Gransnet forums

News & politics

More Brexit lunacy

(1001 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 22-Dec-17 13:50:52

£490 million wasted spent on changing the colour of our passports. Which we could have done at any time in the last 30 years. Burgundy wasn't obligatory; not every EU country has a burgundy passport.

How many more £millions is this futile Brexit exercise going to cost the UK?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-passports-go-back-iconic-11736353

Somewhat ironic that the new blue is very similar to the colour of the EU flag...

jura2 Sun 21-Jan-18 21:11:11

Plenty of space in Calais- Dover is a nightmare with the cliffs so close. Maybe to regain Sovereingty we could bulldoze the cliffs - Vera would turn in her grave.

durhamjen Sun 21-Jan-18 21:18:19

When did she die?

Welshwife Sun 21-Jan-18 22:56:22

Eurotunnel seem to see lack of space as a huge problem.

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Jan-18 22:59:36

Vera didn't - she's 100!

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:00:51

durhamjen at which point would we change from driving on the left to driving on the right?
Halfway? Or could we just choose when we felt like it?

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 14:47:19

At the end of the day, as said before, the future of the country does NOT bleong to use grandparents, for sure, however we voted:

m.facebook.com/story.php…

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 14:52:47

ooops link didn't copy. But basically, natural wastage is at play- Brexiters are leaving the scene in droves- and young remainers are acquiring the right to vote even faster.

MaizieD Mon 22-Jan-18 16:55:52

durhamjen at which point would we change from driving on the left to driving on the right?

I have a vision of two bridges, Jalima, each carrying one way traffic, which cross over each other halfway. So you start on the left in the UK and finish on the right in France..

I'm sure those clever engineers could mange that grin

MaizieD Mon 22-Jan-18 16:56:22

or even manage that...

durhamjen Mon 22-Jan-18 17:48:18

I don't really care, anyway as nothing will be moving on it.
Which side are you allowed to park on in a car park?

varian Mon 22-Jan-18 18:28:06

I am not the only one who considers the BBC's coverage of Brexit extremely biased.

Ever since David Dimbleby said on hearing the result "That's it. We're out" the BBC has talked about Brexit as if it were a fait-a-complis. It is not.

I am an optimist, a glass half-full person and although I fear that Brexit could happen, with disastrous results, I do not regard it as inevitable and neither should the BBC.

The correct word to use when discussing Bbrexit is "IF" it happens, not "when" it happens.

metro.co.uk/2018/01/21/man-complains-bbc-saying-not-brexit-happens-7247915/

Welshwife Mon 22-Jan-18 18:34:19

James O’Brian has tweeted the reason he left Newsnight. All to do with his outspoken views on other media.

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:41:18

'durhamjen at which point would we change from driving on the left to driving on the right?'

really makes no difference at the end of the day. Until recently we had 3 cars, 1 RH drive automatic we drive both on left and right, 1 RH drive manual we only drove on left- and one LH manual car we only drove on right. You soon get used to it- excellent for ze little grey cells, as Poirot says.

Given the RH drive manual we had left in the UK, as we constantly had problems with battery- as we left it for months at times.

So now we mainly drive on the right- either RH drive automatic, or my little LH drive manual. Easy peasy.

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:42:01

but yes- half way would be fun ;)

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:42:17

but yes- half way would be fun ;)

varian Mon 22-Jan-18 18:52:01

Thanks Welshwife for pointing out why James O'Brien felt he had to leave BBC's Newsnight

www.pressgazette.co.uk/james-obrien-parts-ways-with-bbc-newsnight-rather-than-wind-neck-in-on-brexit-and-trump/

The BBC claims a reputation for neutrality which it certainly no longer deserves in relation to Brexit. During the EU referendum campaign every time sensible factual arguments for Remain were broadcast, the BBC had to give equal time to lies from the Leave campaign. The BBC should be held to account.

It is as if we had to decide whether the Earth is spherical or flat and the BBC insists on giving equal time to scientific experts and fantasists.

Since, with the help of the BBC and the right wing press, the Leavers won by a tiny margin in that advisory EU referendum, the BBC has come firmly down on their side.

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:28:41

I wonder who Dimbleby will invite every week to represent UKIP now? And how many times has the awful Isabel Oakeshott been on?

MaizieD Mon 22-Jan-18 19:42:30

According to Remainers on twitter Marr refers to them as 'Remoaners' which I think is downright unprofessional as well as being just plain rude.

OTH, if I stray onto a Brexitter's thread they're always accusing the BBC of being pro-Remain, so I'm not altogether sure of where it stands...

Tegan2 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:33:16

The S.O. was walking the dog today and got chatting with a man who, part way through the conversation started talking about all the foreigners taking up our hospital beds. No reason for his outburst whatsoever. Reminded me of the sort of conversations I used to hear at work which made me realise that brexit was probably going to happen. Good job I wasn't with him as I've stopped biting my tongue in situations like that angry...

GracesGranMK2 Mon 22-Jan-18 22:18:53

I don't see how any journalism can be neutral - you are reporting other peoples views. As long as you put both sides and - most important - fact check I would think that is all we can ask.

Tegan, I was talking to a check out person as I bagged my shopping the other day. It was very much an in passing comment between us about parking in the town which went off at an amazingly political tangent. I was really surprised she was saying such things to a customer while working! She was, of course, generally very pleasant and helpful but didn't seem to notice that I wasn't commenting.

Tegan2 Mon 22-Jan-18 22:53:12

Yes; I don't understand why such people automatically assume that everyone agrees with them.

jura2 Tue 23-Jan-18 10:28:27

www.facebook.com/bbcnewsnight/videos/10155232291706200/

Tegan2 Tue 23-Jan-18 12:14:19

I wish I'd been more vocal in the run up to the referendum. I couldn't, when I was working, anyway, because I was there to do a job, not earwig on peoples conversations. But I had a UKIP voting friend [now ex] that would constantly make comments about 'furriners' to which I never responded. Until the day that he said Farage was the only honest politician in this country, which just happened to be the day after Jo Cox was murdered.

varian Tue 23-Jan-18 14:04:37

The murder of Jo Cox was such a tragic event, yet even that, happening just before the referendum, did not seem to waken up the leave voters to the evil of the nationalistic far-right who were pushing brexit. Doubly tragic.

Tegan2 Tue 23-Jan-18 15:35:51

I went to see The Darkest Hour last night. Very good film; incredible acting etc etc. However, I spent most of the time thinking about Boris Johnsons biography of Churchill, and wondering just how much he likens himself to him. In fact, I've just read a review of the book which seems to confirm my suspicions and I am now convinced the man is totally delusional....[not that I didn't think it before....

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion