Gransnet forums

News & politics

NHS

(34 Posts)
Jackthelad Mon 05-Feb-18 15:43:39

I have a question. All the time I hear the cry the NHS is failing through lack of money. Is this true?
Supposing the NHS had access to all the money it wanted would it really cure all its problems and be the wonderful service we would all like it to be? I don't know do you?

Anniebach Tue 06-Feb-18 18:13:39

MOnica, I accept trying to get someone to eat when they will not is a battle lost. But reading the statement by the director of AgeU.K. This was not the only reason, the elderly who find shopping difficult, who develop depression from lonliness .

I am not saying more is needed from the NHS and for the NHS but I see such a change in communities , old people are not respected as they once were

durhamjen Fri 09-Feb-18 20:35:14

www.24housing.co.uk/news/housing-services-should-be-the-equal-of-health-and-social-care/

This sounds like an extremely good idea to me.

durhamjen Sat 10-Feb-18 11:18:41

"A&E performance in the NHS is the worst it has been since records began - on a number of key indicators. Yet demand fell compared to the previous month.

An A&E that is struggling more than ever - in spite of lower demand - is a sign of an NHS in collapse because of persistent under-resourcing by a Tory government that has slashed the rate of NHS funding increases to a fraction of the historical norm.

No wonder the Tories have decided to stop measuring it for over a year - a tactic the Tories have used before when reports and statistics expose the damage their policies are causing - assuming they even restart in April 2019 when they have said they will.

The 'safe in our hands' promise that got the Tories into power in 2010 now looks like a sick joke - a 'joke' that is costing lives and inflicting misery on thousands of people waiting at A&E and on the tens of thousands who have had to wait in pain and fear because their planned operations have been cancelled."

So there were fewer people going to A&E in January, they cancelled 50,000 appointments to allow for it being worse, yet only 77% of people being seen within 4 hours.

No wonder they want to cancel collection of statistics for over a year.

durhamjen Mon 12-Feb-18 18:39:44

publicmatters.org.uk/category/blog/

About stopping the STPs, etc.

durhamjen Wed 14-Feb-18 16:03:58

Proof that privatisation of the NHS does not work, and should not be considered.

in early 2015, Serco walked away from a contract for GP ‘out of hours’ services in Cornwall after criticism of its service by the Commons Public Accounts Committee, which said Serco’s out-of-hours service was “not good enough” and that the company had struggled to ensure enough staff were available
in 2016, Virgin Care closed a popular medical centre in West Oxfordshire. Virgin Care’s contract had expired and when the company decided not to rebid, no alternative could be found. 4,400 patients had to find treatment elsewhere. Patients were left in tears when the closure was announced
also in 2016, a Cambridge £800m end of life contract run by UnitingCare Partnership collapsed after 8 months, after the consortium ran into difficulties (evidence)
in 2015, A £1bn NHS contract to run Hinchingbrooke Hospital collapsed after private firm Circle failed to make it financially viable and withdrew from the contract. A neighbouring NHS Trust had to step in and form a new, larger trust to take over the running of the hospital
in 2014, Care UK announced that it was exiting its contract to run a GP Practice in Newcastle early. The decision put the care of 7,000 patients at risk. The contract should have run until August last year
in 2014, Serco ended its contract to run Braintree Hospital early because it wasn’t making enough money for the company
in 2014, Care UK agreed to end a contract to run two care homes in Norfolk after concerns were raised over standards failures, including missed homecare visits (evidence)
in 2016, Interserve’s £300m contract to run cleaning, catering and maintenance services for the NHS in Leicester was scrapped 4 years early after serious concerns over standards of cleanliness
in 2017, Primecare ended its NHS 111 and out of hours contract barely a year into a three-year contract after a ‘damning inspection‘
in 2017, Nottingham University Hospitals cancelled a £200m NHS contract with Carillion after allegations of ‘filthy‘ wards

durhamjen Mon 19-Feb-18 10:24:47

chpi.org.uk/blog/fake-news-nhs/

Misuse of statistics in the NHS.

durhamjen Mon 19-Feb-18 10:42:34

www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/660

Still only 150 MPs signed this. Has yours?

durhamjen Mon 19-Feb-18 14:59:21

metro.co.uk/2018/02/18/disabled-woman-left-die-council-cut-18-care-services-7322427/

This is awful. It shouldn't have been allowed.
Someone should be held to account for this. In fact it must be criminal.