Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump: My Button Is Bigger Than Your Button.

(71 Posts)
Day6 Wed 03-Jan-18 13:51:52

I cannot believe Trump. He ought to write the "How Not to Do Diplomacy" handbook.

Was he right to stand up to North Korea's equally barmy Kim Jong Un? Part of me admires his lack of tact in this instance. If we tiptoe around bullies it gives them power. Is Trump's confrontation so bad? It's a weird way for heads of state to behave, for sure.

Their playground 'bring it on' behaviour could result in Armegeddon. sad

news.sky.com/story/my-button-is-much-bigger-trump-threatens-north-korea-with-nuclear-war-11193800

OldMeg Sat 06-Jan-18 05:46:08

And I’d add to BB’s post that Hitler was democratically elected. Just because some leader has managed to convince the stupid, the prejudiced and those with an agenda to vote for them, does not make for a good outcome.

OldMeg Sat 06-Jan-18 05:50:31

PS I know it’s nit as straight forward as that, but both Hitler and Trump gained power in a democracy.

durhamjen Sat 06-Jan-18 09:16:31

I can think of examples closer to home for that description, OldMeg.

gillybob Sat 06-Jan-18 09:30:34

I am not defending Trump BlueBelle I just don’t think it’s fair to compare him with KJU or indeed compare American people with those of North Korea.

North Koreans might as well be living in Mars as far as knowing what’s going on in the outside world. They worship KJU in robotic fashion and are not free to think for themselves.

I would reiterate that DT should stop taunting the lunatic that is KJU.

whitewave Sat 06-Jan-18 09:31:44

I do not consider Trump mentally stable either.

gillybob Sat 06-Jan-18 09:34:22

Perhaps he isn’t. I don’t know, but considering the successful businessman that he is, he is obviously a very clever man.

whitewave Sat 06-Jan-18 09:44:25

Clever in what way gilly? He doesn’t read, has difficulty in understanding concepts, has the attention span of a gnat.

Not my idea of clever.

gillybob Sat 06-Jan-18 09:58:58

Well to build up his empire in the way he has he can hardly be thick can he?

How do you know his attention span? How do you know he has difficulty understanding concepts?

It puzzles me.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jan-18 10:06:04

He such a successful business man he has been bankrupt a number of times he’s successful by kicking anyone in the teeth along the way to get what he wants and twisting all rules to his benefit his empire is built on his grandfathers success in the brothal industry and he used criminal means to get his money his parents are or were members of KKK
You might not think you are but you are defending a dangerous ruthless psychopath Gillybob who is so clever he conducts his presidency on Twitter

gillybob Sat 06-Jan-18 10:35:48

I’m not “defending”him BlueBelle I am just trying to say that I cannot compare DT with KJU. That’s it.

DH and I run our own business, we were advised many years ago to go bankrupt and start again but instead we ploughed everything we had into avoiding it. We sold our home, cashed in our pensions, sold our much loved caravan and just about everything else we owned. I can see a real idiot every time I look in the mirror.

Morgana Sat 06-Jan-18 18:56:01

But you can still look yourself in the eye and know you did the best you could.

W11girl Sat 06-Jan-18 19:16:23

Somehow his actions now have the North Koreans talking to the South which no other president achieved. Still a highly dangerous idiot in my opinion,

Rosina Sun 07-Jan-18 14:44:55

Previous presidents without exception seem to have come through the political system and have been senators or state governors. Presumably in these roles, like any politician, they have had to learn tact, diplomacy, negotiating skills etc. in order to climb the ladder. Trump has inherited wealth and power without any of these skills and it would seem that when he has shouted 'jump' the response has been 'how high?' This is clearly not working now; he has serious opposition in the Senate (and in his own party) and who is to say what this might be doing to his mental state?

M0nica Wed 10-Jan-18 15:47:28

I heard it commented that it is wrong to describe Trump as a business man. He has never run a large business with all the management complexity that required. Trump's success has been built up on his ability to make a deal, make some money and move on.

To use a BHS analogy. Trump has more in common with Dominic Chappell than Sir Philip Green.

Tegan2 Wed 24-Jan-18 20:55:44

I don't mention Trump much when I'm out and about [try not to think about him, to be honest] but twice now I've mentioned to someone [a woman that is] that I don't understand how any woman could have voted for the man given his attitude towards women, and twice I've had the reply 'well, would anyone want to vote for Hillary Clinton?'. I'm really confused by this confused. I can only assume that they don't agree with his misogyny [sp] but do agree with his racism [?].

varian Wed 24-Jan-18 21:01:46

I don't think Hillary Clinton was the ideal candidate although she was in many ways well qualified but had I beenan American I would have voted for her and campaigned for her. I would have voted for any Democrat who stood against Trunp.

varian Mon 16-Apr-18 16:11:25

Donald Trump "lies constantly" and is "morally unfit" to be US President, according to former FBI boss James Comey.

The man fired by Mr Trump last year told ABC News: "I don't buy this stuff about him being mentally incompetent or early stages of dementia.

"I don't think he's medically unfit to be President. I think he's morally unfit to be President," he added.

news.sky.com/story/trump-morally-unfit-to-be-president-says-fired-fbi-boss-comey-11333386

Primrose65 Wed 18-Apr-18 22:16:02

Yet now there seems to be talks between the US & North Korea. I would not have seen that coming 3 months ago. I'm gobsmacked to be honest.

Day6 Wed 18-Apr-18 22:27:43

Yes, Primrose.

That is the strangest outcome given all their prolonged and immature boasting, name-calling and threats. Neither do diplomacy!

Neither one was going to give way and perhaps the two recognised each others madness. You cannot play dangerous games and make threats about nuclear war and blowing the world to smithereens. Impasse reached and talks agreed. Weird.

Mind you, in a phone call earlier, a friend mentioned that if you type 'nuclear war' into a search engine, both the Express and Sun this evening have suggested it's imminent! I think Putin was being cast as the baddie in this instance though.

Iam64 Thu 19-Apr-18 08:53:09

Nothing that Mr T has done or said since he started his Presidential campaign has reassured me. I agree with James Comey that Trump isn't morally fit to be President. His campaign against Hilary was disgraceful, all that "lock her up" shouting.
The world would surely be a safer place if Hilary was in the White House rather than the Trumpster.