Gransnet forums

News & politics

UKIP, EDL, BNP .... what will happen when Brexit falls apart?

(146 Posts)
jura2 Mon 15-Jan-18 15:04:35

We can mock and laugh, and also feel sorry for some of the people whose comments in TV and newspaper interviews, and rants in streets or public transport- often showing very poor level of education and understanding - but they will be dangerous- and Farage is egging them on?!

TerriBull Mon 22-Jan-18 17:42:59

Andrew Marr interviewed Macron on his politics programme yesterday, the President admitted very honestly, that the French, if they were given a referendum, would quite possibly vote to leave too, although he did say it was a mistake to ask "yes" or "no" without asking how they could improve the situation, which I took to mean how could France's membership be made more agreeable to the French Euro sceptics. Isn't that what Cameron was trying to negotiate for Britain prior to the referendum, without success. In fact isn't that what Eastern European countries are doing without a referendum, merely cherry picking by rejecting EU directives on taking their share of asylum seekers.

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:17:17

it is certainly not British Sovereing Parliamentary Democracy- for sure. The UK is NOT Switzerland (I know more than most here ;) ) -

In Switzerland, we do have a Direct Democracy, with referendums. And the Government does give very clear and detailed information, unbiased and without lies- about both sides of the argument.

I thought you wanted to regain British Sovereignty- and that is Parliamentary Democracy, with the Lords as balancing chamber- which the Brexiters are trying to gag now- Totally un-British for sure.

As Farage said himself, a 48/52 decision can never be final. And as David Davis said 'if people cannot change their mind in a Democracy, it ceases to be a Democracy'.

suzied Mon 22-Jan-18 17:15:21

But the way its going could be Brexitino (in name only), idle Nigel and the shattered remains of UKIP will not feel this is much of a triumph.

lemongrove Mon 22-Jan-18 17:08:52

I’m sorry you will feel thwarted Jura but that’s democracy for you, and the vote did not go your way.

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 14:42:55

So Farage, half a sarny short of a picnic, 10 fags out of a packet, or 3 short of a 6 pack more like ;) ?

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 14:38:50

Au contraire, lemon, au contraire.

Morgana Mon 22-Jan-18 14:17:37

Thanks for that link Durham Jen. The government must have known surely? Are there no legal people in the House of commons or civil service!!

lemongrove Mon 22-Jan-18 11:55:33

Anybody hopeful of Brexit not happening is definitely a glass half full sort of person! Of course it will happen, both Parties will see to that.
More like the three monkeys going ‘Brexit might not happen’ ???

durhamjen Mon 22-Jan-18 10:05:33

Sounds like the three monkeys, but with mouth still going.
"Brexit will happen, Brexit will happen, Brexit will happen....", not listening or seeing anything which might suggest otherwise.

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 10:05:05

'Since Brexit will happen, nobody will ‘be thwarted’ .'

if it does happen, an awful lot of people will be thwarted- like the 74% who did NOT vote for it, and all those in the 26% who now realise the true consequences and how massively they were lied to..

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 10:03:24

There is no 'of course' about it at all- and every day less so imho.

ninny Mon 22-Jan-18 09:26:56

Of course Brexit will happen.

durhamjen Sun 21-Jan-18 17:48:30

www.crowdjustice.com/case/a50-chall-her-e50/

Update on whether Brexit will happen.

lemongrove Sun 21-Jan-18 17:33:24

Since Brexit will happen, nobody will ‘be thwarted’ .
You can all rest easy in your beds.
It doesn’t matter what Farage once said ( or indeed is saying right now.)
Talk about ‘shouting out before you are hurt’ why worry about the remote possibility of a scenario happening.

MaizieD Sun 21-Jan-18 14:04:03

has to legally abide by the Treaties it has signed with the EU Parliament who decide what some of our laws/dictate will be

A process into which we have had input, as have all EU members. And, we have initiated many of these hated 'laws'. And even drafted them. And they apply throughout the EU because that is how the EU achieves its mutually agreed goals to improve the lives of its citizens.

Of course they have to be taken back into our legal system if we leave the EU but to imply they were unwanted by us at the time of their making and imposed by an arbitrary and domineering body, completely detached from the members which comprise it, called 'the EU' is just being melodramatic.

I suggest people read this long and illuminating twitter thread and see how closely the UK has been involved in making EU laws and policy

twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/884474494512975872

whitewave Sun 21-Jan-18 13:57:25

Yes it is the far right predicting riots etc. Posters on here are merely pointing out the extremes some on the right will go to if they are thwarted over Brexit

suzied Sun 21-Jan-18 13:56:02

I'm not sure that there is "no problem" of right wing extremists in the UK, if what you can read online is anything to go by , including those vile tweets made by the UKIP leader's (forgotten his name already) latest glamour model girlfriend.

suzied Sun 21-Jan-18 13:54:11

Didn't idle Nigel predict rioting if parliament were allowed the vote on Brexit?

jura2 Sun 21-Jan-18 12:57:10

I sincerely hope my concerns will prove to be wrong- couldn't be happier to be proven wrong.

November- and happy to report that I saw no evidence at all in my small market town in the East Midlands- which does not mean it does not exist, or that there is no potential for it to get worse if and when.

ninny Sun 21-Jan-18 12:38:32

Think you are over reacting jura, when did you last visit England I assure you there is no problem here and even if there was a few extreme right wingers they would be swiftly dealt with. Think you have been Googling too much.

POGS Sun 21-Jan-18 12:31:23

jura 2

Is someone advocating 'Insurrection' which will cause civil unrest a person you hold in the same or different light?

I find both the far left and far right obnoxious and I worry about them both to be honest.

jura2 Sun 21-Jan-18 12:12:10

'I wonder sometimes if people hope for some civil unrest if they can’t actually have Armageddon after we leave the EU.,

truly unpleasant this.

Reminds me of my grandfather who told my mother she was silly about being upset about what she witnessed in Munich in 1933- and that she should shut up about it.

lemongrove Sun 21-Jan-18 11:50:43

It was all that roast chicken he ate ww wink

whitewave Sun 21-Jan-18 11:49:41

There-in lies the problem.

Henry VIII looms large

POGS Sun 21-Jan-18 11:48:00

"Parliament never stopped 'making all our own laws'. "

True .

Our Parliament has to 'pass' our laws but our Parliament has by way of being an EU Member also has to legally abide by the Treaties it has signed with the EU Parliament who decide what some of our laws/dictate will be .

Hence we are seeing the magnitude of what has been accepted by governments of no one political party over the years and the present government trying to get through the EU Withdrawal Bill.

What it's all about:-

As its informal name suggests, the repeal bill will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, which took Britain into the EU and meant that EUROPEN LAW TOOK PRECEDENCE OVER LAWS PASSED IN THE UK PARLIAMENT. It will also end the power of the European Court of Justice in the UK.

All existing EU legislation will be copied across into domestic UK law to ensure a smooth transition on the day after Brexit.

We have become so used to not making decisions 'entirely' as a sovereign it will now take years to unravel. Of course it may well be the case we adopt and keep most of the legislation anyway but it will be for our MP's to decide.