 22:10:55

Looking forward to this.

www.indy100.com/article/donald-trump-us-president-screaming-at-sky-protest-facebook-election-victory-anniversary-one-year-8017691

BlueBelle Wed 25-Oct-17 23:06:15

Alisa you can’t defend the indefensible he has said all the things he is accused of saying most of them are on tape or video anyway only him thinks it’s all fake he is narcissistic has no reasoning that his mouth may go too far hasn’t one gram of diplomacy or decency is ready to start WW3 in the quest to be right and get the last word and when he is picked up by ANYONE he screams Fake News..... he is a caricature of a human

Tegan2 Wed 25-Oct-17 23:43:33

I think there was a witness to what he said [or so the S.O. told me].

durhamjen Thu 26-Oct-17 00:00:35

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/myeshia-johnson-trump-phone-call_us_59edbc7ce4b00f08619fcb04

Who do you believe? It was on speaker phone in a car.
Two witnesses.

durhamjen Thu 26-Oct-17 00:13:20

www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/trump-says-he-is-only-president-in-history-with-courage-to-stand-up-to-war-widows

Watch the video at the bottom of this, after reading it.

radicalnan Thu 26-Oct-17 09:16:51

Poor old Trump, anyone would think the rest of them were angels the way that man is pulled apart, for every word he says. He follows a long line of sexual predators and fiancial fraudsters and corruption into office, and yet he is the one villified at every opportunity.

I think he may have said 'he knew what he was signing up for' as a mark of respect that the dead soldier was a brave man....but hey..........manipulate a widow why not, just as long as your confirmation bias gets its daily hit.

They are all the same, wake up and see what horrors are around us. All those Hollywood types slagging him off and now we see, the hypocrisy of their own behaviours, perverts, rapists, greedy women, we have racists in our own government and have had our fair share or sexual predators. Still pick on Trump it obviously gives some sort of satisfaction.

JessM Thu 26-Oct-17 09:28:04

Definitely worth 5 minutes. I want to have dinner with Borowitz.

Coconut Thu 26-Oct-17 09:28:26

If some gun toting nutter assassinates Trump, then we can all say “ he knew what he signed up for” !!
I agree that so many are hypocrites and after Weinstein a lot of high profile men will be worrying about their past catching up with them.
I did laugh when Piers Morgan chatted with Kim Cattrall on Monday. She said she had worked with Trump and he was bright orange and no one was allowed to touch his hair !!

GadaboutGran Thu 26-Oct-17 10:05:20

Two American acquaintances Of mine, one from NY and one from LA both despise Trump. However, they fear Pence replacing him even more as he is more right wing and far more politically astute. They said the saving grace of Trump is that he has no idea how to get his hare brained ideas through the political system. What an awful situation to be faced with.

Aslemma Thu 26-Oct-17 10:21:03

I can only hope he is forced out (or even assassinated) before he starts WW3. Just to see his ugly face and petulant manner gives me the shivers. It is not his lack of grace which is the problem but his total inability to see anything beyond his own prejudices.