Gransnet forums

News & politics

NHS

(564 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 03-Jan-18 19:19:36

The situation we're in this week with the NHS, cancelled operations, frail and ill patients sitting in queues of ambulances outside A and E, etc etc.
The health secretary and PM are insisting they planned well for these pressures. Every doctor/nurse Ive heard interviewed is saying the situation is desperate and that the issue is lack of resources.
Local Authorities funds have been devastated so patients who could be discharged home if social care was available remain in hospital. People stay on trollies in A and E rather than being discharged because there isn't a Consultant available to confirm they ca go home.
Does anyone have a sensible suggestion about how this situation can be improved. I don't see how it can improve without more money, we need to train and support our medical staff.

Morgana Mon 22-Jan-18 14:39:41

I cannot understand why this government is convinced that we will not notice the mess they are making of the N.H.S. Do they not want to be elected again?

GracesGranMK2 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:55:33

There was some talk on one of the news programmes this morning Morgana and apparently (?) the Cons are aiming at the things they think will appeal to the young - hence the rush to be green, etc., - but don't think investing time or money in the NHS will help them because, apparently "Labour will always win on the NHS". I have no idea if this is true but it did seem to be going the rounds as something the journalist were hearing.

whitewave Mon 22-Jan-18 16:11:35

5 members of the cabinet, including the clown Johnson are insisting that Maybot focuses more on the NHS by promising £100million per week in recognition that Labour has the baton on this and is disappearing into the distance with the NHS. Tories see the NHS as the main problematic issue rather than any other including Brexit.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 22-Jan-18 17:06:45

I think the Tories are very foolish to ignore someone like Sarah Wollaston, the chair of the Health Select Committee and someone who basically became an MP to fight for the NHS and health matters.

Lazigirl Mon 22-Jan-18 17:35:54

I don't know what Sarah Wollaston is doing in the Tory party hmm.

durhamjen Mon 22-Jan-18 17:56:11

www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24761/sarah_wollaston/totnes/votes

This is why; taxes and benefits.

Iam64 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:44:55

Lazigirl, I agree with you about Sarah Wollaston. I almost wish she'd start a new party - then I remember she's a tory and very unlikely to do so. Im sure she won't join the LP with its current leadership. Apologies for going off piste and yearning for a party that could represent the many, not the few

Lazigirl Mon 22-Jan-18 19:19:17

Very interesting dj. It's a pity she doesn't recognise the link between poverty and ill health. We have just chosen a prospective PLP candidate who is a doctor so hope she does better when she gets in. We have a Tory MP at the moment but I am optimistic, roll on next election.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:49:48

Does anyone know who the LP MP was on DP today? He was a doctor and seemed a good new MP coming forward. I do like seeing the new faces.

Iam64 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:58:15

Thanks for that link durhamjen. If I'd seen it before my reactive comment, I'd have posted less positively about Sarah Wollaston. I don't understand how anyone in her line of work can vote against support for people in poverty, especially given the obvious and well documented links with poor physical and mental health.

Lazigirl Mon 22-Jan-18 20:02:02

Paul Williams GG

GracesGranMK2 Mon 22-Jan-18 20:08:39

I shall look him up. Thanks LG.

durhamjen Tue 23-Jan-18 16:43:58

For anyone on twitter.

nhap.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=937c3e62bc24fa37708920cc9&id=df110be6bc&e=814ede4ddc

durhamjen Tue 23-Jan-18 18:01:52

www.theweek.co.uk/nhs/91152/pm-slaps-down-boris-johnson-over-5bn-nhs-funding-demand

So Boris has annoyed both May and Hammond.
The worrying thing is that May has said that any conversations about the NHS should remain private.
Why?

Lazigirl Tue 23-Jan-18 18:25:43

They are worried that public are starting to agitate so they don't want to disclose too much information. I can only think that the present crisis in NHS has been carefully orchestrated and is going to plan preparing for privatisation. The BBC news seem to be peddling Government's propaganda so I have stopped watching.

durhamjen Tue 23-Jan-18 18:34:53

dpac.uk.net/2018/01/march-for-the-nhs-february-3rd/
For anyone who lives in London.

durhamjen Tue 23-Jan-18 18:36:01

Do you think that's why Hunt was closeted with May for so long at the reshuffle, Lazigirl?

Lazigirl Thu 25-Jan-18 10:39:56

I have just seen in Tuesday's Guardian that hospital doctors from outside EU have been blocked by Home Office from taking up vital NHS jobs. Apparently threshold for granting visas has changed and the criteria includes a salary threshold of £55k. Apparently the Home Office has said that doctors were not a priority because once the month's quota of Tier 2 applicants has been met, the first in line were people in shortage skills area or those with PhDs. The hospital jobs were for middle-level registrar and senior clinical fellow positions. I find this strange when the NHS is clearly in crisis, and apparently recruits from EU drying up.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 25-Jan-18 11:46:48

Yes, and it shows why a quota system does not work well

Doctors blocked by Home Office

whitewave Thu 25-Jan-18 13:15:41

Hunt

Cancer drugs will be in short supply if there is no Brexit deal

durhamjen Thu 25-Jan-18 16:36:17

Tessa Jowell talking about brain cancer drugs in the house of lords now. On BBCnews channel.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 25-Jan-18 17:51:21

I have no idea how many hankies came out but it was very moving Jen. It sounds as if she has been given a very tough row to hoe.

whitewave Thu 25-Jan-18 18:33:10

She is one of the nicest MPs ever, always most polite and a person of integrity.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 25-Jan-18 18:40:59

I was shocked at her appearance. sad

durhamjen Thu 25-Jan-18 19:17:05

I only watched five minutes of it. Couldn't watch any more.
That's what my husband died of six years ago.